An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Entrenched Is Homosexuality In The Seminaries?

Eliakim

I don't know how prevalent it used to be but I think there is a strong response now to reject seminary applicants who indicate that they have SSA. I only have anecdotal evidence to support this but a friend of mine applied to seminary and went through the psychological evaluation with flying colors but when it came to his panel interview he admitted to having SSA feelings. He didn't think this would disqualify him because he was chaste/celibate and planned to remain so.

Despite having been an ideal applicant in every other way (references, 12 years as altar server, etc), he was rejected. He was devastated and couldn't figure out why but my first thought was - you admitted to potential homosexuality and they got scared.

I could be totally wrong about this and am willing to read other opinions, but honestly, my friend had nothing else that could have been considered disqualifying in any way, and at the time he was working as a grounds caretaker for a convent and had great references from the nuns as well as from his diocesan Bishop, pastor etc.

It just my opinion but I feel very sorry for your friend. I do not believe someone who has vowed themselves to chastity even while having ssa should be denied on that reason alone.

It just my opinion but I feel very sorry for your friend. I do not believe someone who has vowed themselves to chastity even while having ssa should be denied on that reason alone.

Part of the problem is that, in many dioceses, the seminary selection process includes only a very limited amount of formation. The rest of the time it's more of a process of elimination. You bring in a certain number each year, and chop out a certain percentage from each class as time goes on. Rectors and staff often talk about their rates of men leaving seminary as being very stable, which is viewed as a sign that the seminary is performing properly. If the number of men leaving was too low, it was viewed as a sign that the seminary staff were not scrutinizing men close enough. If the number of men leaving was too high it meant the staff weren't trying hard enough to retain the desirable candidates.

HisChildForever

Do you know when he was in the seminary?   I heard similar stories, but from before Benedict's directions from 2005 (or was it '06?) were implemented.

He was on the way out in 2010/2011.

He was on the way out in 2010/2011.

Hrm, similar years as me. I'm curious what seminary he was at, but you don't have to answer that.

HisChildForever

Hrm, similar years as me. I'm curious what seminary he was at, but you don't have to answer that.

I couldn't even tell you because I don't remember specifics...but definitely somewhere in the midwest.

PhuturePriest

I couldn't even tell you because I don't remember specifics...but definitely somewhere in the midwest.

I'll assume it wasn't Conception Seminary in Conception, Missouri? That's a very solid seminary with really wonderful people and faculty.

HisChildForever

I'll assume it wasn't Conception Seminary in Conception, Missouri? That's a very solid seminary with really wonderful people and faculty.

Nooo I'm thinking Illinois or Wisconsin. 

Nooo I'm thinking Illinois or Wisconsin. 

It's probably not St. Mary of the Lake, considering that a good percentage of the seminarians are Polish, whom I doubt approve same-sex marrriage. 

A story that was relayed to me: someone I went to high school with went on to the college seminary.  One Saturday night he went to a bar with a classmate and confessed he was homosexual.  The following Monday he was told to leave.  This was in the early 1980s.  So I guess it depends on whether one is "caught" by the right people or not....

It's probably not St. Mary of the Lake, considering that a good percentage of the seminarians are Polish, whom I doubt approve same-sex marrriage. 

A story that was relayed to me: someone I went to high school with went on to the college seminary.  One Saturday night he went to a bar with a classmate and confessed he was homosexual.  The following Monday he was told to leave.  This was in the early 1980s.  So I guess it depends on whether one is "caught" by the right people or not....

You have great confidence in Poles. I don't quite get it.

You have great confidence in Poles. I don't quite get it.

You need to understand Polish Catholic culture.  The Church in Poland has a reputation of being more conservative than the Vatican itself.  I do not know of any seriously practicing Polish Catholics who approve of same-sex marriage.  Please also note that I live on the NW side of Chicago, which is considered a "little Warsaw" and have several Polish immigrant friends, including an ex-gf (the one that went into the religious community), that have not been co-opted by the suburban American culture (like a good chunk of my extended relatives have). 

Dobra noc, Pan Arfink. 

Edited by Norseman82

LouisvilleFan

That doesn't seem at all obvious to me. The seminary should give you a clear reason if they're asking you to go. :P

Sure, the seminary would give a clear reason to the applicant, but the applicant may not want that clear reason advertised to all his family and friends.

freudianslippers

I know a former seminarian. He said he saw wine consecrated by the gallon (and that would be an exact quote) and he said there were active homosexual seminarians in his seminary. And he told me that it's why he left and became a soldier. What he saw caused him to leave the Church. While I don't expect anyone here to believe me, I do trust this man implicitly. And it's sad because this isn't as isolated as one would think. Has anyone else noticed how many accusations fly nowadays? While I bet some are false, I don't think they all are.

So why do people persist in being members of a Church which appears so corrupt?

Christ had to leave his perfect Church in the hands of imperfect people. Stuff is going to happy when humans are involved. Should we no longer go to school because some teachers abuse kids. Stop playing little league or scouts because there have been bad adults. Corporations are corrupt as is the government. If you don't want to engage with corruption, you'd better find a cave.

Christ had to leave his perfect Church in the hands of imperfect people. Stuff is going to happy when humans are involved. Should we no longer go to school because some teachers abuse kids. Stop playing little league or scouts because there have been bad adults. Corporations are corrupt as is the government. If you don't want to engage with corruption, you'd better find a cave.

I know a former seminarian. He said he saw wine consecrated by the gallon (and that would be an exact quote) and he said there were active homosexual seminarians in his seminary. And he told me that it's why he left and became a soldier. What he saw caused him to leave the Church. [...]

So why do people persist in being members of a Church which appears so corrupt?

I'm not surprised that the devil has done what he can to attack Christ's Church.  I know firsthand that dealing with corruption in the Church is demoralizing and traumatic, but leaving is not the answer.  It's exactly what the devil wants.

Edited by NotreDame