An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breast Feeding At Mass

Gabriela

There's a picture of Pope Francis washing a woman's feet, and the women is breastfeeding her baby without a cover on. Her breast is completely exposed. He didn't seem to have a problem with it. If there's nothing wrong with toddlers and younger children eating Cheerios at Mass, then there's nothing wrong with feeding a hungry baby during Mass, cover or no cover.

I think there's a problem with children eating at Mass, in the pews, during Mass. But I am clearly in the minority, so...

Pope Francis is a very holy man. Most men aren't. I just wonder if knowing there's a breast exposed near them would distract them from what they're supposed to be doing at Mass. If not: No problem.

There's a difference between art and real live humans, though. At least, I think we don't perceive these the same.

I think there's a problem with children eating at Mass, in the pews, during Mass. But I am clearly in the minority, so...

Pope Francis is a very holy man. Most men aren't. I just wonder if knowing there's a breast exposed near them would distract them from what they're supposed to be doing at Mass. If not: No problem.

But if it is an infant, would you deny it food?

Why would feeding a baby distract anyone unless the baby was making a fuss?

Archaeology cat

“I have calmed and quieted my soul like a child quieted at its mother’s breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul.” That’s from Psalm 131. It’s not hard in moments like this to see breastfeeding as a sacred moment of clinging and holding, unity and intimacy, one of which I am privileged to be a part.

Read the whole post: https://thejesuitpost.org/2014/02/the-beauty-of-breastfeeding/ Edited by Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

I've gone up to a priest whilst breastfeeding, and he didn't know what I was doing (or he just didn't care). If you have no problem with a baby having a bottle or pacifier in. Mass, you should have no problem with a baby breastfeeding in. Mass, since God designed my breasts to nourish and comfort my baby.

PhuturePriest

Will there be a pervert or two staring at you? Sometimes, probably. But in that case, no girl should ever wear a swimsuit, skirt, or anything that exposes any skin whatsoever. If perverts are going to sexualize bags of fat that feed children, there's nothing they're not going to sexualize, and you can't and shouldn't try to avoid it.

Archaeology cat

It's often more obvious what you're doing when you use a cover. I'd end up unintentionally flashing someone if I used a cover, because Leo hates being covered.

But if it is an infant, would you deny it food?

Why would feeding a baby distract anyone unless the baby was making a fuss?

Some people are easily distracted.

It's not about denying the baby food. It's about where the baby should be fed. I don't think anyone would argue you just shouldn't feed the kid. I'm wondering if anyone feels it'd be better if the child were fed in the narthex/cry room/wherever.

PhuturePriest

It's often more obvious what you're doing when you use a cover. I'd end up unintentionally flashing someone if I used a cover, because Leo hates being covered.

My sister breastfeeds her baby, and unless I'm talking to her and looking at her, I never even notice, even if I'm sitting right next to her.

PhuturePriest

It's not about denying the baby food. It's about where the baby should be fed. I don't think anyone would argue you just shouldn't feed the kid. I'm wondering if anyone feels it'd be better if the child were fed in the narthex/cry room/wherever.

Short answer: no.

Will there be a pervert or two staring at you? Sometimes, probably. But in that case, no girl should ever wear a swimsuit, skirt, or anything that exposes any skin whatsoever. If perverts are going to sexualize bags of fat that feed children, there's nothing they're not going to sexualize, and you can't and shouldn't try to avoid it.

One doesn't have to be a pervert to be distracted by exposed breasts, or even the knowledge that there's an exposed breast under a cover. And I doubt you'd suggest we should start wearing swimsuits, (short?) skirts, or much-skin-exposing clothing at Mass.

Context, FP: It matters.

PhuturePriest

If some people are easily distracted/are perverts, that's their issue, not the mother's or the child's. There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding at Mass, even in the pew, and even with no cover on.

As an aside, my sister says in the past year I've become an ardent and outspoken lactavist. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

One doesn't have to be a pervert to be distracted by exposed breasts, or even the knowledge that there's an exposed breast under a cover. And I doubt you'd suggest we should start wearing swimsuits, (short?) skirts, or much-skin-exposing clothing at Mass.

Context, FP: It matters.

When did I ever say we should wear swimming suits to Mass? No, we shouldn't. But I also think we shouldn't wear jeans to Mass, either, and they're completely modest.

Again: if exposed breasts distract you, then that's unfortunately your issue. You can't expect a mother to get up and leave the church and miss parts of the Mass simply because some people have issues paying attention.

PhuturePriest

We need more male lactivists, FP. :)

I'm proud to be one! :) The only issue is people assume I'm a lactavist because I want to see women's breasts, but oh well. :P