An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morality And Ethics

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Pax!
Let's say that you were standing in front of two burning houses with 2 persons in one house and 100 persons in the other house. You could only save the persons in one of the houses. What would you have done?
One could argue, a bit mathematicly, that saving 100 person is 50 times as great as just saving 2 persons.
How do you argue?

Nihil Obstat

Saving 100 people from a burning building sounds significantly more dangerous than saving two. Winnie, have you ever dragged 100 people out of a housefire?

Credo in Deum

Pax!
Let's say that you were standing in front of two burning houses with 2 persons in one house and 100 persons in the other house. You could only save the persons in one of the houses. What would you have done?
One could argue, a bit mathematicly, that saving 100 person is 50 times as great as just saving 2 persons.
How do you argue?

I would't argue.  I would simply admit that I probably wouldn't end up saving anyone since I would be frozen in disbelief that both houses were located in the same neighborhood.  I would also be struck in awe at the sheer size of a house that could hold 100 people. 

southern california guy

I agree with Nihil, if you could only drag one at a time then it wouldn't matter which house you would choose.

Edited by southern california guy

Credo in Deum

Plus if you had the time to save 100 people from a burning house, then I'm sure you could find the time to call the fire department to save the two in the other house. 

Nihil Obstat

I mean yeah, Winnie can probably carry seven or eight people at a time, but mere mortals are going to be limited to one, two at most.

Fidei Defensor

I would argue that either is equally moral, given that you are actually able to save anyone.

Credo in Deum

Id call 911

In this hypothetical situation every key on your phone works except for the number 9, short key's have been disabled and the same with voice dial. 

In short you have a Samsung a157.

Edited by Credo in Deum

Nihil Obstat

In this hypothetical situation every key on your phone works except for the number 9, short key's have been disabled and the same with voice dial. 

Also in this hypothetical, these two houses on fire are on top of a 1km tall platform which is inaccessible to literally everyone who might lend extra assistance. And it is surrounded by an EMP field so helicopters cannot attempt a rescue.

PhuturePriest

Also in this hypothetical, these two houses on fire are on top of a 1km tall platform which is inaccessible to literally everyone who might lend extra assistance. And it is surrounded by an EMP field so helicopters cannot attempt a rescue.

And each person is of equal age and health, so it's not like you're choosing between babies or people in their 20s.

I always love how completely unrealistic and ridiculous these great hypothetical situations always are.

Edited by FuturePriest387

HisChildForever

I mean yeah, Winnie can probably carry seven or eight people at a time, but mere mortals are going to be limited to one, two at most.

And for those of us who are weak and consider lifting a kitten an achievement...

Nihil Obstat

And for those of us who are weak and consider lifting a kitten an achievement...

In your case everyone is kittens.