An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veils......

maximillion

I've read somewhere that some sisters used to cut up plastic jugs or bleach bottles to help form their veils...any truth to this?

Yup! Truth! Now there is a habit making company that makes this plastic piece specifically for religious Sisters who wear this type of cap as a base for their veil. But in the past, yes, they'd cut plastic jugs to make this piece. (And who knows? Maybe some still do.)

That's an interesting way to be resourceful but I hope that the edges don't end up jagged or sharp.  Some plastic is harmful when it is cut.  I've actually accidentally cut myself trying to cut up a milk jug because one of the pieces was sharp.  I think using a piece specifically made for veils is a safer option.

Wires, coat hangars, bits of plastic container.....so glad I asked!!!!!

All that elegance covering so much. LOL

Yes, and how infuriating it is when they keep on saying 

- you'll find out when you enter......so, you enter.

Then it's 

- you'll find out when you're clothed......so you are clothed.

Then it's 

- you'll find out when you have made vows.....

Then it was 

- you'll find out when you're fully professed.

Then it was

- you'll only find that out when you're in heaven!

My grandma is so freaked out by the way the veil covers the ears. "HOW can that be good for your ears????!" "Doesn't that make their heads hurt?!" "Can they hear?!"

I might regret it later, but this is one of my secret hopes. My ears are very sensitive (as long as no one is giving me directions) and I carry earplugs in my purse "just in case..." I rarely feel like I MUST wear earplugs, but its nice to know they're there. It will be mildly terrifying to not be able to wear earplugs whenever I might want them in a Monastery, so hopefully the veils will act as a shield.

Then again, the veil didn't help St. Therese much with the nun that made the painfully aggravating sound... :cry:

Sometimes people sit behind me in church and chew gum... :stars: Some people complain about babies -- let the baby scream, my problem is the gum. I get so resentful about going to church on a weekend, but I always try to grab an end seat so at least I'll feel like I can leave if I absolutely must, though I've only felt like I needed to do this once.

Edited by SilentJoy

That's an interesting way to be resourceful but I hope that the edges don't end up jagged or sharp. Some plastic is harmful when it is cut. I've actually accidentally cut myself trying to cut up a milk jug because one of the pieces was sharp. I think using a piece specifically made for veils is a safer option.

Well, it fits inside a flap in the cap, so all the edges are covered by cloth, so that would help with any "jaggedness." Plus that part sits on top of the head, so it's not in a place where the edges would really be able to hurt the Sister much. I can see using a piece of cut jug would be tricky, though, so it's nice to have a company make a part specifically for that purpose, for lots of reasons!

brandelynmarie

In theory, I am fond of a simple veil with pins... :nun:

:hehe: <-----I'm laughing at myself because I'm only going by theory & not experience!

Edited by brandelynmarie

I was once asked by a five year old if I had ears........

She seemed very shocked to discover the cap and veil were not an intrinsic part of me.

Maximillion that is too cute!

I know one community of sisters that have the traditional veil with the square bit on top uses a plastic mesh you can get from the craft store.The kind you would weave yarn into to make those silly little bookmarks, 

Its funny hearing the different ways sisters reuse stuff. SrMC I could see where clorox bottles would be nice and stiff!

In synchronized swimming we use the needlepoint stuff but it gets rather heavy with all the beads we put on it.  and to keep the hair in place they use knox jello and a ton of bobbypins!

So glad that is not the case for sisters and or nuns even though I'm sure some veils may need a bunch of bobbypins.

Edit note: I don't know why its coming out all bold like that and tried to fix it. ahh!

Edited by JessicaKoch

I was once asked by a five year old if I had ears........

She seemed very shocked to discover the cap and veil were not an intrinsic part of me.

:rotfl:

My friend went to Catholic school a generation ago and she thought that women had to cut off their breasts to be a nun 'cause her teachers were kind of shapeless.