superblue Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 “That this biblical letter,†de Paolis wrote, “killed and continues to kill, unfortunately, at times, not only morally but also physically, is a fact. The Bible ‘is’ not the word of God; the Bible ‘contains’ the word of God.†Obvious, and rather awful heresy. Pope Francis meeting with him is well and good, but concelebrating Mass with him is a bit disconcerting. Okay so if it is disconcerting, then what is the recourse to it. Because we all know the Pope answers to no one. The Church well rather the Vatican does not answer to the secular world, the Vatican and the Pope are self contained self monitoring systems of authority, so if this is really a big of an offense what is the proper way to one address it, and then two to resolve it.
arfink Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 evidently not, just be prepared for those who are foaming at the mouth to spout off with scripture, church teaching, natural law, the list could go on an on. I'll gladly foam up and spout natural law for you, at request even. I have a great fondness for Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas. ^_^
superblue Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 I'll gladly foam up and spout natural law for you, at request even. I have a great fondness for Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas. ^_^ Too funny, I do appreciate the Greeks and Romans for what they brought to the table of history so quote away on them. If St. Thomas Aquinas, or Aristotle can answer on how to address grievances with the Vatican, and the pope on such matters as addressed in this thread and how to resolve such matters, that would be an interesting read.
arfink Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Too funny, I do appreciate the Greeks and Romans for what they brought to the table of history so quote away on them. If St. Thomas Aquinas, or Aristotle can answer on how to address grievances with the Vatican, and the pope on such matters as addressed in this thread and how to resolve such matters, that would be an interesting read. Just offering my services. You know where the Batsignal is now. ;)
PhuturePriest Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Get over yourself, people disagree it happens; more over people amazingly have different opinions, you are trying to debate a topic that is totally open to interpretation it is subjective not objective. I've stated what I believe, you an others stated what you believe, no need to be butt hurt over it. Your super-charged aggression is the sexiest thing I've seen all day.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Okay so if it is disconcerting, then what is the recourse to it. Because we all know the Pope answers to no one. The Church well rather the Vatican does not answer to the secular world, the Vatican and the Pope are self contained self monitoring systems of authority, so if this is really a big of an offense what is the proper way to one address it, and then two to resolve it. The pope may not have a superior here on earth, but he is bound by Tradition just as surely as we are. God help any cleric who forgets their obligation to Sacred Tradition.
cappie Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Two wrongs don't make a right but didn't a certain Pope just canonised promote and favour a certain priest (against the wishe of Cardinal Ratzinger) and put his forward as a model for priests? The postulators of the canonization causes for both John Paul II and John XXIII told journalists at the Vatican that the soon-to-be-saints also had faults that show their “humanity.†Maybe Pope Francis shows his humanity a little too much for some :unsure:
Chiquitunga Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 (edited) I'm sure this is being discussed on blogs/article comments to this, etc. but what if he was imitating St. Francis when he kissed the hands of the priest who was having an affair with a woman, and said "These hands bring me Our Lord" I wonder seriously if he had that in mind. Edited May 28, 2014 by Chiquitunga
PhuturePriest Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Get over yourself, people disagree it happens; more over people amazingly have different opinions, you are trying to debate a topic that is totally open to interpretation it is subjective not objective. I've stated what I believe, you an others stated what you believe, no need to be butt hurt over it.
Chiquitunga Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Kissing his hand was acceptable. He is showing respect for Holy Orders. Concelebrating Mass though, questionable. agree
AugustineA Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Yeah, I heard he is trying to imitate St. Francis.. Still, there are some times where I just keep my head down, go to Mass and pray, particularly when I'm worried about what the Pope is up to lol. At the end of the day it could be a blip on the radar or the end of the world (unlikely?), ultimately I still need to practice my Catholic faith the same way. There are generations and generations of holy Saints, martyrs and doctors to rejuvenate our thinking in nice plain language and action. :)
Cherie Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 I think Simcha Fisher's piece is worth the read: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/why-does-francis-keep-kissing-hands
chrysostom Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 (edited) Have we ever, in the history of the Catholic Church, paid so much attention to what the Pope says or does from one day to the next? Honest question. Edited May 28, 2014 by chrysostom
Gabriela Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Your super-charged aggression is the sexiest thing I've seen all day. Ummm.... What just happened? Two wrongs don't make a right but didn't a certain Pope just canonised promote and favour a certain priest (against the wishe of Cardinal Ratzinger) and put his forward as a model for priests? What are you talking about? Have we ever, in the history of the Catholic Church, paid so much attention to what the Pope says or does from one day to the next? Honest question. Welcome to the Digital Age, where everything is entertainment!
Credo in Deum Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 I think Simcha Fisher's piece is worth the read: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/why-does-francis-keep-kissing-hands I thought of the same story from the life of St. Francis. Francis must have known about the decay in the Church, but he always showed the Church and its people his utmost respect. When someone told him of a priest living openly with a woman and asked him if that meant the Mass was polluted, Francis went to the priest, knelt before him, and kissed his hands -- because those hands had held God. http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=50
TheLordsSouljah Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 “That this biblical letter,†de Paolis wrote, “killed and continues to kill, unfortunately, at times, not only morally but also physically, is a fact. The Bible ‘is’ not the word of God; the Bible ‘contains’ the word of God.†Obvious, and rather awful heresy. Pope Francis meeting with him is well and good, but concelebrating Mass with him is a bit disconcerting. Agreed. kinda like saying the Eucharist isn't Christ but only contains Him.... what on earth.... O_o
Perigrina Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 Have we ever, in the history of the Catholic Church, paid so much attention to what the Pope says or does from one day to the next? Honest question. No, we have never had the communications technology to make it possible before. And it has a serious downside. In some cases, this is even endangering people's Faith. There are a lot of people prepared to take scandal and spread indignation over every little thing the Pope does and it is not good for us to be around people like that. For this past Lent, I gave up "pope stories". I just stayed away from blogs and forums talking about the pope. It really made me aware of how unnecessary (or even counter-productive) these stories are for my spiritual growth. The information that reaches us is usually incomplete and distorted. There is no way we can base good judgments on it. On the face of things, it is not a good thing to concelebrate a Mass with a gay rights activist. That is about all I can say. But there is no reason to even say that much. My job is to grow in Christ through prayer, the Sacraments, and doing the duties of my state of life. Trying to second guess how the pope is doing his job is not part of my job.
Perigrina Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 So we are to no longer respect people who have anything to do wih homosexualiy? There is a difference between "having anything to do with homosexuality" and being a gay rights activist. The activist movement is opposed to Church teaching and often the Church herself. The movement is filled with people who are trying to destroy the Church. It is gravely sinful to be part of this movement. I know this because I used to be one of them myself.
CrossCuT Posted May 28, 2014 Posted May 28, 2014 What are you afraid of happening? The pope will join the sinful movement to destroy the church?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now