An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christians Being Persecuted/discriminated Against In The Usa

cartermia

Discrimation/Persecution Against Christians in the USA  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edit: sorry that may have come off more aggressive than what I meant. Sorry!!! :love:

It's not any different than any other post of yours that I've read.  And "aggressive" wouldn't be the word I'd use either.

Lilllabettt

I dont want to be apart of the group if it means I have to be like you. 
Prayers and Love from the "others".

lol.

Yes, you, a member of the cultural majority, are a victim of otherization.

the irony is so delicious I can barely stand it. 

why do all the black kids sit together in the cafeteria CrossCuT? 
Shame on them. They should stop "othering" the majority!

you can't know what its like to be a faithful Catholic today anymore than I can know what its like to be black.

I try not to share with black folk what I "know" about whether they have it hard.

Cuz self-awareness, and stuff.

Wtfx10000

Is this relevant? The entire premise of the book is dumb. I understand the point but they're not thinking about it in a product way. For example, if all the black kids sit together at lunch, doesn't that also mean that all the white kids are also sitting together at lunch? So, who is doing the self segregating?

And are you comparing your experiences at work to racism? 

PhuturePriest

what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?x10000

Is this relevant? The entire premise of the book is dumb. I understand the point but they're not thinking about it in a product way. For example, if all the black kids sit together at lunch, doesn't that also mean that all the white kids are also sitting together at lunch? So, who is doing the self segregating?

And are you comparing your experiences at work to racism? 

You didn't even read the overview of the book.

It states that all the white kids sit together. It calls that self-segregating as well. You really should read things before jumping to conclusions.

I read the description. And thats the point. She is saying that the black people are othering others. They are all othering others. Lets not other anymore. Its not nice

It also talks about who white people are afraid of saying racist things for fear of being called racist. like what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?

Edited by CrossCuT

Not sure all this is helping the OP. 

So.. Christians.. I think Catherine is moving in the right direction. You're going to be able to make a good argument through comparative arguments dealing with soft cultural issues. It also depends on the group.

For example, I was watching Al Jazeera on Easter and the news reporter made a rather snide comment about Catholics celebrating the Easter. The following story was on the Eastern Orthodox church's Easter celebration and the reporter charmingly described it as a beautiful cultural celebration.

Though I think you may have to soften your thesis a bit from persecution to discrimination.. 

gl :)

Edited by AugustineA

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

There was this very famous priest in italy whom started the itallian renewal within church circles and coverted many and saved many a lost sheep and is a saint ( forgot his name). His garments for holy mass kept going missing just about every mass for 2 years in a row and he kept celebrating holy mass and eventually the two people that where doing this admitted to it. My point is the church actually recognises such an act as persecution and not just physical attacks on the persons body and death. Such persecution is a form of direct oppression of the personage, he is a priest and needs his garments, not like someone wanting candy and not getting it, and not like some random telling you your a "blah" and not even knowing your a christian with or without a crucifix around the neck, this is not particularly persecution in my opinion. :) Just my thoughts.

All glory to GOD.

Lilllabettt

I read the description. And thats the point. She is saying that the black people are othering others. They are all othering others. Lets not other anymore. Its not nice

It also talks about who white people are afraid of saying racist things for fear of being called racist. like what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?

lololololol

It just happens to be a seminal work in race studies.

Deeply surprised that someone with your understanding of functional prejudice hasn't read it (that is sarcasm my dear)

My point is that you, a majority member, accusing a minority person of "othering" you has about as much legitimacy as a white person accusing a black person of "othering" white people. Which is none.

Let us get a grip upon ourselves.

My point is that you, a majority member, accusing a minority person of "othering" you has about as much legitimacy as a white person accusing a black person of "othering" white people. Which is none.

YES!!!!!!!! And that also goes for the Christian majority accusing a homosexual minority as "othering" them! 

Edited by CrossCuT

We are all just angry people and we should not be so angry. No one should other the other. :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

othering is ok as long as you don't persecute the others, it is fine for people to choose to chill with mainly or only a particular type of people, like rockers chilling mainly or only with those whom enjoy rock. I don't really like it but it is really neither good or evil as long as i said there not persecuting the others. I choose not to but i don't think it's arguable because it doesn't really matter it is kind of in consequential in the minor leagues, although there are examples in australia of it being consequential in the manner of particular nationalities buying out whole suburbs over many years which seems a bit strange and paranoid to me, so i do understand the whole black and white thing being scary but assimilation is not enforceable, which australian government tried with the indigeonous population. I do believe assimialtion can take time, often a very long time, perhaps never fully attainable 100% in the sense of having so many refugees wanting to see what GOD built.

All glory to GOD.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Though if born in the u.s or australia black, white or brown you should be able to chill with all colored skins, though in the u.s between african american and caucasion the wound runs deep i hear and may take many years to heal, understand that, wounds take time to heal, especially deep ones and there is often a scar remaining even if the wound does heal.

Only Jesus can remove a scar.

All glory to GOD.

Lilllabettt

YES!!!!!!!! And that also goes for the Christian majority accusing a homosexual minority as "othering" them! 

I wasn't accusing the homosexual minority of othering me.

If anything I could accuse the pro-gay marriage/lifestyle majority of othering me.

But in fact I was only calling attention to your ludicrous assertion (below) that I, a member of a cultural minority group, am somehow "othering" you. 

Cuz somehow I "othered" you when I expressed irritation that you, a member of the majority, shamelessly tell minorities that their struggle is, in your words, "kind of annoying."

Is this the twilight zone or does kumbaya sauce have a nasty kick at the end. You tell me.

I dont want to be apart of the group if it means I have to be like you. 

Prayers and Love from the "others".

I just feel like this whole "Im such a good Catholic my life is poo" is kind of annoying. You feel oppressed because you have to treat everyone with love and dignity?