An Old School Catholic Message Board

Must Eastern Catholics Accept Ic?

Eliakim

Selah, I'll bet you 500,000 bitcoins you are wrong ;)   

Wrong about what? Wrong about the fact that Melkites are in communion?

I'll bet you 100,000 bitcoins you're wrong. 

AND I'll bet you a positive review of something in the 90s evangelical subculture, just for you, if you can prove Melkites aren't in communion. 

Wrong that Melkites don't have to believe in the IC...or some of the other things you mentioned: Papal infallibility, purgatory. 

They just don't know they are supposed to or are in denial. 

Council of Florence set the boundaries Eastern Catholics have. 

Mortify II will decide which one of us gets the bitcoins.  :beer:

You're so cute.

No, they aren't in denial. They believe those things, and are in communion.

And, hate to be the wet blanket, but Melkites don't recognize that Council. They recognize the first seven ecumenical councils, and that's it.

Your beef isn't with me, it's with the Pope of Rome and the Melkite Patriarch of Antioch and All the East, and of Jerusalem.

If you are really curious about the history of the Melkites, I can offer some links for you.

Edited by Selah

Well, until I hear some things from my friend, I will not and cannot say more. I just don't know enough about any of this to be of any further help.

That said, I would strongly advise against taking such bets against Selah, I suspect you will probably lose. ;)

I do apologize for my snark, though. I just get irritated when people act as if the Melkites are these poor confused souls. 

chrysostom

I guess underlying this is the issue of the mixed messages it sends to Latin Catholics; if all this is negotiable or moot for Melkite Catholics, why does the Latin Church say to its members that they must believe so many more things to be Catholic at all?  This issue could go both for IC and the dogmas of Trent, or, more recently, Vatican II.  It's confusing, I guess.

No prob Arf, Bitcoin valuation will likely increase anyway in the next few days. 

As a conciliatory gesture I'll even purchase a Latin Mitre for ya, Selah, with the winning cash.  You can write me a thank you card using LATIN letters in ROMAN font  :cool:

If ya send me your highest bishop's email address I'd be happy to clear this up before Mortify and Arf get back to us~ 

E

I guess underlying this is the issue of the mixed messages it sends to Latin Catholics; if all this is negotiable or moot for Melkite Catholics, why does the Latin Church say to its members that they must believe so many more things to be Catholic at all?  This issue could go both for IC and the dogmas of Trent, or, more recently, Vatican II.  It's confusing, I guess.

Because what the Latin Church teaches is binding to those in the Latin Rite, not necessarily to other ones. Melkites are members of the Byzantine Rite, not the Roman Rite. Catholic does not equal Roman. It would be like a Melkite asking a Roman Catholic why they don't venerate St. Palamas, or why they teach Gnomic Will instead of Natural Will. Answer? Roman Catholics have their own councils, theology, practices, and Patriarch (The Pope) and Melkites have their own. 

Melkite doesn't recognize the Council of Trent.

No prob Arf, Bitcoin valuation will likely increase anyway in the next few days. 

As a conciliatory gesture I'll even purchase a Latin Mitre for ya, Selah, with the winning cash.  You can write me a thank you card using LATIN letters in ROMAN font  :cool:

If ya send me your highest bishop's email address I'd be happy to clear this up before Mortify and Arf get back to us~ 

E

Open mouth. Insert foot. 

Not The Philosopher

This topic interests me, but like Arfink, I do not know enough to make an intelligent contribution.

Thus I will sit off to the side, stroking my nonexistent beard, occasionally mumbling, "hmm....interesting."

Edited by Not The Philosopher

http://www.byzcath.org/

https://melkite.org/

http://www.cnewa.org/default.aspx?ID=68&pagetypeID=9&sitecode=HQ&pageno=1

http://www.stpeterslist.com/7796/6-things-you-should-know-about-the-melkite-catholic-church/

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10157b.htm

http://www.pgc-lb.org/home

You really should just read up on it first and learn a bit, before deciding what Melkites should do and believe. Go out and meet some Melkites, talk to them. Don't just decide what they should do. We don't need any more Latinization.

Edited by Selah

chrysostom

Because what the Latin Church teaches is binding to those in the Latin Rite, not necessarily to other ones. Melkites are members of the Byzantine Rite, not the Roman Rite. Catholic does not equal Roman. It would be like a Melkite asking a Roman Catholic why they don't venerate St. Palamas, or why they teach Gnomic Will instead of Natural Will. Answer? Roman Catholics have their own councils, theology, practices, and Patriarch (The Pope) and Melkites have their own. 

Melkite doesn't recognize the Council of Trent.

I understand, but it is so often said that to be Catholic AT ALL (i.e. without regard to rite) you must accept x, hence the confusion (which I don't plan on trying to resolve any time soon)

Edited by chrysostom

I understand, but it is so often said that to be Catholic AT ALL (i.e. without regard to rite) you must accept x, hence the confusion (which I don't plan on trying to resolve any time soon)

It's understandable to a certain degree, because the Roman Rite is the most popular and widespread. So obviously, when a person says Catholic, they think Rome, the Pope, Purgatory, etc.

My goal is to make the Eastern Churches more known and educate people on them.