An Old School Catholic Message Board

Duck Dynasty Dis

add

I've never seen Duck Dynasty, nor do I ever plan to, however i wonder why a man cannot express an unfavorable opinion on homosexuality in the United States without being accused of hate speech and fired. I'm growing tired of being pushed around by intolerant, anti-Christian atheistic and liberals type people.

as Robertson said  " never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job,"

CatholicsAreKewl

It kinda makes sense if the work contract allows for it. Image is important. The way to fight this is by not watching A&E.

The guy from GLAAD said something about not wanting his kid to open up a magazine and read that homosexuality is wrong.  That made me laugh considering these are people that want my kid to open up a public schoolbook and read that homosexuality is ok.

The Media, the homosexuals, the left... they aren't even relativistic (<--- correct use of the word FP?) anymore.  They have a morality and they want to force it down our throats and if we disagree, they treat us like apostates.  

I agree mostly, but to be fair why do you need to talk about vaginas and anuses?

This is what (I think) is the quote from the GQ interview where all the madness started:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2o1w7LZWJ

However I do feel very similarly with this article from NPR

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/12/19/255430555/duck-and-cover-what-exactly-is-the-point?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

In suspending him, A&E released a statement in which it said, according to CNN, "We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. ... His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

Now, ask yourself what kind of sense this makes.

For one thing, A&E is not only explaining that Phil's personal beliefs — which, for him, are part and parcel of the religious faith that has been one of the show's selling points — do not reflect the position of the network. It is explaining that Phil's personal beliefs are not reflected in the show that is ostensibly about Phil. I'm trying to remember whether I've ever seen a network point out quite so clearly — if perhaps accidentally — that you don't have to punish Show Phil for the things that are said in the press by Actual Phil.

For another, it seems vanishingly unlikely that A&E has filmed Phil for 50 episodes and didn't know he felt this way. That makes it hard to believe the suspension is meant to send Phil off to rethink his position on gay people or learn to be more tolerant if they haven't done so before. It seems that Real Phil is instead being suspended for opening his mouth to GQ and fussing with the carefully maintained image of Show Phil by telling people what he actually thinks — by telling people who have appreciated his family's devotion to devotion, as it were, about the parts of their faith that A&E doesn't talk about.

Also, for anyone interested, this is the official statement by the Robinson family in response to what happened. 

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate. We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right. We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.
 http://duckcommander.com/news/robertson-family-offical-statement#.UrPOE_BtNKQ.facebook

Semper Catholic

Give me a break. You can't say the bigoted things he said without consequences. Sorry but it's called personal responsibility. For the record he also said things about black people that was just as disgusting.

The whole persona is a made up crock. Before they were famous they were a bunch of white bread golfing WASPS. Not hillbillies.

Semper Catholic

I've never seen Duck Dynasty, nor do I ever plan to, however i wonder why a man cannot express an unfavorable opinion on homosexuality in the United States without being accused of hate speech and fired. I'm growing tired of being pushed around by intolerant, anti-Christian atheistic and liberals type people.
as Robertson said " never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job,"

I've never seen such blind hypocrisy before. You talk about "intolerance and not being judgemental" when this guy's whole life revolves around not tolerating homosexuality and African americans.

Give me a break. You can't say the bigoted things he said without consequences. Sorry but it's called personal responsibility. For the record he also said things about black people that was just as disgusting.

The whole persona is a made up crock. Before they were famous they were a bunch of white bread golfing WASPS. Not hillbillies.

You Mr SC, are a great example of the new moralistic facism of the left... Where saying one personally finds something immoral immediately becomes bigotry and requires "consequences."

Semper Catholic

You Mr SC, are a great example of the new moralistic facism of the left... Where saying one personally finds something immoral immediately becomes bigotry and requires "consequences."

No, bigotry is not up for interpretation. Hating minority groups is bigotry. It just is. The Klan hold many of the same beliefs Phil Robertson does. Why aren't you on their door step trying to help them get a tv show?

No, bigotry is not up for interpretation. Hating minority groups is bigotry. It just is. The Klan hold many of the same beliefs Phil Robertson does. Why aren't you on their door step trying to help them get a tv show?

And in the tried and true leftist tradition...

Seeing something as immoral is now bigotry, which only you apparently are free to interpret...

Seeing something as immoral also becomes "hate"...

Seeing something as immoral then gets you compared to some really awful group (usually nazi's, but in this case the Klan.)

Can we stop using political parties as a means to bring someone down? Whether he is left or right doesnt really matter. He is expressing an opinion and that doesnt mean it has any particular connection to a political party.

Semper Catholic

And in the tried and true leftist tradition...

Seeing something as immoral is now bigotry, which only you apparently are free to interpret...

Seeing something as immoral also becomes "hate"...

Seeing something as immoral then gets you compared to some really awful group (usually nazi's, but in this case the Klan.)

Actually you're right. Just like Phil said segregation and Jim crow laws really aren't that bad.

Semper Catholic

Can we stop using political parties as a means to bring someone down? Whether he is left or right doesnt really matter. He is expressing an opinion and that doesnt mean it has any particular connection to a political party.

Not only is it a bad argument but it's also a lazy one.

This is another leftist tactic... I disagree with someone's arguments and I get accused of putting them down.   That's a non-sequitir.

Edited by NotreDame

Actually you're right. Just like Phil said segregation and Jim crow laws really aren't that bad.

GLAAD didn't complain because of those comments, nor did A&E single out those comments when they suspended him, so they aren't germane to discussing is suspension.