An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

0506-624x468.png

---o0o---

StVincentdePaul.png

Saint Vincent de Paul (1581-1660), priest, founder of religious communities
Address to the Daughters of Charity, (Conference of 31 July 1634 rev.)

Love one another

The way to observe your Rule is by living in great friendship and charity towards each other. The ones who are chosen for the same duty should also be united in everything. These are chosen for the fulfilment of a design but the building will not last if you do not mutually love each another, and this bond will prevent it breaking. Our Lord said to his apostles: “My apostles, if you want the design I have had from all eternity, live in great charity.”

Daughters, it is true you are weak, but bear with one another’s imperfections. Unless you do this the building will fall apart and others will be put in your place. And because there may be antipathies there it will be good for you to change, with the permission of the superiors and senior ladies. Saint Peter, Saint Paul and Saint Barnabus had a good many disagreements and for this reason you should not be surprised if some poor, weak women should have them. You should have the readiness to go wherever you are commanded and even of asking for it and saying: “I don’t belong either here or there but wherever it pleases God I should be.”

From DailyGospel.org

---o0o---

TRUTH ABOUT EASTER

AND

DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY

Divine-Mercy-Prayer-Card-front-for-web.j

https://www.catholic.org/lent/story.php?id=77065

Excerpt: "There is one more thing that is of the utmost importance and it would be a grave injustice to the Lord not to proclaim it. Jesus said that the Feast of Mercy would be the last hope of salvation. These words can be found in the diary of St. Faustina "Divine Mercy in My Soul" entry #965. If this be true, then everyone must be told about it, including fallen-away and lapsed Catholics. Proclaim it from the rooftops and tell everyone about those special graces on Mercy Sunday!"

near-death-experience-1.jpg

204. What is the relationship between the Resurrection of Christ and our resurrection?

Just as Christ is truly risen from the dead and now lives forever, so he himself will raise everyone on the last day with an incorruptible body: "Those who have done good will rise to the resurrection of life and those who have done evil to the resurrection of condemnation" (John 5:29).

Further reading: CCC 998, 1002-1003

205. What happens to our body and our soul after death?

After death, which is the separation of the body and the soul, the body becomes corrupt while the soul, which is immortal, goes to meet the judgment of God and awaits its reunion with the body when it will rise transformed at the time of the return of the Lord. How the resurrection of the body will come about exceeds the possibilities of our imagination and understanding.

Further reading: CCC 992-1004, 1016-1018

206. What does it mean to die in Christ Jesus?

Dying in Christ Jesus means to die in the state of God's grace without any mortal sin. A believer in Christ, following his example, is thus able to transform his own death into an act of obedience and love for the Father. "This saying is sure: if we have died with him, we will also live with him" (2 Timothy 2:11).

Further reading: CCC 992-1004, 1016-1018

"Catechism in a Year" website - Subscribe here: http://flocknote.com/catechism 

Since we call those souls in Purgatory, the Holy Souls in Purgatory, we can also pray to them to pray for us and our intentions.  The Body of Christ is comprised of all in Heaven, those in Purgatory and the Church Militant here on earth.  We are all united into, and comprise, The Mystical Body of Christ.  We are One in Christ.

Pope_Francis_Pontifex_Twitter_logo_CNA_V

"When we are open to God’s grace, even the impossible becomes possible."

TWITTER: Pope Francis‏ @Pontifex Apr 27 2018

How to know one is open to God's Grace?

No idea whatsoever

I wonder though, which is better?  For a limited fallible human being to know.  Or to not know at all but to Hope in The Lord

---o0o---

ambit.png

A few days ago I received an email from COTA (government subsidised Council for The Ageing).  They were doing a general mail out asking for "Your Story" and also full name, photo and agreement to speak with media.  At the time, I simply deleted the email because I felt I had enough on my plate with something like that being added.  Of course, not every story will be chosen but it becomes a potential once one submits his or her story

Yesterday, I was all day......... literally all day.......... on the phone to different organizations for various reasons or handling paperwork for other reasons.  I never had so much paperwork until we became the "paperless society". At some point, I lost my cool completely handling paperwork as my mobile (cell phone) rang -  and so I sort of yelled quietly and angrily "I didn't make this many phone calls or handle so much paperwork when I was in the workforce.  Will you please let me know what all this is about?".  This morning, I had to deal with a totally different government department and was on the phone for over 45 minutes  of which went by (it was 12.30pm almost already and all I had done was paperwork and phone calls) hanging on while the receptionist went off to do something, check out something or other.  Eventually, it was all sorted out.............I think..........I hope.  The government department concerned, for any with any interest for some reason, was MY AGE CARE - we oldies dependant on government assistance for some reason or other HAVE to go through MY AGE CARE.  It is a complete nightmare to deal with!  And I am not the only one to state this by far and that includes some MY AGE CARE operators.   Before it was set up, we were told that it was going to make life far more easier and simpler for us older members of society...............and we believed them!

MY AGE CARE...........Talk about dotting i's and crossing t's.........and then double checking.  And not even then necessarily getting it right, which one eventually discovers and has to phone again.

While hanging on with MY AGE CARE, I located the deleted email from COTA and filled out the requirements with my story (summarised and generalised, except for MY AGE CARE).  My story is far too long and involved to write about and I stated this.  I gave a brief summary as a person of mature age with a serious mental illness.  I gave my full name and agreement to speak with media, but no photograph, because i don't know how to do it on the computer.  I hit SEND and then regretted it knowing it was an angry knee jerk reaction only; however, moving on and giving it some thought, I really would like to share my story and speak to the media about it because I think that probably writing and speaking might fall into the ambit of my gifts, although writing would be a definite from feedback received (not from Phatmassers)  Not only that, but if it came to fruition, I would pray and hope that it would be more about the problems of sufferers of mental illness generally and specifically as one grows older on the age pension - as well as generally about getting older and related problems.  ...................AND................MY AGE CARE!

Hence, if you read this say a quick prayer that the result of my angry action in sending off my story etc. to COTA will have a good outcome, if there is to be anything further as a result.

Many years ago, I rang a talk back line on the radio which was asking for funny stories, and got through and it was broadcasted - I did not state that I was a sufferer of mental illness.  A short time later, I received a phone call asking would I like to be on the radio as my voice came over quite well.  My first question was "Will I be paid" and the answer was in the affirmative.  I hesitated with that response for a bit, but thankfully at the time I must have been between episodes of bipolar, because my response was something like this: "Thank you very much, but I better not."  "Are you sure?" 

"Oh yes, I am very sure".

Imagine me being broadcasted over the radio with an episode of bipolar underway rotfl

Fiat Voluntas Tua

Laudate Dominum

Edited by BarbaraTherese

hjacksonbrownjr1.jpg

How easy it is to blame others for our unhappiness, but we are only unhappy when something other than Christ has become our life. (For example) The husband or wife who has Christ as their life, comes to their spousal relationship already satisfied. They do not come continually looking to made happy by another person’s attention; they bring Christ’s life to their spouse.

- Francis Frangipane

The Meaning of Life

Catholic Exchange - https://catholicexchange.com/the-meaning-of-life-3

Excerpt: Corinthians 8:28 promises us, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” So, indeed, God has a purpose and we have been created as part of that purpose and for a purpose. And Jesus tells us what that purpose is – to love and serve God, and to love and serve others – and it’s repeated three times in the Scriptures (Matt 22:36, Mark 12:29, Luke 10:25). It’s really so very, very simple. When we are fulfilling that purpose, then that place deep down inside of us fills up and we experience peace and happiness. When we’re not, and we begin focusing on our own self and our own needs exclusively, then other emotions start flooding in.

0508-624x468.png

Biography of Blessed Miriam Teresa

The proof that you love someone is not that you have warm affectionate feelings toward them. The proof is in your actions, your words and your sacrifice, your willingness to give the best of yourself and your willingness to get nothing in return. 
- Katherine Walden 

symeon+new+theologian.jpg

Symeon the New Theologian (c.949-1022), Greek monk, saint of the Orthodox churches 

"When he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth"

What is the key to knowledge if not the grace of the Holy Spirit conferred by faith? Its illumination truly gives knowledge, divine knowledge, and opens our closed and veiled minds, as we frequently experience with regard to many parables and figures, to say nothing of clearer demonstrations. Pay careful attention, therefore, to the spiritual meaning of the word. If the key does not open the door - for Scripture says, to him the doorkeeper opens - it remains unopened; and if the door is not opened, no one enters the Father's house. As Christ says: "No one comes to the Father except through me" (Jn 14:6). 
Now the fact that it is the Holy Spirit who first opens our minds and teaches us about the Father and the Son is again stated by Christ himself: "When the Spirit of truth comes, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me and he will lead you to the whole truth" (Jn 15:26; 16:13). Do you not see how through the Spirit, or rather in the Spirit, the Father and the Son come to be known inseparably?... 

The Holy Spirit is called the key because it is through him and in him that we first receive spiritual illumination, and being purified, are enlightened with the light of knowledge, and baptized from above, and born again, and called children of God. As Paul says: "The Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groans" (Rm 8:26); and again, "God has given his Spirit to our hearts and he cries out, 'Abba, Father' " (Gal 4:6). It is the Spirit, therefore, who shows us the door which is light, and the door teaches us that he who inhabits the dwelling is himself also light inaccessible.  https://dailygospel.org/M/AM/

Two things struck me watching the above video, and I very much like probably most all of Father Mike's brief and for me enlightening videos on Ascension Presents. 

First, it is about Israel and the cloud that went before them.  When the cloud was not there guiding them, I imagined that they just went about their ordinary life at the time and addressing their circumstances at the time in the very ordinary - and being a tribe needed to settle where they were at least for a time and address their ordinary needs there, perhaps erecting tents, finding and gather water, food etc. etc. - until the cloud appeared once more.  I mean, they went on like that for forty years of all things!

The other was about the Annunciation and Our Lady.    When the Angel Gabriel appears, Mary is really shook up, really shook up, at the way he addresses her and what he had to say:

Luke Chapter 1 "But Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?" And the angel said to her in reply, "The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; for nothing will be impossible for God."

Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your  word." Then the angel departed from her. 

In my imagination, Our Lady is still quite puzzled by the astounding announcement made to her and her whole attitude and response is summed up in "Behold, I am the handmaid of The Lord".  "Be it done unto me according to your word".  If God is really asking of her what Gabriel suddenly announces to her without warning at all, she responds that whatever The Lord asks of her, she is His handmaid and will be obedient.  And either at that time or a bit later, she discovers she is pregnant.  What a road she is to travel with her Son!

If I think God is calling to me, I might want to know this and then want to know that - and then another this and that etc. etc. before I make a decision.  I guess I might know what I mean, but it is difficult to communicate in words.

Most of all I liked the way Father finishes his little homily "He will be with you". As long as I am in the state of Sanctifying Grace to my knowledge, I can journey on very confident that God is with me...........that is what Sanctifying Grace means I think.  It can be made to be so very complicated - I dont think that it is at all.

A thought just popped into my head.  It is Judgement Day and I am up.  The Lord says to me: "OK, now you really are in a lot of trouble".  I saw King Creole with Elvis Presley in my teens and I absolutely loved it when he jumps up on the bar and sings "If you are looking for trouble"....................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIlmgckXg-J3M0R5RLMNV

St Therese of Lisieux - Saint and Carmelite Nun

offers her simple advice for those struggling with distractions in the midst of prayer.

HERE

The above is another really good video from Fr. Mike

---o0o---

I laughed watching the following - and laughed!..........in the opening few minutes.......

(later in the video I thought he could have had St Therese of Lisieux and her Little Way in mind)

The following might be a help to quite a few, I think....

(I went 20 years without being able to find a spiritual director)

join-me-catechism.png

Catechism in a Year

SUBSCRIBE - HERE

212. In what does hell consist?

Hell consists in the eternal damnation of those who die in mortal sin through their own free choice. The principal suffering of hell is eternal separation from God in whom alone we can have the life and happiness for which we were created and for which we long. Christ proclaimed this reality with the words, "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire" (Matthew 25:41).

Further reading: CCC 1033-1035, 1056- 1057

213. How can one reconcile the existence of hell with the infinite goodness of God?

God, while desiring "all to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9), nevertheless has created the human person to be free and responsible; and he respects our decisions. Therefore, it is the human person who freely excludes himself from communion with God if at the moment of death he persists in mortal sin and refuses the merciful love of God.

Further reading: CCC 1036-1037

train-a-child.jpg?w=530

"Jesus called a little child to stand among them. “Truly I tell you, He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"

Matthew Chapter 18

READ THE CATHOLIC BIBLE IN A YEAR

https://readthecatholicbibleinayear.wordpress.com/

I will simply add a week every so often to an already posted list of weeks - it would be great if we could get a discussion going now and then.

A quick prayer to The Holy Spirit before reading (or your own prayer)

"Come Holy Spirit, Creator Come, from Your Bright Heavenly   Throne.  Please take possession of our souls and make them all Your own."                                                 

Week l   here

tree-and-rainbows1.jpg?w=530

When the bow is in the clouds, I will look upon it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.” (Gen 9:16)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

pizap.com14672799665351.jpg

Alvine Toffler RIP (Toffler died in 2016)

https://www.amazon.com/Future-Shock-Alvin-Toffler/dp/0553277375

I read this book so long ago, I recall little of the detail.  I do recall vividly it was a really excellent read, if a heavy one.  I had occasion a couple of days ago to refer someone to it as a must read and thought I would post it here. Alvin Toffler's book "Future Shock" was a best seller in its day -  he wrote a couple of sequels as well, which I haven't read.

Below is what I thought was a pretty good summary of the book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/466537.Future_Shock

Dec 18, 2007Eric rated it really liked it

The book is divided into 6 parts. Part 1 introduces the basic program (death of permanence), Parts 2-4 explain the 3 factors that induce future shock: transience, novelty and diversity and Parts 5-6 bring in future shock and possibly coping strategies. For me, it was initially a very slow read, but for some reason it eventually took off into Part 3, and I found myself sold.

Toffler worries that we are hurtling towards mass feelings of "future shock" (akin to culture shock that travellers get when they go to a foreign country). The book serves as a tool for diagnosing the problem, i.e. why he thinks we'll be getting future shock, and also as a way of asking what we can do about it.

He makes some predictions (especially in the novelty section), and almost 40 years later, we see that he gets some of the wrong, at least for the time being. But that doesn't matter. It's just details, and for that matter, he himself says that although it's very easy to get things wrong, it is important to try looking into and anticipating the future.

Book is actually quite pro-technology and pro-change. Future shock comes because people today are experiencing too much change too fast. It's not that change is inherently bad, he says. Too little change and life is boring. But too much change, too much stimulation and we have trouble coping. And if you're worried about change, well there's a whole lot more of it coming right around the corner. 

(Key anticipatory rebuttal: it's important to plan for the long term, but that doesn't mean that plans have to be rigid. You may very well have to revise your 20 year plans from one year to the next, or more, but it's ok. Plan fluidly, but plan ahead)

Some of his proposals don't seem terribly realistic: the idea of post-technocratic planning sounds swell and all, but I don't see any nation, democratic or otherwise sitting itself down for 5 years (he's thinking War Games and future-jury duty), taking stock and asking where it wants to be. In any case, Toffler wants to get us thinking about how we can manage change and assure humanity a soft landing into the future.

Nice read. Kinda funny to see links with No Logo and The Paradox of Choiceand maybe even Getting Things Done. (less)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

What has stayed in my mind from "Future Shock" and with effect is that unless we learn to be selective about the information we take in and try to retain, our brain will go into overload and we wont be able to cope.  That is what I got out of it anyway - my conclusion did have a positive affect in my life.  What was once conscious effort, I think I now do unconsciously without effort.

---o0o---

A little boy's explanation of God and Heaven

You can pray anytime you want, because in Heaven they are sure to help you because they got it all worked out so one of them is on duty all the time. :) 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

brain-overload.jpg

Re "Future Shock" again.  I can't recall what it was like when I was much younger - but at 72yrs I can certainly reach a point where I just cannot think anymore.  I had one of those days today and I had to do some entries into Excel and for a few seconds a few times, I just could not think how to go about it.  My ;brain was in overload - too much info too soon.

Two things happened today.  A company with whom I deal had rung and said I owe them over $199.  I was gobsmacked, floored! I knew it was nowhere near that amount.  By the time I had it all sorted, I only owed $20.52 but I had to go back into my records and finally insist that they email me and not phone.  Youngies can find it hard to almost impossible to understand what it is like to have a 72yr old brain that really has done a lot of work during those years and bits are now falling off, it just aint working like it used to do.  :)  To add insult to injury, I opened my mail for today my rent went up and my pension went down by $7.  Probably doesn't sound like much, but it floored me!  Hence I had to go into Excel and revise my budget and my brain just would not turn over for me.

Thank you, Lord, that today is over and happily all settled. 

At least I have a roof over my head, Lord - please take the homeless under your wing. Amen