An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Sin Is Grace Abounds.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

After reading that pedophile thread that you started that magically got deleted by the mods I think you need major psychiatric help.

I'm tending to agree with you here...

For those of us who didn't see what this guy just posted in his pedophile thread. Thanks mods for covering that up.

But I really question your judgement in re-posting that same strange material here in this thread.  If it was deleted over there, it was for a reason. 

Semper Catholic

I'm tending to agree with you here...

But I really question your judgement in re-posting that same strange material here in this thread.  If it was deleted over there, it was for a reason. 

[mod]Public criticism of the mods.  

Or, instead of your theory/criticism, it could have just been thought a post was beyond salvaging via edit and was hidden (see: not deleted) while we decide how severe a punishment is and that the two of us who saw what I've deleted of your repost, felt it deserved the full view of all three mods and Dust, because we were not going to act alone based upon the content. -BG.[/mod]

If it was a moderator condemning what he said, his post would have been heavily edited and a comment in red font would have been made. Given the subject matter it comes off as trying to cover it up rather then condemnation

What's the point of a thread where every single comment has been removed with nothing but a "Ed: Comment Deleted"  in it's place?  Removing the entire thread makes sense.  Getting all riled up about it and throwing around words like "condemnation" and "cover-up" is a bit over the top.

Thanks for the back up barbara, most here in fact 99% avoid discussing or debating with me nowadays, unsure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, and whether it is me or others, but it makes me feel unwelcome.

Tab,

I'm not trying to be mean - think of this as a "big bro" offering a "little bro" some mentoring advice - but I think that the issue is that 99% here can't understand what you post.  Occasionally I can "break the code" (as some have called it); other times I just think of Manuel on Fawlty Towers. 

After reading that pedophile thread that you started that magically got deleted by the mods I think you need major psychiatric help.

As the mod who initially hid the thread (note -- we CAN hide threads while the other mods are weighing in) I have to speak up

a) the initial intention *was* to figure out what to do with the thread, and if it was possible, bring it back

b) when the report came through, I was not somewhere where I could freely make edits ... especially with specific sexual references/details/etc.

c) we have said this in the past -- if something is too explicit it does NOT belong in a completely open area of the phorum.  Here's a good guideline -- do you want your underage child reading this?  I don't necessarily mean teens ... but think about a 10 year old?  Or a 12 year old?  They're old enough to use the net, and *could* innocently run into threads like these.

d) this *is* a Catholic forum, and we try really hard to hold our Catholic beliefs on here.  The initial post was, in my mind, controvertial enough to hide while the mods figure out what is appropriate.

Can a thread about pedophilia and the sex abuse scandal be opened up in Phatmass in debate table?  Absolutely -- it just needs to be respectful, and not get into sexual specifics.  And that was the main problem I saw in the 1st post.

Taking an assumption that we are "hiding" the issue really is disrespectful to all mods on this Phorum.  We tend to do a light handed modding on here, and only step in when it really does seem necessary.

Finally -- remember, all mods do this for free.  We're volunteers.  And sometimes we cannot act immediately.

*Not* closing this thread obviously, but the other thread in question *will* stay hidden for now.

I can get riled up about something, write a post and wind up deleting it rather than posting.  I try and especially (but not only of necessity) if I am riled up or know my statement(s) will invite controversy to write the post into Word and then leave it for a while, until hopefully I have cooled down/thought through more likely controversy - and then reread and post if I decide to do so but most times, once I have cooled down, I delete it.   But I think I have learnt the hard way by posting and then regretting. 

I don't think I am alone in posting and then regretting.  The issue re the questionable post had been dealt with by moderators - and unfair to raise it again in a completely different thread and totally different subject and by reposting the questionable post which had been deleted it seems.  Reminds me of a story from the Fathers where a young monk had been banished from choir for a period for a quite serious offence.  For some days after the prior was also missing from choir and finally his council went to his cell to enquire if he was ok.  His reply was "I too am a sinner".  Our sinfulness differs only in kind and not unusual in human nature to whitewash my own failures and point the finger at those of others or "My sin is pardonable, but yours is not"

throwing around words like "condemnation" and "cover-up" is a bit over the top.

I agree.  Perhaps Tab asked for it to be deleted.

but I think that the issue is that 99% here can't understand what you post. 

This is an assumption not fact.  It is a personal opinion only.

And cruel to Tab to post it publicly, I am assuming - while I presume intention probably not cruelty at all.  Better handled by private message.

I think you need major psychiatric help.   

Assumption again and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I would be sending my opinion if I really felt the necessity via private message rather than publicly.

Whether Phatmass rules state it or not, as Catholics we are bound by Charity and concern for others on all levels - and at all times and in all instances and especially on a Catholic discussion site open to the public and the whole world.   The difficult matter in some instances can be to discern what is charitable and what is not charitable in a certain situation.  Some members, I know, are not Catholics.

Tab, I hope you are ok!

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I saw the other thread, and have read this one.  I'm praying for all involved, and for the Mods to make a good and loving decision to do what they feel they should do.  

Barbara, I really liked what you wrote about ideas for how to discern whether to post something.  There have been times I have drafted something.... and left the thread up and came back to review it in an hour... and realize that THAT comment CANNOT or SHOULD NOT be posted.  Or that God's grace has descended on me like a 2x4 and I realize that I need to reply in a totally different -- and more loving -- way.   Pausing and praying is a skill we ALL can and should develop.

And.... sometimes it can be a good idea to run an idea past someone else -- would this make a good topic?  Would this be a good response?   Again, has saved me a LOT of grief in the past, and I share it with everyone -- if it is helpful, use it!

:heart: and :pray: for all who come here....

:) You made a good suggestion yourself, AL. God is Good!  I try to remember to pray for my time on the computer for the rest of the day during Morning Prayer - if I said that I always remember, I would be remiss.  But then I truly believe that The Lord knows our deepest heart and mind, our most heartfelt intentions, - even if the mind is overly forgetful and the heart sometimes quite sensibly cold.  I have a statue of St Joseph, Patron of The Church, to the left of my computer.  And about time I got a statue or pic of St Isidore of Seville, Patron Saint of Computers, to the right of me I think.

But then if hell is indeed lined with good intentions...........I will be a star citizen! :)

Most of all thank you for the love and prayers for those of us in this thread and Mods -  and for all Phatmass members.  Whenever I am able at times to put my best foot forward, I like to think that it is probably some contemplative nun (or person) somewhere doing some ordinary and mundane task who has earned the Grace for me - and with her mind and heart on the needs of others.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I think the mods were spot on to hide that thread until they make a decision. When I first saw it, I thought I had wandered into a loony bin forum. I couldn't think of anything even remotely sensible to post about it and couldn't understand why it was even started in the first place - what was its intention? In fact, it actually made me not want to be on this forum anymore, so I left and went over to some other Catholic forums that I know and use. If threads like that are going to be the standard diet around here, I won't even bother to visit. I don't post often and mostly just read, but that stuff just made my stomach turn.

When I came back later, I looked around to see what had happened to it - wondering if any mods would edit it. I didn't see it but stumbled into this thread instead only to find mention of that other thread. So I say, well done, mods, well done. There is absolutely no need for that kind of insanity here or anywhere. A polite debate on the Debate Table about different aspects of the topic might be ok - but that was just garbage. To me, it's nothing personal about the poster - but really, a little self-censorship wouldn't go astray.

The thread in question was taken seriously and a warning was issued for it.  It was an unacceptable perspective for this phorum.   Any questions, PM me or another mod.  

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Think about it. How, what, when, where and why. The thread was kind of to get people to think about this scandal and not be so quick to jump on the media or the worlds hotline. Yeah it was confronting but what sin isn't, particularly one of such gravity. And it was never my intention to belittle the seriousness of paedophilia. I didn't think the O.P was that bad perhaps it was especially for children under the age of i guess 16 perhaps it was an M rated thread and i was grasping at straws because i don't understand it myself, but than i got vulgar and for that i am guilty and i am very sorry for that. Perhaps it is not for us laymen to think or deal with, perhaps it is for the Vatican and the other authorities that be to deal with and sort out. 

But the darkness has come to light and i personally am not going to ignore it but will not discuss it here any more until the mods and dUSt have made a decision on the post. I do hope anyway that the stuff after the o.p that i said is deleted if the thread is bought back. Whatever is decided will be good and i trust dUSt and the mods and i guess in a moment of madness i forgot to think about the children and didn't realise this was a G rated sight, somehow stupidly got the impression it was PG. All in all rebuke accepted and understood and i will endevor to keep my topics rated G. And just so you all know i'm kind of a child of the streets and at times can be vulgar in heart and mind and word but am getting better with the grace of God, in all truth he healed me about 9 years ago when i was born again, it was miraculous but somehow i tossed it in the can and slowly over about the last 3 and a half years has been a descent back into hell but seemingly this time God wants me to heal slowly for whatever reason, i guess to make sure this time that i know the difference between the dark and the light, i don't know i just have to trust him. It's not that i don't wan't healing but i am being called i think to greater heights of holiness and that is scaring me half to death because in all truth i actually don't trust God enough but it is a growing thing right ? 

Unsure if i'm not meant to post this and i value all your opinions whether i think there right or wrong, i am learning a lot in phatmass about acceptance of others opinions and there right to have an opinion and there own personality whether i like it or not and that i don't have to fear that. And if my posts are incoherent than please don't be afraid to point out to me which bits you don't get and i will try and explain better, i kind of just type straight out without much thought or editing except for the spelling, and i am sorry for that also but am working on it and getting better at proof reading before i hit enter sometimes but not often yet.

Again i am truly sorry and hope we can go back to the topic of the O.P for this thread.

God bless you all.

Jesus is LORD. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Thanks for the back up barbara, most here in fact 99% avoid discussing or debating with me nowadays, unsure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, and whether it is me or others, but it makes me feel unwelcome.

I liked it all and agree except the seemingly call to extreme consistant suffering bit at the end to come to fruition of perfection in Grace. I guess some can take more and some less and some in between for Holy scripture also tells us that " God will never give us more than we can handle, anything else is of the devil."

Young men of God rise up!

Onward christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD.

Are you referring to this verse?

1 Cor 10:13

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Tab,

We are here to share our love to one another and you are doing it just fine.  

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Are you referring to this verse?

1 Cor 10:13

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Tab,

We are here to share our love to one another and you are doing it just fine.  

Unsure if it was that exact verse or if i just have a different translation, but this verse is great for this discussion because it says the temptation to sin is common to man but God always provides a way out which is a part of his Grace. But we have to accept that way out, kind of like being given an apple but the person has to eat it or he has to eat something else that isn't grace.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye