An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Mass and Holy Communion at 6pm Vigil Mass tonight Palm Sunday (Sat 24th March 11.26am here now).  Our sacristan picks me up and brings me home.  This means I have an hour before Mass for prayer before The Blessed Sacrament and half an hour or more after Mass for thanksgiving.  Holy Week commences.

giphy.gif

holy_week_icons.png

Went to Palm Sunday Vigil Mass tonight and being back in my parish Church brought about happy nostalgia and I have decided to attend the Easter Tridium after all.

als-488410-jpg_332839_1250x625.jpg?fit=1

My wrist is quite painful along with back and legs.  I need to take the splint off to do most things around the house and perhaps have done too much.  Also, because the pain killers I have been prescribed are addictive, I have been trying to cut down on the dose and that has contributed, I think, to me being short tempered due to pain; hence, I am going back on the dose the doctor prescribed in the hope that will help the pain and the mood.

DGRCmompopUnder-550x229.png

27th March 2018

Saint Leo the Great (?-c.461), Pope and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 58, 7th on the Passion, § 3-4 ; SC 74 bis

“Now the Son of Man is glorified and in him God is glorified”

When the Lord declared: “In truth I tell you, one of you will betray me”, he showed that he had penetrated the conscience of the one who was going to betray him. He did not foil the conspirator with severe, public accusations but tried to reach him by a tender and veiled warning: in this way repentance would have better restored the one whom no prohibition had deposed.

Oh why, unhappy Judas, did you not profit by so great a kindness? See, the Lord is all ready to forgive your course of action. Christ does not denounce you to anyone except yourself. Neither your name nor your person were mentioned, but with this word of truth and pity the secret of your heart alone was touched. Neither your title of apostle nor participation in the sacrament were denied you. Turn back, abandon your foolishness and repent! Sweetness invites you, salvation moves you, Life calls you. See how your companions, who are pure and without sin, are horrified by the announcement of the crime, and since the author of such an evil has not been revealed each one fears for himself. They are plunged into dismay, not because their conscience accuses them but because human inconstancy troubles them: they fear that what each knows of himself may be less true than what the Truth in person sees beforehand. But you, in the midst of this anguish of the holy ones, take advantage of the Lord’s patience, you think your audacity hides you…

Then seeing that all Judas’s thoughts remained set on his unhappy plan, the Lord says to him: “What you are going to do, do quickly”. By speaking in this way he is not giving an order, he is letting events take their course: these are not the words of a man who trembles but of one who is prepared. He who holds all times in his power shows that he is not trying to delay the traitor and that he enters into the Father’s will for the redemption of the world, without either provoking or dreading the crime his persecutors are preparing.

---o0o---

Julian_of_Norwich.jpg

“Remember — though I do sometimes take away your inner feelings of grace and you find you can’t pray or weep, don’t let yourself be afraid. Never fear. Instead, remember I’m a hidden God within you.”

- Margery Kempe, The Book of Margery Kempe

Bio - Margery Kempe

darknightsmall.jpg

https://catholicexchange.com/dark-night-cross?mc_cid=50ce904ef6&mc_eid=365c5a299b

The Dark Night and the Spiritual Life

What does it mean for us, when we are in the dark night of the senses or the soul, that Christ has first entered into our sufferings? According to the great spiritual writers, particularly St. John of the Cross, the dark night of the senses occurs when we no longer experience sensible consolations, but deeply desire for a prayer that allows us simply to “dwell” with God. To undergo this purgation of the senses, we must detach ourselves from our vices, bad habits, and the sensible things that are attractive to us. This process might be long, and it could be lonely, because we no longer experience the consolations that we once did. God desires this detachment for us because, while it may seem that our spiritual life is dry, we are actually becoming more attached to Him rather than the consolations He gave to us in the beginning of our spiritual journey. We may feel like Christ on the Cross—that God has forsaken us and forgotten us in our misery. But, we should recall that, just as the Son and the Father are always one, so too is God truly with us, even when we do not feel his presence directly.

The one who has passed from the beginning stage of prayer into that of proficient, after experiencing the dark night of the senses, must undergo the dark night of the soul in order to enter into the way of the perfect. In the dark night of the soul, not only are the sensible consolations removed, but also “the supernatural lights on the mysteries of salvation, of its ardent desires, of that facility in action, in preaching and in teaching, in which it had felt a secret pride and complacency…. This is a period of extreme aridity” (Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, The Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life; available online here). These souls perhaps feel most keenly what Christ felt on the Cross. Because they are being purged of all their pride and attachments, even attachment to spiritual goods, they will feel most detached from God and separated from him—they will truly feel forsaken. In these moments, these souls can enter into the suffering that Christ experienced on the Cross, and take refuge in the immense love that he had for us. Moreover, like St. Teresa of Calcutta, these souls can follow in her imitation and remain faithful to daily duties and prayer despite long periods of aridity and feeling abandoned by God.

Conclusion

The path described above is the normative way to holiness, which means that all souls are called to be purged in their senses and their souls to attain holiness. Each of us is at a different point in the spiritual life. As we come closer to Holy Week, let us consider our particular attachments. What things are preventing us from uniting ourselves completely to Christ? Are we holding onto sins or material goods, such that we cannot be united with Christ as the Father and Son are one? Are we experiencing the loneliness that Christ did on the Cross?

Wherever we are in the spiritual life, let us recall the great sacrifice that Christ made on the Cross to die for our sins, and let us unite ourselves with him in his suffering and pain—he will grant us the grace to endure the dark nights, and he will ultimately bless us with his abundant joy (John 10:10).

Edited by BarbaraTherese

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, Pax17 said:

Hope you had a good trip...allergies and colds are going strong here in northern AZ.

Apologies, just saw your post.  Yes, it was a lovely trip and break, Pax, despite the virus.   My son is over it but my daughter in law has had two lots of antibiotics and is still suffering.  We are now entering into our flu season and I will be having the flu shot.

AZ - is that Arizona?

Always, as I leave my home city travelling out of it, I feel as if a weight is being taken off me.

passion2.jpg

GOOD FRIDAY

This description (with map) of what probably happened to Jesus based on the Gospels and Roman crucifixion is very graphic and also has sketches.

It is nine pages long.  Be warned, it is disturbing reading.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/overviews/seasons/lent/passion1.cfm

ON THE PHYSICAL DEATH OF JESUS CHRIST

William D. Edwards, MD;

Wesley J. Gabel, MDiv;

Floyd E Hosmer, MS, AMI

Excerpt only: "Jesus of Nazareth underwent Jewish and Roman trials, was flogged, and was sentenced to death by crucifixion. The scourging produced deep stripe like lacerations and appreciable blood loss, and it probably set the stage for hypovolemic shock, as evidenced by the fact that Jesus was too weakened to carry the crossbar (patibulum) to Golgotha. At the site of crucifixion, his wrists were nailed to the patibulum and, after the patibulum was lifted onto the upright post (stipes), his feet were nailed to the stipes. The major pathophysiologic effect of crucifixion was an interference with normal respirations. Accordingly death resulted primarily from hypovolemic shock and exhaustion asphyxia. Jesus' death was ensured by the thrust of a soldier's spear into his side. Modern medical interpretation of the historical evidence indicate that Jesus was dead when taken down from the cross. (JAMA 1986;255:1455-1463)....."....

......More on above link (9 pages long)

I-Am-What-I-Am1.jpg

Good Friday is the mirror held up by Jesus so that we can see ourselves in all our stark reality, and then it turns us to that cross and to his eyes and we hear these words, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” That’s us! And so we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves. We see in that cross a love so amazing so divine that it loves us even when we turn away from it, or spurn it, or crucify it. There is no faith in Jesus without understanding that on the cross we see into the heart of God and find it filled with mercy for the sinner whoever he or she may be.

- Robert G. Trache

giphy.gif

Vincent's Quote of the Day (St Vincent de Paul Society)

Quote of the Day – March 31

"Try not to rush around, but do everything gently" (I:375).

giphy.gif

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters" (Colossians Chapter 3)

Even our relaxation time can be (and should be) offered through Jesus to The Father.   This is where the Morning Offering is short and says it all and our baptismal and lay vocation calls us too to do so.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

saint-catherine-siena-e.jpg

"Humble yourselves . . .

We cannot pass through the low door with our head held high

unless we want to crack it.

And the door we have to pass through is Christ crucified,

who humbled himself down to the level of

us witless fools."

- St Catherine of Siena

0402-624x468.png

---o0o---

The Truth of The Passion

pass9-740x493.png

Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa, the preacher of the Pontifical Household

https://zenit.org/articles/fr-cantalamessa-the-truth-of-the-passion/

Excerpt: "Fr. Cantalamessa answers: “On the cross, God reveals himself…himself as he really is, in his most intimate and truest reality. ‘God is love,”’ John writes (1 Jn 4:10), oblative love, a love that consists in self-giving, and only on the cross does God’s infinite capacity for self-gift manifest the length to which it will go.”

hqdefault.jpg

Say to those whose hearts are frightened:

Be strong, fear not!

Here is your God, he comes with vindication;

With divine recompense he comes to save you.

Isaiah Chapter 35