An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Washes Feet And Breaks Liturgical Law

mortify ii

Being that he is the supreme and sovereign Pontiff, he can choose do do as he wishes. I wish, as well, that he would simply change the law if he doesn't feel it adequately serves the purpose it was created.

The Pope can't do as he wishes, he too is bound to the law of the Church. If he doesn't like it, he can change it. 

I dunno, if Pope Francis' greatest sin is ticking off conservative taddy types by washing the feet of women in violation of the rubrics of the Missale Romanum, I guess I'll just have to live with it. He hasn't dug up any previous popes to accuse them of heresy and throw their bones into the Tiber. Or fathered children while under the vow of celibacy. Or started a Crusade in order to obtain money. And popes who did that were still legit popes who people were still bound to obey in all matters of faith and morals, despite their horrible sinful example.

Just as an aside, sinfulness would not affect the legitimacy of a Pope, heresy would however. 

Just as an aside, sinfulness would not affect the legitimacy of a Pope, heresy would however. 

Last I checked, breaking a rubric is not a heresy. But I'm sure you knew that.

Last I checked, breaking a rubric is not a heresy. But I'm sure you knew that.

Agreed, as I said I just mentioned it as an aside. No one is questioning the legitimacy of Pope Francis because he breaks liturgical laws. 

LaPetiteSoeur

In the grand scheme of things, though, washing the feet of women which as per the custom is completely accepted by the church is not a huge deal. It's not like the Pope went and co-celebrated Mass with a woman priest or something, which is not any custom in any part of the Catholic world. 

In the grand scheme of things, though, washing the feet of women which as per the custom is completely accepted by the church is not a huge deal. It's not like the Pope went and co-celebrated Mass with a woman priest or something, which is not any custom in any part of the Catholic world. 

Customs nowadays shift by the decade

Agreed, as I said I just mentioned it as an aside. No one is questioning the legitimacy of Pope Francis because he breaks liturgical laws. 

Returning back to your OP then, I guess the answer is very simple: yes, he is not following the rubrics. Concerning labels of liberal or conservative, they're just labels, and I don't think they rightly apply to any particular human beings and certainly not Pope Francis. People who want to accuse him of being liberal or conservative while writing a blog are stirring up controversy because it's the common coin of internet discourse these days, and controversy literally pays their bills.

So many other important things to worry about.

I'm a woman, and disabled. Imagine how I felt knowing that he humbled himself like this. I'd have let him wash my feet.

So many other important things to worry about.

I'm a woman, and disabled. Imagine how I felt knowing that he humbled himself like this. I'd have let him wash my feet.

How would you feel if a priest stopped mass, walked over to you, and asked you to complete the words of consecration? Wouldn't that be a beautiful gesture and sign of humility and respect? I know it sounds crazy but in these times is it really impossible? Rules are there for a reason, if the Pope feels they are impractical then just change them. Breaking liturgical rules sends the wrong message. 

Fidei Defensor

How would you feel if a priest stopped mass, walked over to you, and asked you to complete the words of consecration? Wouldn't that be a beautiful gesture and sign of humility and respect? I know it sounds crazy but in these times is it really impossible? Rules are there for a reason, if the Pope feels they are impractical then just change them. Breaking liturgical rules sends the wrong message. 

Apples and oranges.

If you think those two things are comparable, you aren't worth my time to debate.

Fidei Defensor

Lets pray for Pope Francis.

Lord Jesus Christ,

We ask you abundant blessings on our spiritual leader, Pope Francis. Send your Holy Spirit upon him that he may be a brother to all of his faithful and a true servant to Almighty God.  Strengthen him daily to complete the immense duties of the Church with grace and compassion.  Allow him to be a humble leader who strives to bring peace, justice and truth into our world. Above all, bestow upon our Holy Father Your gifts of faith, hope and love so that he unceasingly proclaims Your Holy Name

Mother Mary and all the Holy angels and saints of God, we ask you to guide Pope Francis this day and always.  Amen