An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Renewal

Ancilla Domini

thepiaheart

do you live near the area and know the sisters? do you know how often they have Come and See? I heard it is once a month but just wish to know. Thanks!

Yep! I live in NY, and I volunteer with/see the sisters and friars alike on a very regular basis.

As for the Come & Sees, I'm not sure; I've had the great blessing of spending much time with them, since I'm so close, and have never visited on an actual weekend. You'd have to call Sr. Mary Pieta, the Vocation Director--718.828.4104.

Yep! I live in NY, and I volunteer with/see the sisters and friars alike on a very regular basis.

As for the Come & Sees, I'm not sure; I've had the great blessing of spending much time with them, since I'm so close, and have never visited on an actual weekend. You'd have to call Sr. Mary Pieta, the Vocation Director--718.828.4104.

Thank you so much! I'm on the other side of the globe so calling will be difficult and too expensive, but I'll wait to hear from the SIsters in ENgland :) Can you ask them to pray for me please? Thanks :D

PhuturePriest

They're awesome! But of course they're nowhere nearly as cool as the Friars. A friend of mine who discerned with the Sisters and had regular contact with both of them agrees with me. :P

They're amesome! But of course they're nowhere nearly as cool as the Friars. A friend of mine who discerned with the Sisters and had regular contact with both of them agrees with me. :P

too bad if we're girls we cannot become a friar then........lol

They're amesome! But of course they're nowhere nearly as cool as the Friars. A friend of mine who discerned with the Sisters and had regular contact with both of them agrees with me. :P

PhuturePriest

I think the extra awesome the Friars have is stored in their hood. Veils are nice, but hoods are cooler hands-down.

OnlySunshine

The Sisters are the next best thing in my book.  Just think, you'll be around the friars quite a bit helping out in their apostolates.  ;)

The Sisters are the next best thing in my book.  Just think, you'll be around the friars quite a bit helping out in their apostolates.  ;)

if only God is calling me there :P

if only God is calling me there :P

Do not give up so easy.Have i little faith in Jesus and your possible vocation :)

thepiaheart

The friars are pretty great--especially as confessors & spiritual directors. :) They are by nature and spirit, as an order, incredibly paternal and maternal, more so than any other order that I've encountered, and it has been such a witness, and brought so much healing. 

• 5 months later...

The candidacy/aspirancy starts in September and then the candidates are made postulants in February.  :)

Hello!

Do you know when they accept applications for entrance to the community each year?

I just started discerning with them this summer and hope to visit in the fall. :) I met Sr. Clare and Sr. Faustina at a retreat here in TX back in January, and then I spoke to Sr. Mary Pieta on the phone last month. I would really appreciate any advice/info you can give me as far as discerning goes. Thanks!

In Christ through Mary,

Stephanie 

PhuturePriest

Wait, they have official times that aspirants enter? I've never heard of that before. The Franciscan Brothers Minor just get you in at the nearest possible opportunity, regardless if someone else enters at the same time.

OnlySunshine

Hello!

Do you know when they accept applications for entrance to the community each year?

I just started discerning with them this summer and hope to visit in the fall. :) I met Sr. Clare and Sr. Faustina at a retreat here in TX back in January, and then I spoke to Sr. Mary Pieta on the phone last month. I would really appreciate any advice/info you can give me as far as discerning goes. Thanks!

In Christ through Mary,

Stephanie 

I believe it's preferable to submit the applications before their pre-candidacy program which is two weeks in July each year.  My friend participated and they immerse you in the convent life and the apostolates.  You're basically given an inside look.  I believe this is also the time that you are given the psychological evaluation.  It used to be completed by Fr. Groeschel who is a licensed psychologist, but I'm not sure if he's still doing it since he retired from active apostolate.  Anyway, that's all I know.  I never did apply with them because I discerned I wasn't called there.  Sr. Mary Pieta could probably give you updated information.  ;)

OnlySunshine

Wait, they have official times that aspirants enter? I've never heard of that before. The Franciscan Brothers Minor just get you in at the nearest possible opportunity, regardless if someone else enters at the same time.

Yes, they have certain steps that candidates have to take and like to take them as scheduled.  The nice thing is that these keeps everyone who enters in the same "class" and they make novitiate and vows together.  They are a very healthy community.  :)

This is not unusual - a lot of religious communities do the same.