An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

1214-624x468.png

Pope Francis:  Sunday Mass more than an Obligation

http://cathnews.com/cathnews/30990-sunday-mass-more-than-just-an-obligation-pope

Pope Francis: Do NOT Dialogue with Satan

https://aleteia.org/2017/12/12/pope-do-not-dialogue-with-satan/?utm_campaign=NL_en&utm_source=daily_newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=NL_en

My tuppence: At the start, Satan will be polite, consoling even inspiring and encouraging.  Then when it knows it has you hooked in, it will slowly reveal itself as an insidious and fearful presence.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

v_joan.jpg

St. Jeanne de Valois, an 18th century painting
by A. Pradão from the Marian monastery in
Balsamao, Portugal.

CHAPLET
OF THE TEN EVANGELICAL VIRTUES
OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

The Marians have recited this prayer since the time of approval of the Order (Marians of The Immaculate Conception) upon the “Rule of the Ten Evangelical Virtues of the B.V.M.” by Pope Innocent XII in 1699. Blessed Stanislaus Papczynski, Founder of the Marians, was the first to make his solemn vows on this rule in Warsaw, on June 6, 1701.

To pray the Chaplet, use only 10 beads of a Rosary or a 10-bead chaplet. Begin with the Sign of the Cross, followed by one Our Father. Then on each of the 10 beads, pray one Hail Mary, adding after the words “Holy Mary, Mother of God...” one of the following virtues.

IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND THE HOLY SPIRIT. AMEN.
Our Father who are in heaven...

Hail Mary full of Grace, The Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus - Holy Mary, Mother of God, most pure, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.  Amen

1. Most pure,
  2. Most prudent,
  3. Most humble,
  4. Most faithful,
  5. Most devout,
  6. Most obedient,
  7. Most poor,
  8. Most patient,
  9. Most merciful,
  10. Most sorrowful.

V. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit:
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.

V. In Your Conception, O Virgin Mary, You were Immaculate.
R. Pray for us to the Father whose Son, Jesus, you brought forth into the world.

Let us pray:

Father, You prepared the Virgin Mary to be the worthy mother of Your Son. You let her share beforehand in the salvation of Christ would bring by His death, and kept her sinless from the first moment of her conception. Help us by her prayers to live in Your presence without sin. We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord. Amen.

V. The Virgin Mary's Immaculate Conception,
R. Be our Health and our Protection.

4efd419711f603977f31eebdcec66a2b--god-je

REFLECTION ON

THE VIRTUES

OF OUR BLESSED LADY

https://georgiabulletin.org/commentary/2016/01/a-reflection-on-the-virtues-of-mary/

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

The epidural injection in the base of my spine where the spinal canal is narrowed (spinal stenosis) pinching nerves (mainly down to my left leg) was a real piece of cake.  I think going to the dentist is far worse. 

Giving thanks for today.

One is not supposed to do strenuous activity for 48 hours (such as lifting etc.) There can be some discomfort or even pain until the steroid clicks in.   I did at last get the Christmas decorations up and prepared tomorrow for the last of the gifts to be wrapped.  I am now on course for Christmas with the last of the shopping for lunch being done on the 23rd.  The long range weather forecast says 25C degrees and ideal if it comes to fruition.  In South Australia with the weather most anything could happen.

It will be 2 to 9 days before the full affect of the steroid is experienced.  After that, some have no relief, some a couple of days, or a month or a year and all the in-betweens.  I will be hoping and praying for the best in accord with God's Will.

I put in a request into the Prayer Forum yesterday for dealing with false criticism.  I am now quite calm and resigned about it and still praying that I will be gracious, kind and humble about it until it is a situation past tense.  I am now peacefully resigned to God's Will in the situation no matter the result and I am hoping and praying that peaceful resignation will see me right through to the end of the matter.  Thank you very much for prayer.

There are other things I do that have nothing to do with my needs and hopes etc. but for others.  I tend not to post if it strikes me as too personal re the other person(s).  One doesn't need to be overly attuned to God's Will in the moments and days to be aware of the needs of others and potential responses in accord with His Will.   These moments are continual, always with us.

Rest and relaxation is also in accord with God's Will (our human nature needs it to recharge) and according to one's needs.  Some need a little, others need more.  I think that probably the important thing is not to compare oneself with others.  And my take on matters only.

Fiat Voluntas Tua

Deo Gratius.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Light-of-the-world-1024x512.png

Jesus, "Light of Light"

Man's Hope

Today, we breathe an atmosphere of expectation. The liturgy invites to hope, pointing on the horizon of history to the light of the Saviour who comes. This light was already manifest in the fullness of time. Therefore, our hope does not lack a foundation but is supported by an event situated in history, which at the same time exceeds history: the event constituted by Jesus of Nazareth. The Evangelist John applies to Jesus the title of "light": it is a title that belongs to God.

Christian hope is inseparably bound to knowledge of the Face of God, the face which Jesus —the Only-Begotten Son— revealed to us with His Incarnation, death and Resurrection. True and steadfast hope is founded on faith in God love, the Merciful Father, who "so loved the world that He gave His only Son", so that men might have life in abundance.

—Advent is a favourable time for the rediscovery of a hope that is not vague and deceptive, but certain and reliable, because it is "anchored" in Christ, God made man, the rock of our salvation.

---o0o---

http://evangeli.net/gospel (subscription to receive daily - go to far right top of page)

My subscriptions comprises two aspects.  Meditation on the daily Gospel and Theological type comment on same.

aj631-bg3698.2L.jpg?53

MISSIONARY ROSARY

Obtain a Missionary Rosary very cheap: http://www.wearemissionary.org/world-mission-rosary-2/ (Society for the Propagation of The Faith - Chicago Mission Office)

As a sort of an improvising (my own improvising) in addition to the actual missionary rosary for each continent, one can also make 5 general intentions of one's own.  Mine will be:

1. For The Church and all priests especially my own parish priest, Fr..........
  2. For religious and those publicly vowed.
  3. For the married and all other vocations and calls, for all children.
  4. For those who suffer in any way at all and for the dying, for the heartfelt repentance of those locked in sin as well as my own sinfulness.
  5. That God's Will shall be done here on earth as in Heaven.  (Whenever I pray that passage, I think of "earth" as also being me, my body comprised of dust and alive here on earth ...  to this point anyway:whistle:.)  

---o0o---

These rosaries are quite simple and lovely - and make excellent very low priced gifts to have on hand for any reason.  When I first came across the Missionary Rosary they were much more expensive. I only fell over the Chicago site today somehow and have ordered 3 pairs via Paypal.  There was no postage charged and I am wondering if they do not ship to Australia.  I could not find anything on the site.  I will hear one way or the other eventually and will advise if they only ship within the USA etc.  If they do ship to Australia at such a low price, I will be ordering more to have on hand as gifts.

4491a5cb4be3c1152f02ab56537b1f3f--angel-

Image on the door of the change room when I had the epidural injection yesterday.  The image was a drawing of a full grown baby in the womb - the babe looked anxious and with hands joined pleading.  The text for the baby said:

"Mum, please tell them I am here."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

happy-chat-button.png

Our Church is being refurbished.  Father has designed and carried through a most beautiful presentation of the front of our Church and the altar area.  The statement is "less is more".  We have better lighting, especially over the altar (I think celebrants had trouble reading at times due to poor lighting).  We have new fans through the whole Church and they are more efficient than the old ones.  We also have air conditioning now.  We are awaiting new carpet, which Father tells us will have a design in it (celtic cross)

But it is the whole front of The Church and altar area that is outstanding and exquisitely beautiful.  Statues of Our Lady and The Sacred Heart (now painted simple white)are raised about 8ft above the ground in the corners behind the altar with spotlights on all three.  The Blessed Sacrament has it's own special area on the right side of The Church - it is beautiful in its simplicity and is also spotlighted.

We are NOT a rich parish, in fact we struggle financially.  But good financial management by Father and our parish council has provided the funds for a desperately needed refurbishment of the Church.  Of course too, parishioners are wonderful in offering on a volunteer basis where their skills can assist.

There is on the left side of the front a blank spot and during Mass it occurred to me that we should have an image of St Monica, patron of our parish.  After Mass, I was by the rear door trying to sell the rest of Vinnies Christmas cards.  Father came up and I congratulated him on our beautiful refurbished Church.  I asked about that blank spot and what he had in mind.  He replied "I was thinking of an image of St Monica".  Really surprised, I said I had the same thought during Mass.   We have never had an image of St Monica in The Church.

So now I have the job of researching images of St Monica as a guide for Father and locating local (I hope) artists for a commission from him.

I have located a parish not far from me that has Adoration and also regular times for Confession.  I have re-arranged my budget cutting out all that I really can do without and I will be able to catch a cab there and back at least once or twice monthly.  Once for Adoration, the other for Confession.

I have asked a parishioner who has offered before to pick me up and bring me home for Wednesday weekday Mass in our parish.   It is obvious that I will not be able to do any visitations with Vinnies or any of the physical type work we need to do.  I will be on the Admin side only except for Badge Days (shaking the tins it has been called)when I can take my walker and sit on it shaking the Vinnies tin.

I would very much like to live a very quiet life of prayer and penance and hence am slowly working up to it as I envisage it.  Small steps to a bigger goal.

God bless!

O ANTIPHONS - 17TH DECEMBER

dec17wisdomsm.jpg

O Sapientia or O Wisdom (December 17)
O Wisdom (Sirach 24:3),
You came forth from the mouth of the Most High (Sirach 24:3), and reaching from beginning to end You ordered all things mightily and sweetly (Wisdom 8:1). * Come, and teach us the way of prudence (Isaiah 40:14).

O ANTIPHONS - 18th DECEMBER

dec18lordsm.jpg

O Adonai or O Lord and Ruler (December 18)
O Adonai (Exod 3:14)
and Ruler of the house of Israel (Matt 2:6; Micah 5:1; 2 Sam 5:2), You appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush (Exod 3:2) and on Mount Sinai gave him Your Law (Exod 20). * Come, and with an outstretched arm redeem us (Jeremiah 32:21).

1218-624x468.png

Biography http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20040425_valle_en.html

The character of the Provincial Superior which "was perfectly opposite to hers", disagreed with her method. She was in favour of a rigid, strong and immediate method. Such a difference in their points of view caused relevant contrasts which found their expression in reproaches and humiliations. Sister Nemesia accepted everything in silence, smiling as she went ahead, without hurrying and without neglecting her responsibilities: "From one station to the other, let us continue our way in the desert…and if the desert is deaf, your Creator is always listening…"

---o0o---

web3-st-joseph-guardian-of-the-lord-robe

Courageous St. Joseph

Patron and Guardian of The Church

https://aleteia.org/2017/12/17/st-joseph-was-more-than-righteous-he-was-courageous/?utm_campaign=NL_en&utm_source=daily_newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=NL_en

Edited by BarbaraTherese

591567034_1280x720.jpg

This is a book I would like to obtain if possible in the New Year:

"From Humdrum to Holy"

https://www.amazon.com/Humdrum-Holy-Fr-Broom-OMV/dp/162282198X

Do you attend Mass out of love rather than obligation?

Are you closer to God now than you were a year ago?
Are you able to keep a consistent prayer life?

If you answered no to any of these questions, your spiritual life needs a jump-start. In Humdrum to Holy, popular priest and radio host, Fr. Ed Broom, will stir in you a holy reverence and spiritual joy that'll point your soul to heaven.

By following the wise counsel of this experienced spiritual advisor and confessor, youll first learn how to identify your kryptonite those hidden sins in your life that keep God from working in your soul.

Fr. Ed will walk you through the simple steps to creating a plan of life your roadmap to the heights of holiness. In a clear, methodical, and practical way, you'll learn how to cultivate virtues like patience and purity virtues that are difficult to attain but essential for happiness in this life and getting into heaven in the next!

You'll discover some of the most potent Catholic traditions, such as lectio divina, that have made saints out of countless sinners. And he'll show you how to transform pious practices such as Confession and Eucharistic adoration into a powerhouse of graces flooding into your soul.

And finally, you'll learn how to keep your spiritual life strong by forming a healthy conscience, and how the pains of suffering can be transformed into the tears of joy.

Scripture tells us that where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more. Our world needs saints, and God is offering you the graces needed to become one. Leave behind the humdrum spiritual life and open the door to the road to sainthood. Fr. Broom is ready to show you the way.

O ANTIPHON - December 19th

dec19rootsm.jpg

O Radix Jesse or O Root of Jesse (December 19)
O Root of Jesse, (Isaiah 11:1)
You stand for the ensign of mankind (Isaiah 11:10); before You kings shall keep silence and to You all nations shall have recourse (Isaiah 52:15). * Come, save us, and do not delay (Habakkuk 2:3).

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

aj631-bg3698.2L.jpg?53

MISSIONARY ROSARY

Obtain a Missionary Rosary very cheap: http://www.wearemissionary.org/world-mission-rosary-2/ (Society for the Propagation of The Faith - Chicago Mission Office)

Site in Chicago does not ship to Australia.  Received an email today.

Sender will put it on website: "Do not ship to Australia".   I advised that what I paid for the rosary beads can be kept as donation.

There is a site in Malta that I think will ship to Australia but I need to research when I have the time.  Just now, Christmas is the focus.

O Antiphon - 20th December

dec20davidsm.jpg

O Clavis David or O Key of David (December 20)
O Key of David, (Isaiah 22:22; Revelation 3:7)
and Scepter of the house of Israel (Numbers 24:17): You open and no man closes; you close and no man opens (Isaiah 22:22). * Come, and deliver him from the chains of prison who sits in darkness and in the shadow of death (Ps 107:10).