chrysostom Posted June 10, 2014 Posted June 10, 2014 Have not watched anime, have read some manga though - my favourite is probably Miyazaki's graphic novel Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, whose plot goes a lot further than the animated film of the same name, I hear. Akira is also a classic manga/graphic novel that I enjoyed. Both have post-apocalyptic settings. I also have found two or three good Korean comics published online - they're called "webtoons". The format allows for quite a bit of creativity. :paperbag:
cartermia Posted June 11, 2014 Posted June 11, 2014 Is Full Metal Alchemist good? Just found out my family has a Netflix account and it has lots of anime on the site so I might try watching it.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 11, 2014 Posted June 11, 2014 Is Full Metal Alchemist good? Just found out my family has a Netflix account and it has lots of anime on the site so I might try watching it. Given your age, please also check with your parents before watching anime you are not familiar with. Some very inappropriate anime can look at first glance like they were intended for a younger age group. I would hate to be responsible for you seeing something your parents are not ok with.
ThereseMaria Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 You might enjoy Madoka Magica. It's basically a Mahou Shoujo genre inversion. It has that cute look to it, but it ends up being fairly violent and intensely dark. Also the music and artwork is excellent. Kind of 'psychedelic satanic' at times. That was an amesome anime, one of my favorites. I nearly cried at the end, I was so sad that it was finished!!! Is Full Metal Alchemist good? Just found out my family has a Netflix account and it has lots of anime on the site so I might try watching it.FMA Is supposed to be good, but there's supposedly tonnes of objectionable content. As in, people coming back from the dead stuff. I'm just going off what I've heard though, I haven't gotten to it just yet. Christian Anime Alliance has a bunch of reviews for anime, I use that site a lot. A good one that is appropriate is Haibane Renmei. The only thing is there is some very minimal swearing, nothing huge. It's amazing!!! I can't recommend anything more appropriate, the ones I watch are very dark and creepy, soooo... A word of advice: Don't watch Blue Exorcist. It was an amesome anime, buuut it bashes the Vatican and Christianity like you wouldn't believe. Good story line, but there is soooooo much objectionable content, and is not good for Catholics... It's really offensive.
arfink Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Concerning FMA, here is my take as a Catholic who just watched it: There is alchemy. It's not the same as magic or witchcraft. People do not come back from the dead. In fact, some of the characters who attempt to bring people back from the dead pay a horrible price for attempting it. Some of them learn their lesson and vow never to attempt it again and teach others not to make the same mistakes, while others become trapped in their ways and commit horrifying atrocities. (that would be the bad guys, BTW) Alchemy is treated as more of a natural science that can be used for good or evil ends, which makes sense if you follow the show's assumptions. Extremely scrupulous Catholics would probably want to avoid the show as some characters do swear and there are some fights with significant amounts of blood. There is absolutely no nudity or fan-service or lewdness though.
arfink Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Concerning FMA, here is my take as a Catholic who just watched it: There is alchemy. It's not the same as magic or witchcraft. People do not come back from the dead. In fact, some of the characters who attempt to bring people back from the dead pay a horrible price for attempting it. Some of them learn their lesson and vow never to attempt it again and teach others not to make the same mistakes, while others become trapped in their ways and commit horrifying atrocities. (that would be the bad guys, BTW) Alchemy is treated as more of a natural science that can be used for good or evil ends, which makes sense if you follow the show's assumptions. Extremely scrupulous Catholics would probably want to avoid the show as some characters do swear and there are some fights with significant amounts of blood. There is absolutely no nudity or fan-service or lewdness though. BTW, I am speaking as an adult here. If you are a child, this show is probably not for you.
CrossCuT Posted June 12, 2014 Author Posted June 12, 2014 There is a book trilogy that I liked a lot about a female necromancer. I dont consider that book sinful and I think it would be fine for young adults to read...in fact it IS a young adult book. :)
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Oh, CC, Requiem for the Phantom is also very good. It's about a guy who gets brainwashed by a criminal organization to become an assassin. Very violent and there was more sex than your average show. I quite liked it. Reminiscent of a mob movie in a lot of ways.
CrossCuT Posted June 12, 2014 Author Posted June 12, 2014 Oh, CC, Requiem for the Phantom is also very good. It's about a guy who gets brainwashed by a criminal organization to become an assassin. Very violent and there was more sex than your average show. I quite liked it. Reminiscent of a mob movie in a lot of ways. Are there vampires in it?
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Are there vampires in it? Nothing supernatural. Just a gang war.
CrossCuT Posted June 12, 2014 Author Posted June 12, 2014 Nothing supernatural. Just a gang war. Alrighty! Ill add that to the list! Ive only watched the first episode of Sword Art but Id like to give it chance before I write it off.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Alrighty! Ill add that to the list! Ive only watched the first episode of Sword Art but Id like to give it chance before I write it off. That show started out with so much potential. They could have made it into a really excellent look at the artificial culture of their world, the psychological effects it has on the people inside. In the first three or four episodes it looked like they would do that, but then instead they basically just turned it into a big stupid overpowered hero show.
CrossCuT Posted June 12, 2014 Author Posted June 12, 2014 That show started out with so much potential. They could have made it into a really excellent look at the artificial culture of their world, the psychological effects it has on the people inside. In the first three or four episodes it looked like they would do that, but then instead they basically just turned it into a big stupid overpowered hero show. Ooh, well then maybe I WILL like it!
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 Kirito is THE DEFINITION of Marty Stu. Basically every single cliche, he has it. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MartyStu
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2014 Posted June 12, 2014 So yeah, I think the show was utter trash, but at the same time I do not regret watching it. :P Sometimes you need those crap shows just for a bit of fun.
cartermia Posted June 13, 2014 Posted June 13, 2014 CrossCut do you mean Sabriel? The series by Garth Nix?
CrossCuT Posted June 13, 2014 Author Posted June 13, 2014 CrossCut do you mean Sabriel? The series by Garth Nix? Yes! I enjoyed those books! Have you read them?
cartermia Posted June 13, 2014 Posted June 13, 2014 Yes, I loved them! I should probably go back and reread them, I haven't read them in like three of four years.
CrossCuT Posted June 13, 2014 Author Posted June 13, 2014 Yes, I loved them! I should probably go back and reread them, I haven't read them in like three of four years. :like:
cartermia Posted June 13, 2014 Posted June 13, 2014 So do you think if I read them at 11 then I should be able to watch FMA now?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now