An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Renewal

Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

I'm helping the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal on Saturday!

I've done it twice before. The first time, there were only 4 volunteers - myself and three friends of mine - and we had to pack Thanksgiving baskets for people.

Here was the finished project. :D If I remember correctly, it was 180 bags. (Not all of them are in the picture.)

IMG_5675.JPG

The second time I went, we had to distribute Christmas baskets. One of our jobs was to go along the line of people waiting and give them hot-chocolate and cookies, and chat with them. Once we had distributed all the hot-chocolate and cookies, we sang Christmas carols to them. It was wonderful! One kid (around 6 years old) who had come with his parents to get food come over and sang with us. (Or at least, tried to sing. =)) He asked if we could sing Away in a Manger, and then he shared my Christmas Carol booklet with me. :) Another time, we got the entire line of people singing a Spanish Christmas Carol, while we just listened! It was a fantastic experience. =)

Just wanted to share my experience with you. I'm looking forward to Saturday!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!

– Cilla

God, I love these Sisters!  I seriously wish I was called there.  I visited them on a vocation retreat over 4 years ago and that was the BEST retreat I went on.  I have a few friends that entered there and I'm seeing them in a few months at a retreat I'm helping plan.  So excited!

• 3 weeks later...

oh, my goodness!! one of my good friends just became a postulant there last week!!

Hello, I thought they only accept entrance in September of each year? at least that's what the sisters in the UK told me!

Ancilla Domini

Hello, I thought they only accept entrance in September of each year? at least that's what the sisters in the UK told me!

When I volunteered there, they had just received two new postulants. (I went February 15, and they had entered the 2nd, I believe.) Another friend of mine also told me that she thought they only accepted postulants in September. Maybe that's something that the sisters in the UK do, but not the sisters in NY?

Ancilla Domini

When I volunteered there, they had just received two new postulants. (I went February 15, and they had entered the 2nd, I believe.) Another friend of mine also told me that she thought they only accepted postulants in September. Maybe that's something that the sisters in the UK do, but not the sisters in NY?

OnlySunshine

The candidacy/aspirancy starts in September and then the candidates are made postulants in February.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

thepiaheart

Yep! They received their postulant outfits, and they all look beautiful--I think there are three of them.

loveletslive

do they go by Sr [firstname] now or still just by their first name until they receive the habit & their religious name?

Yep! They received their postulant outfits, and they all look beautiful--I think there are three of them.

do you live near the area and know the sisters? do you know how often they have Come and See? I heard it is once a month but just wish to know. Thanks!

OnlySunshine

do they go by Sr [firstname] now or still just by their first name until they receive the habit & their religious name?

During the postulancy, they refer to them by their baptismal name.  They don't receive the title of Sister and a religious name until they are clothed in the novice habit.  :)