An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Washes Feet And Breaks Liturgical Law

mortify ii

Fidei Defensor

Wonder why only 12 are chosen... hmm... what symbolism could it be referring to?

I wonder why God even bothered making women. They're so useless.

You know, It's disappointing how everything is turned into a sexist issue. Jesus washed the feet of twelve apostles, just follow his example, why do we always have to be politically correct about everything? These nonsensical attempts to appease every group has virtually demolished our religion and made any authentic expression of Catholicism not possible. We used to pray for the conversion of Jews, heretics, schismatics, and pagans on Good Friday, and what happened? We cut the whole prayer because one of the groups we prayed for were offended by it. We need authenticity more than anything these days. 

Basilisa Marie

You know, It's disappointing how everything is turned into a sexist issue. Jesus washed the feet of twelve apostles, just follow his example, why do we always have to be politically correct about everything? These nonsensical attempts to appease every group has virtually demolished our religion and made any authentic expression of Catholicism not possible. We used to pray for the conversion of Jews, heretics, schismatics, and pagans on Good Friday, and what happened? We cut the whole prayer because one of the groups we prayed for were offended by it. We need authenticity more than anything these days. 

[edit: Unnecessary snark, apologies. ] The problem isn't that you have a problem with evolution. The problem is that you're claiming some of us are bad Catholics because we don't have identical beliefs on an issue with a permissible diversity of answers. 

I went to Good Friday, and at my church we prayed for the Jews, for people who don't believe in Christ, for people who don't believe in God, and others.  I feel like that encompasses Jews, heretics, schismatics, and pagans. Plus more people! We changed the wording because "pernicious Jews" kind of encourages Antisemitism. And because we don't actually place sole blame for Jesus' death on the Jews. At least, we don't anymore. 

We have to be politically correct about some stuff because it's empathy, and acknowledging that white dudes aren't the center of the universe, even though we've been operating as though they are for at least a few hundred years. 

The theme I'm getting from your responses in this thread is that you feel that a lot of people aren't being Catholic enough, in a lot of ways. Is that an accurate assessment? 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Peace Basilisa, 

I went to Good Friday, and at my church we prayed for the Jews, for people who don't believe in Christ, for people who don't believe in God, and others.  I feel like that encompasses Jews, heretics, schismatics, and pagans. Plus more people! We changed the wording because "pernicious Jews" kind of encourages Antisemitism. And because we don't actually place sole blame for Jesus' death on the Jews. At least, we don't anymore. 

Nonsense Basilisa, Pope Pius XII explained "perfidi" means unbelieving, it's not pejorative. That alone should have sufficed, but John XXIII went further and removed "perfidi" to appease those who were troubled by what we did in our own Churches. But of course, it was not merely perfidi that was offensive, but the fact that we prayed for the conversion of Jews, schismatics, heretics, etc. and was eventually dropped. Many of us will remember the damage done to our "dialogue" with Jewish groups when Pope Benedict's Motu Proprio liberated the use for the Latin Mass and therefore the Good Friday prayer which contains the prayer for conversion. Even though the version of the prayer wasw without "perfidi" the outcry was so great Pope Benedict made further amendments to the prayer. The point is some people are offended we are praying for their conversion, and as an ecumenical gesture to further dialogue we amend our prayers. Interestingly enough, as far as I am aware the Jews did not have to amend their racial prayers, such as when they thank God for not making them be born a gentile:

Baruch atah Hashem Elokenu melech haolam, shelo asani goy … Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, who did not make me a Gentile.

Quite frankly, if some Jews believe being a Gentile is so terrible that they thank God for not making them be born one, then good for them! Everyone should be able to pray according to their own tradition. 

Why feminism poisons everything... even Atheists are ticked off

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxAljFlb-c[/youtube]

Women aren't supposed to do anything. They ruin everything I HATE YOU ALL

(Happy Easter)

Edited by Selah

Semper Catholic

Lol I love the attempted outrage reversal here.

It's washing feet. Seriously that's it. They do it everyday at massage places. I think the Pope is fine.

maximillion

My whole life I have struggled with being told, reading, and having constantly shoved in front of me that 'wherever it/we (a document, usually) say 'men' we are using this generically to indicate all humans, including women'

Ha ha  that's a laughy one!

Just sayin'.

You telling me that all of a sudden this doesn't apply?

Also, I seem to remember Jesus broke a few liturgical laws in His time too.

Why feminism poisons everything... even Atheists are ticked off

Everything with the kids these days has to come down to some sort of identity politics and it will literally be the death of many of us.

If the persons referred to consider something to be perjoritive, then it is. Words that I was raised to use referring to African Americans have now been deemed to be degrading. I'm capable of evolving.

If Jews don't want to be called unbelieving, I don't have a problem with it. It's not being politically correct, it's called being polite.

Stop being so argumentative guys. Not everything is an attack against your own (yes you) obviously infallible understanding. 

It's Easter guys.. EASTER!! The most important day of ever. The day when Jesus opened his eyes and breath sprung back into his lungs and Peter was like WHAT ON EARTH!?!

And now we're all Catholic! And if you still think you're right, why not keep it to yourself cause we all know the Church wins in the end.

Easter!!

Resurrection_(24).jpg