An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

chat_logo.png

More problems just now than the proverbial cat with fleas.  I may or may not be posting here much at all but I haven't forgotten this thread if I don't get around to it. 

chat_logo.png

More fun and games.  MSN switched my emails from Hotmail to Outlook without asking nor advising.  I had so many problems with Outlook that this morning I did a System Restore to an earlier date to try to get back to Hotmail.  It worked and I am on Hotmail ok again - if IF MSN do not suddenly switch me to Outlook once more.

The final problem with Outlook was that I could not send emails at all - and where I had attached a file, it was not recorded in my SENT Folder hence I had no idea whether the file had gone with the email or not.

Insult to injury.  I Googled to try and sort out Outlook.  I got answers ok, but I could not understand the directions.

When you can't understand an answer to a question - then you know you really have problems. :lol4: 

My objective is that when frustrated by situations, I do not get bad tempered.  So far no luck.

thank-god-for-everything1.jpg

Thank You, God for nature and all the incredibly beautiful places You have provided for us to get away from it all and into the peace and quiet, stillness, of nature.

32199510-wood-bench-leaf-fall-yellow-lea

Catechism in a Year - http://flocknote.com/catechism

536. How is Abraham a model or prayer?

Abraham is a model of prayer because he walked in the presence of God, heard and obeyed him. His prayer was a battle of faith because he continued to believe in the fidelity of God even in times of trail. Besides, after having received in his own tent the visit of the Lord who confided his plan to him, Abraham dared to intercede for sinners with bold confidence.

Further reading: CCC 2570-2573, 2592

537. How does Moses pray?

The prayer of Moses was typical of contemplative prayer. God, who called to Moses from the burning bush, lingered in conversations with him often and at length, "face to face, like a man with his friend" (Exodus 33:11). In this intimacy with God, Moses attained the strength to intercede tenaciously for this people: his prayer thus prefigured the intercession of the one mediator, Christ Jesus.

Further reading: CCC 2574-2577, 2593

medical-laughter_is_the_best_medicine-me

Finding a bottle on the beach, Jake uncorks it and releases a genie. 

"Ah, now you get three wishes," says the genie. 

"Great!" Jake replies. "First, I want one billion dollars."Poof! There's a flash, and a paper with Swiss bank account numbers appears in Jake's hand.

"Next, I want a nice ocean-side house in Hawaii."Poof! Another flash, and he is holding the deed to an ocean side property in Hawaii.

"Finally," Jake says, "I want to be irresistible to women." Poof! There's another blinding flash ...and Jake turns into a box of chocolates.

http://www.jokesoftheday.net/jokes-resources/

1126-624x468.png

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Nov 25, 2017

One act of resignation and of acceptance of God’s will is worth more than a hundred thousand temporal successes (XII:389).

Vatican Council II
Constitution on the Church « Lumen Gentium

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

All men are called to belong to the new people of God. Wherefore this people, while remaining one and only one, is to be spread throughout the whole world and must exist in all ages, so that the decree of God's will may be fulfilled…, that all His children, scattered as they were, would finally be gathered together as one. (Jn 11:52)) It was for this purpose that God sent His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, (Heb 1:2) that be might be teacher, king and priest of all, the head of the new and universal people of the sons of God. For this too God sent the Spirit of His Son as Lord and Life-giver (cf. Creed). He it is who brings together the whole Church and each and every one of those who believe, and who is the well-spring of their unity in the teaching of the apostles and in fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayers. (Acts 2:42).

It follows that though there are many nations there is but one people of God, which takes its citizens from every race, making them citizens of a kingdom which is of a heavenly rather than of an earthly nature. All the faithful, scattered though they be throughout the world, are in communion with each other in the Holy Spirit… Since the kingdom of Christ is not of this world (Jn 18:36) the Church or people of God in establishing that kingdom takes nothing away from the temporal welfare of any people. On the contrary it fosters and takes to itself, insofar as they are good, the ability, riches and customs in which the genius of each people expresses itself. Taking them to itself it purifies, strengthens, elevates and ennobles them.

The Church in this is mindful that she must bring together the nations for that king to whom they were given as an inheritance, (Ps 2:8) and to whose city they bring gifts and offerings. (Ps 71:10; Is 60:4; Rv 21:2) This characteristic of universality which adorns the people of God is a gift from the Lord Himself. By reason of it, the Catholic Church strives constantly and with due effect to bring all humanity and all its possessions back to its source in Christ, with Him as its head and united in His Spirit.

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Quote of the Day – November 26

Once God has begun to do good to a creature, He continues to do so to the end (XII:389).

God's Will in our lives is always good; however, we don't always recognise it.  I think POSSIBLY what St Vincent might mean is the good that we recognise as a good.

Please always feel free to add your own comments etc. even challenges - everything most welcome :) 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

brandmark-primary.png

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

Nov 28, 2017

“Even though you are unaware of it, Our Lord will not fail to sanctify you if you remain faithful to Him.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

Teresa-Margaret-Redi.jpg

St Teresa Margaret Redi - Carmelite Saint

Inspiring reflection "The Virtue of Poverty" http://ocarm.org/en/content/ocarm/st-teresa-margaret-virtue-poverty

Final two paragraphs in the reflection: "St. Teresa Margaret truly knew the love of Christ. But we must not simply look at her marvelous spirit in awe; we must allow her to inspire us to do the same. The closing words of this reading tell us that it can be done:

Glory be to him whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine; glory be to him from generation to generation in the Church and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen." (Eph 3:20-21)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

chat_logo.png

In my particular vocation and call, I have determined there is a necessity for Bethany to be welcoming and comfortable - but there are many other ways I can exercise poverty and do so.  I have sometimes wondered if "welcoming and comfortable" was just my excuse - my reason and my excuse for self indulgence in decor.

The Carmelite prioress who came to my Home Mass commented to me "You have decorated Bethany for others".  That comment was reassuring, but being who I am, doubts soon arose once more.  Reason or excuse?

You see, I really do not know with any confidence and clarity if I am merely self indulgent or not.  What I do know and trust with confidence is that if I am going astray somewhere that The Lord will not allow me to stray too far at all before making things clearer to me.  And that is my path, my road, my recourse, my sanity and spirituality.

LWM_Banner_London01.jpg?fit=851,315&resi

Have been watching a 2 part series on and off on homosexuality with Stephen Fry.

A couple of statements stood out for me - impacted:

1 - "Hatred can only diminish our humanity" 

My thoughts only: Holiness in essence will make us more human.  I did ponder as I pottered about Bethany the sentence: "Love the sinner, hate the sin".  In future, I will be saying Love the sinner, reject the sin.  It seems to me that hatred of anything at all can indeed only dimish our humanity.   Hatred to me is to wish and even inflict evil on the object of hatred - I don't think wishing for and/or inflicting evil can ever be a virtuous disposition under any circumstances.  I then thought of our military especially.  If they go forward in hatred it will diminish their humanity.  I guess there are diverse reasons a person joins the military and engages in war etc. and some reasons even noble and commendable - but hatred will always warp what is human and I think that unavoidable. 

I really can understand (empathise where they are coming from) some people hating in shocking circumstances, but it will only ever divert that straight and narrow path and road to the fullness of humanity (sanctity) here on earth.

Of course, it all amounts to and rests on one's definition of hatred.

I gained some insight into: "Father forgive them, they know not what they do."  And why a cruel death met with "I forgive you" is a sign of heroic virtue.

2 -Another sentence by Stephen Fry: " Homosexual people are not interested in making others homosexual.   But homophobic people are interested in making others homophobic."   Very true I thought.

_________

I don't think the documentary by Stephen Fry is particularly to be recommended as a great documentary, although it had some important things to state worth reflection.

Edited by BarbaraTherese