An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

0124-624x468.png

CJC.jpg

Catholic Answers

https://www.catholic.com/qa/no-sin-excludes-a-religious-vocation

Full Question - Is it too late for me to discern a vocation to the religious life after mutual masturbation?

Answer - Not at all. Religious life is a life of conversion and repentance. St. Augustine of Hippo, the great father of religious life, lived an unchaste life, which on his own account included both natural and unnatural acts with his concubine. But his conversion was precisely to the chastity of religious life.

What is important to keep in mind, though, is that you must have a sincere and constant desire to be chaste and to practice chastity. If your habits have been overwhelming or especially disruptive in your life, you need to discuss this with the vocation director or directress of any community you may wish to join, or at least discuss this with a confessor. But in and of itself, no sin excludes from religious life, since the religious life itself is for those who have been converted from the world, from sin, in order to follow Christ more closely.

heavenly-house-sitting7.png

Why pets could be good for you.............

"Our cats, dogs and hamsters are the best relationship builders with other people.

Some say having a pet is a matter of great responsibility like it’s a bad thing. In fact, one of the best things about sharing one’s everyday life with an animal is related to the developing of a sense of responsibility for another being that happens to be completely dependent on one’s own volition: a domestic animal living in an apartment, a backyard or even a small farm won’t be fully able to provide food, water or shelter for itself. It’s all on its human owner........"........... MORE HERE

Oh_No_The_Air_Conditioner_Broke.jpg

My air conditioner has broken down completely.   Friday is forecasted as 102degrees, Saturday and Sunday are 107degrees.  I am spending most of my time between two fans in minimal clothing.  My brothers can help me out but not until after Sunday sometime and then the air conditioner I am interested in would not be delivered for another 7 days.

My brother has said that he will pick me up if the heat gets too much, but I am hoping prayerfully to endure it and stay here for my animals and their welfare.

C'est la vie  c__est_la_vie_by_savage_orange-d38ijve.j

Laudate Dominum - Fiat Voluntas Tua

oh-no.png

Buddie has diarrhoea again and osteoarthritis is now in my wrist and right arm.  I am really happy to have something to endure - while I am hoping that Buddie just might come good quicker than last time for both our sakes.  It is impossible for me to clean up after him first thing in the morning.  I have to wait until the painkillers work.

I think my osteoarthritis problems (osteoarthritis comes from worn out cartilages) probably comes from my 17 years taking in ironing - most often six sometimes seven days a week when I was not in hospital.  The extra money kept Bethany afloat when it had a vastly different function to that of today.  At first I thought the painful wrist was because of how I had slept, but since now it is every morning without fail and after a bit of Googling, I think it is more likely to be osteoarthritis.  I am yet to bring it to the attention of my GP and will do so next visit.

Wednesday this coming week I have the injection in my left facet joint in the hope of pain relief in my left leg.  If things unwind as for my spinal stenosis shot, the following week after the injection will be painful.  I had a backache like never before.  Anyway, next week is full.  I don't know when I can get in to see my GP as the following week is full too.

I will deal with things on Monday and try remaking appointments to allow me to get into see my GP as I need prescriptions too.  My GP only practises two days weekly.

Forecast is for 105F degrees today and 107F on Sunday.  I had to force the fi-lter*** out of my air conditioner yesterday.   I gave it a good clean and had to force it back in, although I could not get it in all the way.  Something fell off the airconditioner with the forcing and I cannot get it back together again.  The front is just hanging. The very real blessing is that yesterday my air conditioner stayed cool all day and I am hoping prayerfully it will do the same today and tomorrow.  Monday, the temperature drops radically to 75F degrees and pretty much for the rest of the week.  But I have to accept that my air conditioner is on the way out.  It has given me more than 15yrs service and well deserves a rest.  With much gratitude indeed, I have worked out how I can afford a new one.  I am hoping my brother will help me with specifications to ensure the new aircon will fit into the wall allowance for my current one.  I would also need him to take out the old one and put in the new.  It is a heavy lift and carpentry type of job only.

Laudate Dominum. Fiat Voluntas Tua.

*** I think dUSt might be tweaking again as fil-ter comes out as fiddler.

0127-624x468.png

Eisegesis

Eisegesis is when a person interprets and reads information into the text that is not there, imposing personal opinion upon a text.

We must try to keep the mind in tranquillity. For just as the eye which constantly shifts its gaze, now turning to the right or to the left, now incessantly peering up or down, cannot see distinctly what lies before it, but the sight must be fixed firmly on the object in view if one would make his vision of it clear; so too man’s mind when distracted by his countless worldly cares cannot focus itself distinctly on the truth.

… St. Basil the Great (330-379)

5581882-low_res-call-the-midwife.jpg

I am watching on and off "Call The Midwife" - not much else I can do, it's just too hot.  With Foxtel Go I can pause at any point.  The temperature is 98.5 degrees as I write and my old airconditioner thankfully is still blowing out cold air.  The commentary now and then in the "Call The Midwife" series and especially at the end of each episode is really worth hearing and taking note of what 'Sister's' comments might be - eminently thought provoking and profound.  I mean it! :) 

I am going out each night and watering my three new hibiscus plants - I am amazed they are still alive and healthy looking.  This is our second heat wave of summer.  So far, my garden is still healthy and alive and I am not watering all that much, just sufficiently.  To date we have no water restrictions.   Deo Gratius.

The painkillers I am taking are easing my right arm and wrist too - sufficient so I can do what I must.

So much to be thankful for..........

Laudate Dominum.

dc10aa29ce08509b4318ecf424af65ff_origina

4.30pm Watching a Richard Attenborough documentary on the colonising of the Galapagos islands by plants and insects as I wait for the evening News to begin at 5pm.  I don't think about what I see in the documentary, I just gaze stunned in silent wonder.  I don't ask anything of the experience, I just gaze in wonderment.  When my reasoning mind clicks back, not only is the colonizing incredible in its means and variety, but so is the camera and microscopic camera work, the gift of television.  So much to be thankful for.   The incredibly colourful, beautiful and complex workings of nature that does abound in and around us beyond the naked eye.

Galapagos marine life: the incredible beauty and strength of the Galapagos shark and the scalloped hammerhead shark.  The red lipped fin fish. The trumpet fish.  The giants: the sunfish 3 metres across.  Sea lions whose ancestors come from the shores of California.  Pack whales. The biggest of all fish - the twenty tonne whale shark.

Reptiles and iguana (massive colonies of them), giant tortoises, flash floods and tropical storms.  Volcanoes in eruption with such force and reality that I instinctively flinched and pulled back from the TV.

So much to be thankful for which visits my home courtesy of television.  May I never take the endless gifts around me for granted and may I never misuse them.

Laudate Dominum.  Fiat Voluntas Tua.

cbf550e58b2f1135963a2987075c6838.jpg

"To truly fall in love with Christ, to engage Him in a real face to face, heart to heart relationship, this is the whole reason the Church exists. It is the whole reason for our faith. It is the deepest purpose of prayer."

Lilles, Anthony. "Hidden Mountain, Secret Garden: A Theological Contemplation on Prayer" (p. 16).

4Ingredients_BeetrootFetaSalad.jpg?itok=

FETA & BEETROOT SALAD

Serves 4 

• 1 cup crumbled feta

• 1 cup diced beetroot

• 1 bag mixed salad leaves

• 2 tbsp. caramelised balsamic vinegar

Combine first 3 ingredients, season with sea salt and pepper, then drizzle with the fourth ... Super easy, yet still sensational (just how we like our salads)!