An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veils......

maximillion

brandelynmarie

We use the needlepoint mesh, too. In fact, I prefer it!

Is it lighter & does it breathe better? Or is it easier to shape?

AveMariaPurissima

In my community, the veils of the novices and professed were rectangles of fabric that were attached to a stiff, cardboard-y headband-like thing.  Then there were little straps with snaps that attached to the...I'm not sure exactly what you call it in English...the little white cloth cap they wore under the veil.  I'm not 100% sure how it all worked...I didn't get that far!  The postulant veils were much simpler: just a half-circle of fabric with two strings on either side to tie it behind the head.  Also used a safety pin underneath to keep it laying properly. 

Is it lighter & does it breathe better? Or is it easier to shape?

I think the sisters said that it is lighter and more comfortable. Which makes sense.

I was once asked by a five year old if I had ears........

She seemed very shocked to discover the cap and veil were not an intrinsic part of me.

The abbess at the Poor Clare Colettine monastery in Wales was asked a similar question by a fascinated child who had come to the parlour on a class visit. "Do you have hair under there?"

Mother Abbess, gravely: "No, feathers."

Thank you Beatitude :) Amazing devotion to wear this kind of veil all the time.This old nun habits look more prim and by my opinion show much more devotion to God.

For some time i have been sad because if i become nun i will lose my long hair.But after praying , God show me that is has been very vain from me.It is just hair and this should be smallest problems in my Vocation.I'm embarest now because of my vanity in that time.

Thank you Beatitude :) Amazing devotion to wear this kind of veil all the time.This old nun habits look more prim and by my opinion show much more devotion to God.

For some time i have been sad because if i become nun i will lose my long hair.But after praying , God show me that is has been very vain from me.It is just hair and this should be smallest problems in my Vocation.I'm embarest now because of my vanity in that time.

Don't be embarrassed! St. Therese cried about losing her hair too; it was so beautiful. Some of her Sisters preserved the cut locks in an arrangement.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Carla, the 1st time I had my hair cut, I admit it, I cried a little! But it is such a privilege to wear the habit and the veil! Offering your hair to Jesus is a more beautiful thing!

I cried -- but not because I thought my hair was so beautiful but because my haircut was so so ugly. tee hee. the memory makes me smile!

That is one of the things I'm not going to have a problem with (I don't think)...I ended up wearing hats to work all last summer 'cause I decided to get a buzz-cut. I thought it would be sooo easy to clean and take care off and I'd look so cool...that was NOT a success. I just looked like a prison inmate, and there was nothing I could do about a cowlick with hair that short. If I was wearing a veil, it'd be fun to buzz my head again.

The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in the UK don't cut their hair, from what I'm told.  I was told they keep it braided or tied up underneath their veil.  I'm sure there are other orders that do this as well.

freedomreigns

I actually did have a bit of a hard time adjusting to having my ears covered.  I kept inadvertently asking, "What's that?" at dinner when I could not make out the conversation!  Needless to say I adjusted after a time, and also learned to refrain from asking in such a unrefined fashion!