Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

A large parish in Lios Angeles is hosting an evening with an author who has written many articles and books on the case for women to be ordained as Deacons/Priests. She is considered an expert, well respected in her field, but in no way supportive or respectful of what the Church has definitively proclaimed on this subject. I am in shock that no only would this large parish in South Pasadena, CA make this evening available, one of the Sisters who works for the Diocese has sent out announcements to various people (I'm still not sure why I'm on her list for things like this). But the fact that she works for the Diocese obviously indicates that this "evening" is supported by the Archbishop (even if it is not) because, if nothing else, she used her work database to alert those of us who faithfully work with the Church. How can an event like this happen? Are Churches allowed to host someone who has built an entire career on proving the Church's teachings wrong? Can a Diocese promote this? I was really under the impression (actually, I've looked it up - it's not an impression, it is true) that this issue was closed during Saint John Paul II's pontificate. Recently, this was confirmed by our current Holy Father. As a Spiritual Director, I have worked with women whom have struggled with this issue. I have always considered myself blessed because I have never felt the vocation of a priest; but this is personal & beside the point. Can anybody shed any light on how an event like this can happen at a functioning Roman Catholic Church?

I would be very interested in your comments and thoughts!

Rose

Posted

how can an event like that take place at a functioning Catholic parish? my guess would be satan.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

The bishop should intervene and prevent any diocesan support going to the event.

LouisvilleFan
Posted

Who knows... from what I can tell, parishes and schools mostly do what they want unless the bishop specifically calls them on something. Parishes in Louisville have regularly allowed women to preach the homily, or have everyone at Mass join in the prayer of consecration at Mass. If those things are allowed, why not invite a speaker who happens to be critical of Church teaching?

truthfinder
Posted

The Archbishop may not even know this is occurring.  It may be worth attempting emailing or phoning the archbishop's office.  You probably will not receive a response, but it's worth an attempt.  And pose your questions about the event respectfully, and not accusingly, (not saying you would, but sometimes these correspondences leap directly to "you're an evil bishop, and I'll write every dicastery in the Vatican that I can")  

Credo in Deum
Posted

A large parish in Lios Angeles is hosting an evening with an author who has written many articles and books on the case for women to be ordained as Deacons/Priests. She is considered an expert, well respected in her field, but in no way supportive or respectful of what the Church has definitively proclaimed on this subject. I am in shock that no only would this large parish in South Pasadena, CA make this evening available, one of the Sisters who works for the Diocese has sent out announcements to various people (I'm still not sure why I'm on her list for things like this). But the fact that she works for the Diocese obviously indicates that this "evening" is supported by the Archbishop (even if it is not) because, if nothing else, she used her work database to alert those of us who faithfully work with the Church. How can an event like this happen? Are Churches allowed to host someone who has built an entire career on proving the Church's teachings wrong? Can a Diocese promote this? I was really under the impression (actually, I've looked it up - it's not an impression, it is true) that this issue was closed during Saint John Paul II's pontificate. Recently, this was confirmed by our current Holy Father. As a Spiritual Director, I have worked with women whom have struggled with this issue. I have always considered myself blessed because I have never felt the vocation of a priest; but this is personal & beside the point. Can anybody shed any light on how an event like this can happen at a functioning Roman Catholic Church?

I would be very interested in your comments and thoughts!

Rose

What, exactly, has she proven wrong?

Posted (edited)

She claims to have proven that the Church is wrong for not ordaining women. I did not mean or intend to suggest that she has successfully done so. We all know we can take a position and make a case for it being correct or flawed. My main point was that this subject was declared closed; and here in one of the largest dioceses in the US with a huge Church openly disobeying the Magesterium.
Rose

Edited by SNJM
Posted

I used to belong to a Catholic group that sent out an invitation on our mailing list to a retreat.  The theme was "Prophetic Voices in the Church" and was featuring the writings of well-known dissidents.  I wrote to the list explaining what these dissidents believed (includinging women's ordination) and explaining that dissent is not "prophetic".  I was no longer welcome at our group meetings after that.  Some of the people may have agreed with the dissedents, but I think that the main problem that people had with me was that I was making waves.  The consensus seemed to be that everyone ought to keep quiet and let this go on unopposed.

 

Rose, I encourage you to write to your bishop.  It might not make a difference to the outcome but it will make a difference to the sort of person you are.

Basilisa Marie
Posted

Is she speaking about women's ordination? Or is it some other topic? Is she a "big enough" theologian (or armchair theologian) to have merited an investigation by the Vatican into her work? Sadly these things happen at parishes big and small, and size of the parish really makes no difference in how likely these things are to happen. Is this your parish or diocese? Even if they aren't, if I were you I'd write to the bishop and express your concerns.

Posted

I'm in the boundaries, but don't go because of things like this. I go to a completely faithful Roman Catholic Church. (As an example - the first one - at Communion time - "invites" all to come forth and receive Holy Communion. They give a little speech about how "All Are Welcome.")
To answer your question though, Basilisa Marie, she's not anybody I've ever heard of before, but I'm not really that current on dissenters. I'm just shocked a Church would do this! Since time is of the essence, I think I will fax his office.If anybody is in LA & wants more information, please PM me. Thank you, Rose

Basilisa Marie
Posted

I'm in the boundaries, but don't go because of things like this. I go to a completely faithful Roman Catholic Church. (As an example - the first one - at Communion time - "invites" all to come forth and receive Holy Communion. They give a little speech about how "All Are Welcome.")
To answer your question though, Basilisa Marie, she's not anybody I've ever heard of before, but I'm not really that current on dissenters. I'm just shocked a Church would do this! Since time is of the essence, I think I will fax his office.If anybody is in LA & wants more information, please PM me. Thank you, Rose

 

Yeah...while every diocese has its problems, certain dioceses have more of these kinds of problems than others. But even then it really depends on the culture of the area.  Heck, I live outside Portland, OR, and there are a couple of parishes similar to the one you're describing as well as ones that are uber traditional (and everything in between). It's kinda sad that something like this doesn't surprise me anymore, but the fact that it seems to be endorsed by the diocese raises my eyebrow. It's one thing if you've got a rogue parish doing its thing without the bishop knowing. It's another when the troubling person in question is employed by the diocese. 

Posted

The Archdiocese of LA has had issues for years.  This is no surprise. 

Posted

The Archdiocese of LA has had issues for years.  This is no surprise. 

 

I'm in another country and have heard of their reputation.
 

Posted

I'm in another country and have heard of their reputation.
 

 

I did two years at a diocesan school inside that archdiocese...

 

Religion teacher Year #1 - It's not fair to call him a heretic, because he wouldn't even admit he was Catholic.  He said women should be ordained, you could go to confession to anyone - a priest was just more convenient, etc., etc., all in the classroom.

 

Religion teacher Year #2 - A priest who announced on the first day of class that he was a "flaming liberal."  He was gay and lived with his 'partner' down at the beach.  I actually have a link to his obituary which mentions all this in case anyone thinks I'm embellishing - though in all fairness, year #2 was better than #1.

 

(There was no year #3.  After that experience public school was a relief.)

 

I also went to the parish across the street for confession once where absolution consisted of a priest saying "Go, be happy, don't worry, God loves you" - I kid you not.

 

Leadership matters.

 

“The road to hell is paved with the skulls of erring priests, with bishops as their signposts.” St. John Chrysostom attributed

 

“I do not think there are many among Bishops that will be saved, but many more that perish.” St. John Chrysostom, Extract from St. John Chrysostom, Homily III on Acts 1:12

Posted

 He was gay and lived with his 'partner' down at the beach. 

Dont do that. Dont dehumanize people just because you dont agree with their lifestyle. 

Thats not very 'catholic' of you. 

KnightofChrist
Posted

It wasn't very Catholic of the Priest to break his vows.

KnightofChrist
Posted (edited)

I guess now it's now forbidden to take issue with priests who lie and break their promises to God and the Church.

Edited by KnightofChrist
Posted

But the whole point of the priesthood is that he is in persona christe. A man is a man (I think lol) and Jesus was a man. That is all it literally means, it has nothing to do with surpressing women. Men can't become consecrated virgins either because they cannot be brides of Christ; what is the big freaking deal? It's not holding women back. I can't even.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

It is not dehumanizing to expect a priest to be faithful to his vocation and to Church teachings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...