An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

St.-Vincent-de-Paul-2.jpg

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Apr 27, 2018

It is easy to go from deficiency to excess of the virtues, from being just to becoming rigid, and from zealous to inconsiderate (II:84).

0430-624x468.png

When I first read the above immediately after Morning Prayer, it harshly jolted me right down to my socks and with revulsion and I almost felt physically sick because I do not even remotely fit into the above description and "downright perfection" is nothing I understand even in contemporary terms.......which didn't stop me from taking note of the above being the words of a saint and pope - and so I asked myself "What exactly IS perfection?" and so jumped onto Mr. Google and asked the question again and a question I have asked over and over - over many years..

Not throwing out the baby with the bathwater :

Fr Thomas Keating is not a person I would in the ordinary course listen to in a video or read his writings.  I hold firmly to what the Church has to say about Centering Prayer and Fr Thomas is an advocate of CPRead about The Church and Centering Prayer HERE

However, I stumbled across this video in trying to ascertain what exactly perfection might be and why I started to watch Fr Thomas, I don't know because normally I would do anything but, except that, and quite possibly because, Fr T was speaking about St Therese of Lisieux.  I wanted to hear what he had to say about her.   As the video unfolded into several minutes, I began to think "This man really does have something to say".  However, what he had to say had nothing to do at all with Centering Prayer thankfully - rather it gave me insight into the parables by situating them in the context of their times and then drawing out of that context what it can mean to the modern person today (and Fr T does point out that his sharing is one aspect only of the bottomless treasury of Scripture and thus the Parables of Jesus).  His address, I thought, brings out just how important it can be to understand the parables in the context of their times - a real hobby horse of mine re Scripture.

As Fr T spoke, a personal spiritual jigsaw in the doldrums, began to make sense to me and pieces were falling into place.  As an aside to the address, I certainly have been in a place of total and absolute alienation from God that descended from I do not know where - an interior dejection and terrible loneliness, unbelievable and unendurable loneliness.  I was not in a state of mortal sin to my knowledge.  It was a place where one still believes and hopes but it offers absolutely no comfort no consolation whatsoever rather it increases the interior terrible loneliness as if no other person existed at all - thankfully it now seems like it was only for a very short time and such experiences or similar which might be negative or even positive, I write off to mental illness and leave it there and move on.

One thing that came across strongly to me from the video is that St Therese did not react to situations necessarily according to some book, rather she reacted from where she was at and did what she could and at least once we know of, that involved a complete retreat and running away from a situation because her emotions were so strong she felt she would give in to those emotions if she stayed in the situation.  Truly is St Therese a saint with a spirituality of imperfection Part 1 of 2 - "Therese - Spirituality of Imperfection"/Finding Strength in Weakness

In the closing minutes of Part 1, Fr K speaks about St Therese and her most remarkable and astounding perception of the Nature of God.

If only my memory would hold on to some of these gems I come across, but even a day or two would be remarkable for me.  I stumble along leaning on The Holy Spirit and Jesus and for The Glory of The Father - and never believing for a second I achieve any of it even remotely.

There is a Part 1 and 2 to Father Thomas's address and Part 2 is linked at the end of this post:

Part 2 is HERE

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Just watched the closing minutes of Part 2 of Father Thomas Keating speaking about St Therese of Lisieux - and his words were quite profound, well worth the hearing 

What follows is very much paraphrased: to struggle with what is probably the most difficult for someone seeking God - i.e. to accept the humiliation of not being what you would like to be, to accept one's faults and even sins.  To trust to audacity in the Goodness of The Father, boundless confidence in the Love of God to heal oneself and others.........to show love and love will set in order Charity within us so that no matter our difficulties, we continue to show love and to forgive, to build instead of tearing down and to have mercy.

I thought Father Thomas's address was worth hearing re daily life especially...........while I reiterate that I reject centering prayer in most all its aspects.

______

I don't know why the following came to mind - possibly the jumping from subject to subject of the bipolar mind.

I recall that when in college, Sister was talking to us about  religious life.  Because I was fixated on my vocation as religious life alone, I wasn't really listening to most of what she had to say.  But suddenly I really heard her: "God might call you to religious life as the only way you are going to save your soul".  That really got me thinking and tearing down my notions of a religious vocation as marking out those beloved by God and especially honoured by Him - i.e. the very holy ones in our midst.  And of course it is all that even if it is the only way I will save my soul............think about it :) 

bonhoeffer.jpg?itok=7lk34xt2

They who can no longer listen to one another will soon no longer be listening to God either; they will always be talking even in the presence of God. This is the beginning of the death of the spiritual life, and in the end there will be nothing left but spiritual chatter and clerical condescension arrayed in pious words … never really speaking to others. 
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945), Life Together 

desales.jpg?w=585

First steps to a healthy spiritual life

according to St Francis de Sales

HERE (scroll down)

live-for-today-quote-good-quotes-happy-l

It has been well said that no one ever sank under the burden of the day. It is when tomorrow’s burden is added to the burden of today that the weight is more than a person can bear. Never load yourselves so, my friends. If you find yourselves so loaded, at least remember this: it is your own doing, not God’s. He begs you to leave the future to Him and mind the present.

- George MacDonald (1824-1905), “Annals of a Quiet Neighbourhood,” v. I

---o0o---

Matthew Chapter 6:  "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own. "

main-qimg-c58536ea29531a9722004f6c514a29

Taking the precious from the worthless, or loving one’s neighbour

There are men who, through spiritual charity, assume the burdens of others over and above their own strength, remembering this word: “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for those one loves” (cf. Jn 15:13).

And there are others who, even though they have doubtless received from God the strength to bear responsibility for others do not willingly take this burden upon themselves for the salvation of their brethren. I am very sorry for these since they do not possess charity.

As for the first, to them I apply these words: “If you utter what is precious and not what is worthless, you shall be my mouth” (Jer 15:19), and “As you have done, so will it be done to you” (Ob 1:15).

I have seen a sick man heal the infirmity of another sick man with his faith by using a praiseworthy impudence towards God on behalf of the other and giving his soul for the soul of his brother in all humility. And while healing him, he himself was healed. And I have seen another do the same but through pride, who heard this reprimand: “Physician, cure yourself” (Lk 4:23).

Saint John Climacus (c.575-c.650), monk on Mount Sinai
The Ladder of Divine Ascent

augustine-canterbury-1-sized.jpg

Of this at least I am certain, that no one has ever died who was not destined to die some time. Now the end of life puts the longest life on a par with the shortest… And of what consequence is it what kind of death puts an end to life, since he who has died once is not forced to go through the same ordeal a second time? ...

… They, then, who are destined to die, need not be careful to inquire what death they are to die, but into what place death will usher them.

- St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430), The City of God

maxresdefault.jpg

"Of all the trails in life

There is one trail that is the most important -

To be a good human being"

Film: "Dances With Wolves" Stars Kevin Costner

(I think I have the quote right and not paraphrasing, but unsure)

Update_4533291.jpg

If I am burdening with what I have written before, please forgive me.  My memory is shocking and I will only very rarely read back over what I might have written previously. The thought just popped into my head that if it is good enough for a St Teresa of Avila, then it just has to be ok from the likes of me. :fight:

I saw my GP yesterday afternoon after an ultrasound on my right wrist in the morning.  The result of the ultrasound is that I have severe swelling and inflammation on my right wrist.  The doctor who saw me after the ultrasound offered an injection but my reply was short, very short: "No way, thank you".  Hence, I need to keep the brace on as much as I can and healing will be slow, but gradual slow healing there will be.

My brother thinks I am chicken.............

chickenidiom.jpg?fit=600,401&ssl=1

............. and he is quite correct...........

When I saw my GP yesterday, she asked how I was going with the Norspan Patch as an analgesic for all my other aches and pains.  The result is that since the itching is not consistent, I am probably not allergic to the patches, which are changed only weekly; hence, on Tuesday when I take the patch off, if I am allergic there will be a rash and perhaps blisters.  I am hoping that I won't prove allergic and indications are that I am not because the Norspan is really working for me and taking the worst of the pain away completely.  Deo Gratius

I am leading up to something, fear not............I am just taking the scenic route or the long way round - as usual.     i_am_not_lost_just_taking_the_scenic_rou

Celebrating that the Norspan Patch seems to be the right analgesic for me, I brought a packet of cigarettes and earlier today was out under the pergola having a smoke.  Quite suddenly I became aware of Our Lady embracing me as her child.  I have never experienced that before nor even remotely close.  I have tried to shake the feeling on the one hand but with gratitude on the other -  the awareness has persisted.  I have always had Our Lady on a very high pedestal indeed - far too high for the likes of this earthbound creature down here.  It confuses me why someone like Our Lady would have anything to do with such as I - other than from Heaven and I have always known that was so.  And, of course, feelings are only feelings and not facts - but probably for most of us, and most often, consolation is based in what one feels.   And in the Doctrine of Divine Providence every good, be it ever so tiny or absolute huge comes from God.  Hence, I reason, to feel that Our Lady is embracing a worthless creature as her child is a good, a massive good, an absolutely huge good.  It tells more about God and Our Lady and their qualities than anything else.  Laudate Dominum.

I read somewhere (I had thought it was St Teresa of Avila but have never been able to find it again) that very often the Consolations of God are sent by God to strengthen Faith in weakness.   Rather, I tended to think that consolations were all about how good I was doing on the spiritual scale...........but then life moved on and I learnt just how bad I could be and that probably the greatest paradox we will ever need to deal with is all about the spiritual scale.

Musing through my confusions and new experience of Our Lady and me, I began to reflect on my faults and failings and in the course, asked myself "How would I like others to think of me?"  Answering that for myself, I then asked "Why wouldn't they think that of me?"  And in answering that I found my cardinal fault in the spotlight for all to see.........except me.  So I moved on a bit further and asked myself "Do I expect others to love and cherish, value me warts and all?"  I thought about that package for a bit and came to the conclusion that yes, I do desire to be loved and cherished, valued, with all of my warts, faults, failings and general miseries.  Then it came home to me in a new way:  It is precisely that that I owe to others as a duty of love of neighbour.   Maybe one day, if I am outstandingly blest, it will be what I feel about others and not a duty I resolve to do and try anyway to carry out.  And Love is in the will, in our choices and decisions.   I mean, we all know that, but sometimes something REALLY comes home to one as never before.

I think by that point, I had had two cigarettes:smokey:...............or perhaps it was three......

Laudate Dominum

..........out under the pergola again with a decaf..........and probably my fourth or more cigarette.........when the thought came to me that both consolation AND desolation are most often based in what one feels.  And feelings are not facts.   Desolation is not a good however and never is - and therefore will never ever come from God - He may permit slight or major desolation however.............and another fact of our Doctrine of Divine Providence and how God's Plan is worked out in us individually and collectively - be it Joy or be it suffering........and all the inbetweens.

Catholic Catechism

V. GOD CARRIES OUT HIS PLAN: DIVINE PROVIDENCE

302 Creation has its own goodness and proper perfection, but it did not spring forth complete from the hands of the Creator. The universe was created "in a state of journeying" (in statu viae) toward an ultimate perfection yet to be attained, to which God has destined it. We call "divine providence" the dispositions by which God guides his creation toward this perfection:

By his providence God protects and governs all things which he has made, "reaching mightily from one end of the earth to the other, and ordering all things well". For "all are open and laid bare to his eyes", even those things which are yet to come into existence through the READ ON HERE about Divine Providence from the Catholic Catechism

........scroll down to #302

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I thought this was a pretty good covering of The Sacrament of Reconciliation - and not only about confessing the same sin or sins over and over again.

The video is only a fraction over 7 minutes long.

MECC-cloud-colour-blind-tested.gif

Trying to gauge whether it is worthwhile continuing this thread, I started a Poll in Open Mic. last night.

Voting is completely private and it is not made public of who is voting and what they voted.  It is a secret vote and will conclude on Pentecost Sunday 20th May 2018.  As initiator of the Poll, I cannot see who voted nor what they voted either.

The Poll with related thread is  HERE

0505-624x468.png

Mea Culpa. 

Although it does seem to me that there is a difference, a vast difference, between complaining out of self love, and sharing.  "Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfil the Law of Christ" (Galatians Chapter 6) ......... and how can we gift another with the opportunity to fulfil The Law of Christ, if we do not share.

Three things for me come out of that reflection:

1 -  I can never judge and the total impossibility of judging another

2 - The importance of motivation in the spiritual journey

3 - I do find it a bit shallow to be continually deciding and acting in the interests of my own personal holiness.  Rather, to my possibly screwed up reasoning, it would be better to decide and act in the best interests of the other, even if I am wrongly judged because of it.  Wow............ now there is a tall order!

:hehe2:

The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples.. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray: 'Take only ONE . God is watching.' 

Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. 
A child had written a note, 'Take all you want. God is watching the apples'.