An Old School Catholic Message Board

Must Eastern Catholics Accept Ic?

Eliakim

Nihil Obstat

From a strictly ecclisial point of view, having two Churches, Orthodox and Catholic, claiming jurisdiction over the same See is neither desirable nor truly sustainable. A true solution must be corporate reunion with the Orthodox, never with a hint of Latinization.

From a strictly ecclisial point of view, having two Churches, Orthodox and Catholic, claiming jurisdiction over the same See is neither desirable nor truly sustainable. A true solution must be corporate reunion with the Orthodox, never with a hint of Latinization.

The Melkite Patriarch has stated that, if a reunion does occur, he will step down and allow the current Antiochian Bishop to preside. I haven't a clue what that would mean for the Syriac and Maronite Patriarchs of Antioch, however.

Nihil Obstat

The Melkite Patriarch has stated that, if a reunion does occur, he will step down and allow the current Antiochian Bishop to preside. I haven't a clue what that would mean for the Syriac and Maronite Patriarchs of Antioch, however.

That is a very noble gesture on his part.

I assume if corporate reunion with the Orthodox were achieved, it would coincide with an ecumenical council that, aside from resolving doctrinal differences, would also be tasked with at least defining principles of governance.

• 2 weeks later...

xD Okay!

Wanna talk about the essence-energies distinction? That's my favorite thing ever about Byzantine Christianity. 

xD Okay!

Wanna talk about the essence-energies distinction? That's my favorite thing ever about Byzantine Christianity.

It's not mine, but if I remember to tell myself 'It's a mystery'*** before I read anything about it, then I can get really interested. This post is a nice readable place to start http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=7156231&postcount=6

For myself, I'm much more interested in comparisons of practices and how they have come about. And what they imply theologically. I love reading and talking about what practices imply theologically and it's all my spiritual father's fault.

*** In the Orthodox sense of something that you come to understand as you are led deeper into it.

That is lovely. St. Palamas is one of my favorite saints. He was such a humble man, and his writings and homilies are wonderful. He also defended Hesychasm, which uses the Jesus Prayer. I started praying it, and it's really amazing. I have a small wrist chotki, but now can't find it. grr. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Lulz My dads side of the family is Melkite and my mom's is Maronite. I asked my mom and she said she believes in the immaculate conception. Explain that, salad. Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Eastern Catholics are allowed to keep their traditions and customs, but are they required to submit to dogmas that the Magisterium pronounces, such as ex-cathedra pronouncements like Immaculate Conception?  Also no more divorce? 

E

Simply put, yes.

Someone needs to write Eastern Christianity for Dummies so that those of us of the West can understand the other lung.

Except that it would cause a schism because no one can agree just what the Eastern tradition on anything actually is. One camp will say one thing and another will say something else.

Also, the Melkites are not the end all and be all of Byzantine-rite Catholicism.