An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Spiritual Director Is Amazing

PhuturePriest

So. can you tell us more about your personal choice to become a priest? I was discerning a religious vocation for some time, but I dunno.. Tell us more. 

Thanks for the advice, guys! He is spiritually well grounded. He taught me when I was confirmed, and I'm a sponsor for my friend now. 

PhuturePriest

So. can you tell us more about your personal choice to become a priest? I was discerning a religious vocation for some time, but I dunno.. Tell us more. 

Gladly! But what do you mean exactly? Like, what do you want to know specifically?

However, I must clarify that this isn't me choosing to become a priest. As they reiterate at the seminary time and time again, going to the seminary isn't accepting a call to the priesthood, it's accepting a call to the seminary.

As a trained S.D., I can tell you that I NEVER charge any of my directees.  I have a basket in my study where, if they wish, they can leave money or canned goods for our local parish.  I know that's not aways the case, but God blessed me by giving me the means to live comfortably without asking my directees for money.  My being present to them is a ministry I take very seriously, and I'm sad to think of the day when I'll have to give it up.

Sister Marie

This is all nice and good, but again, I'm the first person I know of that my spiritual director has ever advised, and he's fantastic. I may have gotten lucky, but I think if you know someone well enough and know they won't steer you the wrong way, then go for it. If you don't know them that well, then it's pretty risky. I don't think we should make black and white statements, though.

Back to be a pain in another thread!  I don't feel too badly about being a pain to you FP because I know you know why I am!

How do you know that he's really a fantastic spiritual director other than the fact that he is giving you a letter of recommendation, a deal on a car, and a cassock?  That doesn't sound like spiritual direction to me - it sounds like a friend or a mentor helping a guy out.

As the fruit of this direction, are you growing closer to Christ and deeper in the spiritual life or are you getting excited about the possibility of  being a priest and like being able to talk about that with this priest?  There's nothing wrong with the latter except that, again, it isn't really spiritual direction.   Have you been challenged?  Have you brought up the hard things that have happened in your life?  If the answer to either of those is "no" I would say your opinion on your "spiritual director" is at the best, premature.  

Now maybe those things have happened and you just neglected to tell us about that in between the car and the cassock and maybe I'm wrong... but I'm only going by what you wrote.

PhuturePriest

Back to be a pain in another thread!  I don't feel too badly about being a pain to you FP because I know you know why I am!

How do you know that he's really a fantastic spiritual director other than the fact that he is giving you a letter of recommendation, a deal on a car, and a cassock?  That doesn't sound like spiritual direction to me - it sounds like a friend or a mentor helping a guy out.

As the fruit of this direction, are you growing closer to Christ and deeper in the spiritual life or are you getting excited about the possibility of  being a priest and like being able to talk about that with this priest?  There's nothing wrong with the latter except that, again, it isn't really spiritual direction.   Have you been challenged?  Have you brought up the hard things that have happened in your life?  If the answer to either of those is "no" I would say your opinion on your "spiritual director" is at the best, premature.  

Now maybe those things have happened and you just neglected to tell us about that in between the car and the cassock and maybe I'm wrong... but I'm only going by what you wrote.

Always playing the devil's advocate. ;)

Of course we talk about spiritual direction and he gives me advice. This is simply a thread about what happened specifically last Wednesday, not a recap of all the things he's ever said to me. :P

Sister Marie

Always playing the devil's advocate. ;)

Of course we talk about spiritual direction and he gives me advice. This is simply a thread about what happened specifically last Wednesday, not a recap of all the things he's ever said to me. :P

Always is right... Advice isn't spiritual direction either... Sorry!! Had to say it!! :). I mean he sounds like a nice guy and he's helpful to you but that's not the same as actual spiritual direction.

PhuturePriest

Always is right... Advice isn't spiritual direction either... Sorry!! Had to say it!! :). I mean he sounds like a nice guy and he's helpful to you but that's not the same as actual spiritual direction.

He directs me in my spiritual life. He helps me with my spiritual and prayer life.

Glad to hear you've found someone who is helpful to you, FP.  :)

I've gotten settled in with an SD over the last several months and have been very grateful.

No sports cars though.  Can't have everything.

AveMariaPurissima

Honest question: what is spiritual direction, then?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

A good Spiritual Director is better than a car. A good Spiritual who can help you get a car is awesome. 

A good Spiritual Director is better than a car. A good Spiritual who can help you get a car is amesome. 

This is not just a car, but a Mustang. Do I have grounds for presuming it is red, or did I just make that part up?

PhuturePriest

This is not just a car, but a Mustang. Do I have grounds for presuming it is red, or did I just make that part up?

It's way better than red. It's bright yellow with freaking awesome black stripes. The interior is absolutely amazing, too. The seats are leather and black and yellow.

It's way better than red. It's bright yellow with freaking amesome black stripes. The interior is absolutely amazing, too. The seats are leather and black and yellow.

I agree that this is way better than red.