An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Paul%E2%80%99s+First+Letter+to+the+Thess

From the Reading

Vespers - 29th January 2018

1 Thessalonians Chapter 3:

Now may God himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we have for you, so as to strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. (Amen.)

28563.jpg

ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN

Freedom

(The Magnificat - Vespers - 31Jan 2018)

1 Corinthians Chapter 9

Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law - though I myself am not under the law - to win over those under the law.

21 To those outside the law I became like one outside the law - though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ - to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some.

23 All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

HUMILITY

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Tractate on Saint John’s Gospel 25, §15 (end) and 16

"Isn’t he the carpenter?" - Whereas pride does its own will, humility does the will of God… The physician, perceiving the cause, purges away the humor, removes the cause. Cure pride and there will be no more iniquity. Consequently, that the cause of all diseases might be cured, namely, pride, the Son of God came down and was made low. Why are you proud, O man? God, for you, became low. You would perhaps be ashamed to imitate a lowly man; at any rate, imitate the lowly God. The Son of God came in the character of a man and was made low. You are taught to become humble, not asked to become a brute. He, being God, became man; do thou, O man, recognize that you are man. Your whole humility is to know yourself.

Hear God teaching humility. He said: "I came not to do my own will, but the will of Him that sent me." (Jn 6:38)… I came humble, I came to teach humility, I came a master of humility: he that comes to me is made one body with me; he that comes to me becomes humble; he who adheres to me will be humble, because he does not his own will, but the will of God. Therefore he shall not be cast out (Jn 6:37), for when he was proud he was cast out.

GENTLE AND HUMBLE

0131-624x468.png

A LIFE OF PRAYER & SACRIFICE

IS THE FOUNDATION FOR ALL REFORM IN THE CHURCH

My comment: It can sometimes go hard on those who reach retirement or might be disabled in some way to understand "Where to now? What is my life about? Where is my call and vocation?"

Lilles, Anthony.

"Hidden Mountain, Secret Garden: A Theological Contemplation on Prayer" (p. 16). Discerning Hearts. Kindle Edition." (My current on and off reading matter).

"Pope Benedict gets to the same idea in his thoughts about seminaries. His reflections really ought to be applied to all Catholic institutions dedicated to the discipline of theology. The purpose of these institutions “is to be a place of encounter with Jesus Christ, which binds people to him in such a way that they are able to become his voice in the present, his voice for the people and the world of today.”

[ 6] Deep prayer is the heartbeat, the life-blood, of the renewal of the Church.

The late spiritual theologian Father Jordan Aumann, O.P. insisted that there never has been any true restoration of the Church not preceded by a widespread return to the heights and depths of prayer. Such prayer brings life to the Church and enlivens theology so that it can fulfill its vital role.

didymus-the-blind-work-of-the-holy-spiri

Every Deed is Holy

The following is related to the previous Post on "A Life of Prayer and Sacrifice":

St John Paul II in his Apostolic Exhortation “Christifideles Laici”[1] (“Vocation and Mission of The Laity”) had this to say:

"At the same time it insisted on the unique character of their vocation, which is in a special way to "seek the Kingdom of God by engaging in temporal affairs and ordering them according to the plan of God.............The term secular must be understood in light of the act of God the creator and redeemer, who has handed over the world to women and men, so that they may participate in the work of creation, free creation from the influence of sin and sanctify themselves in marriage or the celibate life, in a family, in a profession and in the various activities of society"[39].For their work, prayers and apostolic endeavours, their ordinary married and family life, their daily labour, their mental and physical relaxation, if carried out in the Spirit, and even the hardships of life if patiently borne-all of these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Pt 2:5). During the celebration of the Eucharist these sacrifices are most lovingly offered to the Father along with the Lord's body. Thus as worshipers whose every deed is holy, the lay faithful consecrate the world itself to God"[23].  Pius XII once stated: "The Faithful, more precisely the lay faithful, find themselves on the front lines of the Church's life;"

[1]  http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_30121988_christifideles-laici.html

catechism-of-the-catholic-church-200.jpg

CATECHISM IN A YEAR

50. What does it mean to say that God is almighty?

God reveals himself as "the strong One, the mighty One" (Psalm 24:8), as the One "to whom nothing is impossible" (Luke 1:37). His omnipotence is universal, mysterious and shows itself in the creation of the world out of nothing and humanity out of love; but above all it shows itself in the Incarnation and the Resurrection of this Son, in the gift of filial adoption and in the forgiveness of sins. For this reason, the Church directs her prayers to the "almighty and eternal God" ("Omnipotens sempiterne Deus...").

Further reading: CCC 268-278

51. What is the importance of affirming "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1)?

The significance is that creation is the foundation of all God's saving plans. It shows forth the almighty and wise love of God, and it is the first step toward the covenant of the one God with his people. It is the beginning of the history of salvation which culminates in Christ; and it is the first answer to our fundamental questions regarding our very origin and destiny.

Further reading: CCC 279-289, 315

4324335572_c1cd1cdb1a_z.jpg?zz=1

The widest thing in the universe is not space, it is the potential capacity of the human heart. Being made in the image of God, it is capable of almost unlimited extension in all directions… [Christians] should seek for inner enlargement till their outward dimension gives no hint of the vastness within. 
… A. W. Tozer (1897-1963)

0201-624x468.png

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

I had the injection into my left facet joint yesterday.  I will never have an injection into the spine again.  All my research indicated that it should not have been painful, save somewhat for the injection of the anaesthetic.  Either there was no anaesthetic solution in the injection or there was not enough time for the injection to anaesthetise prior to continuing with the procedure.

There was so much pain, I had to push my head into the pillow to stifle my scream.  Immediately prior to the whole procedure beginning I was meditating on the Sufferings of Jesus and while I knew I would not go even close to what He had endured, I was totally unprepared for what I was going to experience.  Something or other was not right yesterday and no one should be discouraged. 

If you research on the internet the procedure is not known anywhere I could find to be terribly painful, certainly not scream inducing.

I have had an epidural anaesthetic with a general for major surgery a few years ago - easy as and not much pain at all.  A few weeks ago I had an injection into my spine for spinal stenosis.  Easy again.  But oh boy, I wont forget yesterday and my facet joint shot in a very long time.  The funny aspect is that I was very angry and near in tears trying to get off the surgery table.........thanking Jesus for what I had gone through.  The nurse kept saying: "Don't fall, Barbara!" and I wanted to reply in a very angry tone.  "Would you please button up, I wont fall and you wont need to pick me up".  And all the while on some other unknown level somewhere I am thanking Jesus in an angry tone directed at the doctor and the nurse watching me struggle off the surgery table!:idontknow:

I will rely on painkillers, not injections, in the future for pain relief.  I have purchased a wrist support which will arrive next week.  Alarmingly my chemist charged $45 for a wrist support.  I was able to buy one on eBay in my next door state for $7.50 free postage !!!  The alarm is the great difference in price.  Once the support arrives, I will be comparing it with the chemist shop support.

On another happy blessing, I have been researching retirement home rental accommodation for low income. This is just in case it becomes necessary for me at some point.  While the accommodation I am considering (30 residents approx.) is a long way from my brothers and where I am now, it is a nice little unit I can afford on the age pension.  My brothers could always visit now and then for coffee - not help me out, and a bonus for them.   Sitting room, bedroom with ensuite shower, gallery kitchen, provision for laundry if necessary.  Lovely outside patio.   It is close to all amenities that are not available in the units themselves.   It is a gated community with a lovely grounds and garden.  There is a common room and common dining room.    Haven't yet found closest Catholic Church - did attempt to do so but need to tackle it again tomorrow.  The aged care facility is in an area unknown to me on the extreme southern side of Adelaide.  I am now on the north eastern side not far from the central business district.

The journey continues to unfold...........roll on death, I have St Joseph at my side (patron of The Church and of a happy death).

Laudate Dominum - Deus Voluntas Tua.

0202-624x468.png

wood9-flwban.jpg

St Joseph Patron of The Church

and of a Happy Death

http://cathnews.com/cathnews/31240-death-the-one-experience-we-all-have-in-common

Death is a fact that affects everyone (Pixabay) Spending time reflecting on your own death can be a freeing experience, Pope Francis said in a homily at the Casa Santa Marta yesterday. Source: CNA.

Death “is a fact that affects everyone,” the Pope said. For some people it may come sooner and for some later, but regardless, “it comes”. Because we are all......

Continuing on this theme, Francis said that another question we should ask ourselves is: “What would be my legacy if God were to call me today? What legacy would I leave as a testimony of my life?”....read more on above link.  

House-Search.jpg

Just doing my homework in case I should need to shift into an age care facility at some point.

The age care facilities I am looking at (one I can afford): https://www.seniorshousingonline.com.au/property/rental/7449/eureka-care-communities-onkaparinga 

alternatively: https://www.seniorshousingonline.com.au/property/rental/7445/eureka-care-communities-christie-downs  (I think the Catholic Church a bit too far to consider this facility)

My next move after things settle down here will be to arrange to visit the facilities and have a tour.....as well as actually sighting the local Catholic Church and general environment.

Closest Catholic Church Onkaparinga facility : http://www.noarlunga-seafordparish.org.au/centres.html

Roughly $6 taxi fare one way (if I cannot get a lift to Mass - would be an outstanding blessing if I could get a lift for weekday Masses.  Also, I know the parish priest extremely well indeed and from not long after he was ordained)

2016_hope-1030x686.jpg?x57718

The One Who breathes into our hearts the heavenly hope, will not deceive or fail us when we press forward to its realization.
- Anonymous

latest?cb=20170731225521

My journey has told me that if I focus on myself, I am going to be discouraged and overcome.  I must keep my whole being focused on Jesus - His Love, Mercy, His Tender and Compassionate Understanding of His dependant, daily struggling, falling and rising disciple - not with a tear in my eye for my failures (a focus on myself), but with Peace and Joy, Rejoicing, in my heart because of my Master:

Persevering in Failure and Temptations - Catholic Exchange (Constance Hull)

https://catholicexchange.com/persevering-failures-temptations?mc_cid=d531b0a187&mc_eid=365c5a299b

"There is a tendency in people to paint a pious beautiful picture in our minds of this sunny, easy path to holiness. We can actually fall for a false piety of our own making that looks like halos set just so, prayerful Rosaries, silently meditating perfectly, and being thankful that we are not nearly as sinful as our neighbor. “How is it so-and-so could commit such a grievous sin?”, some will scoff in righteous indignation. More-often-than-not, if we are asking this question it is because we don’t fully grasp what we are capable of in our Fallen state and how much we must come to fully rely on Christ to keep out of serious trouble and preserve grace in our souls. This is why priests smile and tell their parishioners that they’ve heard it all in the confessional. They aren’t surprised, so why are so many of us? ..........more on above link

theme-with-no-theme_4_orig.jpg

CATECHISM IN A YEAR

Subscribe: http://flocknote.com/catechism

53. Why was the world created?

The world was created for the glory of God who wished to show forth and communicate his goodness, truth and beauty. The ultimate end of creation is that God, in Christ, might be "all in all" (1 Corinthians 15:28) for his glory and for our happiness.

"The glory of God is man fully alive; moreover man's life is the vision of God."                   (Saint Irenaeus)

Further reading: CCC 293-294, 319

SVDP_Logo.png

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Quote of the Day – February 3 2018

One beautiful diamond is worth more than a mountain of stones, and one virtuous act of acquiescence and submission is better than an abundance of good works done for others (I:75).

0205-624x468.png

---oOo---

512598da7bec99ff346cbcd23bc2cd85.jpg

The Saint who wanted to be like St Therese of Lisieux

https://aleteia.org/2018/02/04/the-saint-who-wanted-to-be-like-the-little-flower/?utm_campaign=NL_en&utm_source=daily_newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=NL_en

"Her spirituality can be summed up in these words from her autobiography, “The sum of it all is recognizing one’s nothingness … it pleases Jesus, Who likes to joke with His creatures, to steep in grace the least probable … the ones who seem to Him to be the most wretched, in order to make His mercy shine forth all the more, and he takes pleasure in their confusion and wonder.”