An Old School Catholic Message Board

Duck Dynasty Dis

add

I think you may be overreacting a little. Freedom of speech is about freedom from legal prosecution isn't it? I mean if I was employed by the Catholic church and I said "God is dead" you'd support them firing me wouldn't you?

A&E has the freedom to drop people for any reason, of course. 

Why it's especially worrying to me is that this (dropping someone for simply calling homosexuality immoral) is happening in the context of multiple, genuine infringements on the freedom of religion... From being forced to pay for birth control via the ACA, to rulings forcing photographers and wedding cake makers to work same-sex weddings:

http://www.examiner.com/article/christian-photographers-must-shoot-gay-weddings

It's not a situation where provision is being made for the private sector vs public.  People that think like that rarely make the distinction between the two anyway. 

Why it's especially worrying to me is that this (dropping someone for simply calling homosexuality immoral) is happening in the context of multiple, genuine infringements on the freedom of religion... From being forced to pay for birth control via the ACA, to rulings forcing photographers and wedding cake makers to work same-sex weddings:

http://www.examiner.com/article/christian-photographers-must-shoot-gay-weddings

It's not a situation where provision is being made for the private sector vs public.  People that think like that rarely make the distinction between the two anyway. 

Of course, but these things that you mention did not happen here. Just because we may be on the side of the fence that doesn't agree with the decision doesn't mean we should cry persecution at every little thing that doesn't go our way. It makes us look hyper-reactionary and that means people will take us even less seriously than they already do.

Make any sense?

Of course, but these things that you mention did not happen here. Just because we may be on the side of the fence that doesn't agree with the decision doesn't mean we should cry persecution at every little thing that doesn't go our way. It makes us look hyper-reactionary and that means people will take us even less seriously than they already do.

Make any sense?

Yes, it makes sense, but I never cried persecution.  I called the people facists, which is what they are.  I don't think it makes me look hyper-reactionary and it's ok with me if you feel differently.

(That said, I do believe the elite and the left hate the Church and that this is a form persecution.)

Edited by NotreDame

Yes, it makes sense, but I never cried persecution. I called the people facists, which is what they are. I don't think it makes me look hyper-reactionary and it's ok with me if you feel differently.

(That said, I do believe the elite and the left hate the Church and that this is a form persecution.)

So the left "facists" are or are not persecuting the church?

So the left "facists" are or are not persecuting the church?

At this point it's probably fair to say that it is a matter of opinion whether there is an element in the US trying (and in some cases successfully) persecuting Christians (including the Catholic Church.)  My opinion you could probably guess.  Others would feel differently. 

At this point it's probably fair to say that it is a matter of opinion whether there is an element in the US trying (and in some cases successfully) persecuting Christians (including the Catholic Church.) My opinion you could probably guess. Others would feel differently.

There certainly are some in the United States (including portions of our government) that are hypersensitive to religious and conservative free speech. Those who are in positions of power within the media are the most obvious examples of liberal hypersensitivity. I seriously doubt this is persecution or facism though. That usually implies a level of physical coercion, or threat of physical coercion.

Do employers have the freedom to fire people for any reason?

Do employers have the freedom to fire people for any reason?

If they are white males?  Yes.  :hehe2:

But in all seriousness, good catch.  I don't think anyone is doubting their right to indefinitely suspend the duck-father.

Give me a break. You can't say the bigoted things he said without consequences. Sorry but it's called personal responsibility. For the record he also said things about black people that was just as disgusting.

The whole persona is a made up crock. Before they were famous they were a bunch of white bread golfing WASPS. Not hillbillies.

This was very bigoted, was it from the show ?

ed

At this point it's probably fair to say that it is a matter of opinion whether there is an element in the US trying (and in some cases successfully) persecuting Christians (including the Catholic Church.)  My opinion you could probably guess.  Others would feel differently. 

Yea, before you know it they will try and close the embassy in the Vatican to diminish Rome's status as a sovereign state.....

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

Yea, before you know it they will try and close the embassy in the Vatican to diminish Rome's status as a sovereign state.....

ed

Well... that's obviously crazy-talk :paperbag:

but the more you think about it, on one hand we have individuals being let go for expressing basic christian morality...  then I was reminded that whole businesses have been targeted for expressing belief in the same morality:

In Chicago, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has told Chick-fil-A that the fast-food company is not welcome in his town because "Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values." In other words, because Chick-fil-A ownership believes in traditional marriage, it shouldn't bother opening up shop in Chicago.

I'll be honest that at my last job I was surrounded by "elites".  My friends that were managers had to have gays, women, and minorities on their staff.  Our VP spouted off about supporting Obama, my boss called republicans stupid, etc. etc. As a white orthodox cathoic, if I spoke my mind the way they did, I believe my job would have been in jeopardy. 

Having that in a private business is one thing.  What's making it scary is that it's moving into governments.  Federal, state, and municipal.

Bah gawd the gays trying to be treated like us normals. They're the bullies.

If being treated like normal means everyone everywhere supporting your moral choices lest they be labeled hateful bigots, well... then you are right.  GLAAD in this case just wants to be treated normal.