An Old School Catholic Message Board

Must Eastern Catholics Accept Ic?

Eliakim

For myself, I'm much more interested in comparisons of practices and how they have come about. And what they imply theologically. I love reading and talking about what practices imply theologically and it's all my spiritual father's fault.

I'll take myself up on the offer. So if you say 'what does a praying person look like' to an Orthodox person, they'll stand upright with their hands upturned, but if you ask a Roman Catholic, they'll kneel with their hands clasped. My friend and I were talking about this and he suggested that it might be this way because the Orthodox faith is more resurrectional and Roman Catholicism is more penitential/focused on the death of Christ. Does anyone have thoughts on this? 

Edited by marigold

I'll take myself up on the offer. So if you say 'what does a praying person look like' to an Orthodox person, they'll stand upright with their hands upturned, but if you ask a Roman Catholic, they'll kneel with their hands clasped. My friend and I were talking about this and he suggested that it might be this way because the Orthodox faith is more resurrectional and Roman Catholicism is more penitential/focused on the death of Christ. Does anyone have thoughts on this? 

Agreed. Though, on the subject of what praying looks like; I saw an interesting interview with an Athonite monk once. He was asked about the idea of praying without ceasing. He smiled and answered he was praying right now. Which, I think, comes from the belief that the Jesus Prayer becomes, not just a prayer of the mind, but of the heart, even when you technically don't appear to be praying.