An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Spiritual Director Is Amazing

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Haha!  For me, I'm afraid that they're going to ask "are you...okay?" and I'll be like "ummmm".  Or if they don't say anything, I'll be thinking "Lord, I adore Thee, I prais...huh footsteps?  Ah do they think this looks weird?  Do I look like I'm unconscious?  Am I making it awkward...ahhhh stop being so self-focused and get back to adoring!"

I always have the fear that someone is going to run up to me and ask me if I'm dead. :P

how important is spiritual direction for laypeople? most good spiritual directors are taken up by (wealthy) laypople who can afford $90 per hour for SD.

most other SD's are 'trained SDs' with neo-pagan new agey ideas after a 3 week distance learning course. they do not read the documents of the magisterium. they are barely catholic.

Professional SD generally is a money making sham.

Whoa...... I'm a "professional SD" and it's not a money-making sham.  I charge NOTHING, that's right NOTHING!!!!!  My undergrad and grad school (B.A ,M.A.P.T, D.MIN.) were at Roman Catholic universities (all in theology) as was my 3year S.D. training (plus peer review).  Please don't dump all SD's into one pile!

I must admit, I may be speaking from limited experience, but here in the UK I've only ever heard of people going to priests for spiritual direction.

I've only gone to priests/religious for free spiritual direction and there's nothing that would induce me to change.  That said, some hypothetical questions that I didn't find on the website linked above:

CAN SD ever be legitimately charged by a lay person?  Obviously a religious couldn't; could a secular priest charge for SD?  Are there instances in which they could ask for a voluntary donation like they do for offering Mass for a particular intention?

Or is charging for SD generally an automatic no-no in all circumstances?

I've never been asked to pay for spiritual direction, but have at times made a donation for it. I found it hard to find priests with the time or on the same wave length as me. So my first SD was a married catholic woman and the second was a catholic religious sister. Both helped in a way which I think was helpful for me to move towards my sense of vocation. The first put me in contact with the second. I'm speaking to two different priests now though, it sort of being necessary as I'm considering religious priesthood I guess. But I think my first two SD's helped loads.

PhuturePriest

I've never been asked to pay for spiritual direction, but have at times made a donation for it. I found it hard to find priests with the time or on the same wave length as me. So my first SD was a married catholic woman and the second was a catholic religious sister. Both helped in a way which I think was helpful for me to move towards my sense of vocation. The first put me in contact with the second. I'm speaking to two different priests now though, it sort of being necessary as I'm considering religious priesthood I guess. But I think my first two SD's helped loads.

It is truly an historic moment to see another man on Vocation Station! Welcome aboard!

Please don't leave. :P

It is truly an historic moment to see another man on Vocation Station!

hi.

Edited by chrysostom

It is truly an historic moment to see another man on Vocation Station! Welcome aboard!

Please don't leave. :P

Keep sounding desperate like that and he will ;)

Still, Benedictus, you're not that new here are you?

Futurepriest  - Thanks! I'm sure I'll be around here for a little while yet :)

Chrysostom - Hello! :smile4:

Anselm -No, not that new now really. But I guess I haven't really posted that much (or anything that noteworthy)

It is up to to the individual SD to decide to charge or not charge.  I consider my being a SD my ministry.  As I've said before, I do keep a basket by the door if one wishes to bring a can of food for the food pantry, but that's totally optional.

I've only gone to priests/religious for free spiritual direction and there's nothing that would induce me to change.  That said, some hypothetical questions that I didn't find on the website linked above:

CAN SD ever be legitimately charged by a lay person?  Obviously a religious couldn't; could a secular priest charge for SD?  Are there instances in which they could ask for a voluntary donation like they do for offering Mass for a particular intention?

Or is charging for SD generally an automatic no-no in all circumstances?

I've visited with a SD who was a religious and she asked for a regular donation.

I ultimately discerned that we weren't a match but it wasn't because of the money involved.  (She WAS a match for a good friend of mine who saw her fruitfully for many years, so I'm not criticizing, we just weren't a match for each other.  God made a lot of us for a reason.)

Of course since she was a sister the money went to her community -- but this was a good chunk of her ministry, and her community they need to buy groceries and pay the electric bill, and retired sisters to support, and all that costs money.  So if they're going to make so much of the sister's time available for regular spiritual direction rather than other activities, there has to be some money coming in to make that a feasible option for the community.

I would expect that for most people (not all, but most!) who do not ask for any money from their directees, this is probably a small part of what they do.  The "day job" is to be a parish priest, or teach, or whatever, and then on the side they can take on a couple directees.  Nothing wrong with that, that's great.

But if we want people who are gifted and trained in such areas to have the time available to direct many people, then we need to financially support them somehow.

(And for those of us who are in a position to be more generous, we should do so in order to subsidize people who are really not in a situation to be able to pay.)

For most SDs, I'd wager it's less about "I am providing a valuable service and am good at it and DESERVE PAYMENT" and more that they still need to eat.  And groceries?  They cost money.