An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

slide_12.jpg

The joyful news that He is risen does not change the contemporary world. Still before us lie work, discipline, sacrifice. But the fact of Easter gives us the spiritual power to do the work, accept the discipline, and make the sacrifice. ~

Henry Knox Sherrill

Padre_Pio_Credit_patterned_via_Flickr_CC

Just watched a video on YouTube on the supposed prophecy of Padre Pio on the Three Days of Darkness.  It was quite disturbing and seemingly debatable if it did come from Padre Pio.  I decided to do what research I could from reliable sources:

Jimmy Akin and EWTN on

(Supposed) Padre Pio's Three Days of Darkness

http://jimmyakin.com/2010/01/a-reader-writessomebody-asked-me-in-regard-of-this-article-is-it-true-or-false-is-it-authentic-or-just-regular-pious-writi.html

http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=326829

I guess that whether one believes it or not is one's choice.  It is a supposed only private revelation and what The Church has to say about private revelations applies. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/vatican-publishes-guidelines-on-apparitions-private-revelations (Excerpt: "Cardinal Levada made clear in his preface to the guidelines that, unlike public revelation, Catholics are not bound to accept the veracity or content of any private revelation, not even those officially approved by church authorities.")

I can't find if the Vatican has said anything about the Three Days of Darkness specifically.

While The Three Days of Darkness goes into specifics that are quite dark, even scary, it can be summarised by Our Lady's message at Fatima.  Prayer and Penance.

Excerpt of the homily by Pope John Paul II, Fatima May 13 1982 on Our Lady's call to Prayer and Penance:   http://www.rosary-center.org/maryfatm.htm

ourlady002.png

Fatima, of course, is an approved apparition and private revelation.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

85c9e6e7217b14972a1e0e422122c73a.jpg

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

April 2

“We cannot be guilty of an excess in true hope, which can never be too great

because it is founded on the goodness of my God

and the merits of Jesus Christ.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

0407-624x468.png

If we will only surrender ourselves utterly to the Lord, and will trust Him perfectly, we shall find our souls “mounting up with wings as eagles” to the “heavenly places” in Christ Jesus, where earthly annoyances or sorrows have no power to disturb us. 
- Hannah Whitall Smith

Lord, I renounce my desire for human praise, for the approval of my peers, the need for public recognition. I deliberately put these aside today, content to hear you whisper, "Well done, my faithful servant." Amen
   - Anonymous

screen_shot_2018-04-05_at_3.56.40_pm.png

Australian Catholic Archbishop: 'Powerful Interests' Are Attacking Christians, 'Cast Us As Public Enemy No. 1' 

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/catholic-archbishop-powerful-interests-are-attacking-christians-cast-us

0408-624x468.png

Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God’s wisdom, nor our infirmity God’s omnipotence.

- John of Kronstadt

51eH65dwQpL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://aleteia.org/2018/03/05/how-to-bear-the-faults-of-others-according-to-the-the-imitation-of-christ/

Here are six quotes from the The Imitation of Christ on how to bear the faults of others.

Try to bear patiently with the defects and infirmities of others, whatever they may be, because you also have many a fault which others must endure.

If you cannot make yourself what you would wish to be, how can you bend others to your will? We want them to be perfect, yet we do not correct our own faults. We wish them to be severely corrected, yet we will not correct ourselves … it is clear how seldom we think of others as we do of ourselves.

Until God ordains otherwise, a man ought to bear patiently whatever he cannot correct in himself and in others. Consider it better thus—perhaps to try your patience and to test you, for without such patience and trial your merits are of little account.

nder such difficulties you should pray that God will consent to help you bear them calmly.

If, after being admonished once or twice, a person does not amend, do not argue with him but commit the whole matter to God that His will and honor may be furthered in all His servants, for God knows well how to turn evil to good.

[W]e must support one another, console one another, mutually help, counsel, and advise, for the measure of every man’s virtue is best revealed in time of adversity—adversity that does not weaken a man but rather shows what he is.

Underscore is not mine - and I could not delete it.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

490408cb91ebc08b502ea20bc8fd870a3660ab49

I am dealing with what is a big problem for me - I will post when and if I can and that might be only now and then.  I'll "do what I can and leave the rest to God" (St Mary of The Cross MacKillop - first Aussie saint).

c69c56532da81088e873fc88d6013b2d.jpg

“Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’

or ‘What shall we wear?’

For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,

and all these things will be added to you” (Matt 6:31-33). 

underhill-quote.jpg

The spiritual life is a stern choice. It is not a consoling retreat from the difficulties of existence, but an invitation to enter fully into that difficult existence, and there apply the Charity of God, and bear the cost.

- Evelyn Underhill

Edited by BarbaraTherese

LOJF-reflection-09b9ef.jpg

The reason we can hope to find God is that He is here, engaged all the time in finding us. Every gleam of beauty is a pull toward Him. Every pulse of love is a tendril that draws us in His direction. Every verification of truth links the finite mind up into a Foundational Mind that undergirds us. Every deed of good will points toward a consummate Goodness which fulfills all our tiny adventures in faith. We can find Him because in Him we live and move and have our being.

- Rufus M. Jones (1863-1948), Pathways to the Reality of God

Properly understood, prayer is a mature activity indispensable to the fullest development of personality—the ultimate integration of our highest faculties. Only in prayer do we achieve that complete and harmonious assembly of body, mind and spirit which gives the frail human reed its unshakable strength. 
- Alexis Carrel (1873-1944), Prayer is Power

Screen-Shot-2017-09-06-at-2.43.56-AM.png

Karl and Jenny Marx named all four of their daughters Jenny.

The world's largest cave is Hang Son Doong in Vietnam.  It is more than 5km long, 200m high and 150m wide