CrossCuT Posted June 13, 2014 Author Posted June 13, 2014 So do you think if I read them at 11 then I should be able to watch FMA now? Ive never watched FMA, so I cant really comment.
arfink Posted June 13, 2014 Posted June 13, 2014 So do you think if I read them at 11 then I should be able to watch FMA now? If your folks were OK with reading the manga then the anime shouldn't be too big an issue. I thought the manga was considerably more gory, actually.
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 (edited) Nihil, I started watching Aria and the scarlet ammo and wow...it is SO similar to Toradora. I wonder if there is some connection there... But I have to say...some of these animes are so odd. For instance in Aquarion Genesis, it almost exactly like Pacific Rim...where people rode in these huge robots. The pilots would fuse their minds/souls/essences together to super power the robot and fight bad guys. But anyway,...when they fused it would be almost like they were doing the tango...it was very odd. But minus that the show was good. But with this show...so this guy Aria is with has this altered mental state that is often activated by sexual desire of women...or just intense emotions. Very awkward haha. I am enjoying it though. Im only on episode 3 currently. Edited June 20, 2014 by CrossCuT
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 A connection? Of course; it's Rie Kugimiya. :proud: Beyond that, it will always seem familiar because it doesn't hesitate to use tropes to their full potential, sometimes even to the point of cliche. And it's awesome. :D
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 Well, you need to watch one of my suggestions then! Maybe Aquarion Genesis. (NOT Evol.)
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 In terms of Kinji's HSS, it is kind of complex, at least as complex as you will find with light subject matter. It is clearly sexual. So it's not just that he experiences intense emotions. It is sexual, and linked with his attraction to women. But it's not so crude as simply being "HSS is unlocked when Kinji gets turned on." I mean, you can look at it that way if you like, but where's the fun in it? I like to interpret it in a more complex manner. To me, HSS is 'activated' by situations where his sexual attraction is actualized and then threatened by outside hostile entities, like the Segway-Uzis in the first episode. The threat aspect is important IMO because it implies that it is not merely sexual attraction, but also the concept of protection or chivalry that play a role. The books from which the show was adapted from go into quite a bit more depth by further exploring the character of Kinji's brother, and that gives you more perspective on how HSS functions. It operates differently in his brother, but essentially on the same principles. In other news, and perhaps you heard, Sword Art Online is airing its second season this summer. As much as I think the first season was worthless trash, I'll probably watch the second season anyway. Like I've alluded to before, sometimes I just need to watch a really crappy show or two.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I recently watched Irresponsible Captain Tyler and liked it very much. I've seen it described as a comic space opera which is fair enough I think. It is a "feel good" story as well as being amusing and well suited to viewing as light entertainment.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I recently watched Irresponsible Captain Tyler and liked it very much. I've seen it described as a comic space opera which is fair enough I think. It is a "feel good" story as well as being amusing and well suited to viewing as light entertainment. Ooh, looks extremely retro! :hehe: I like looking at how the visual conventions in anime have evolved since the 80s and 90s. That one is very clearly early-90s. Very distinctive.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 IMO in ten or twenty years, we will be able to say that this particular show perfectly represents the visual style of early 2010s anime:
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 In terms of Kinji's HSS, it is kind of complex, at least as complex as you will find with light subject matter. It is clearly sexual. So it's not just that he experiences intense emotions. It is sexual, and linked with his attraction to women. But it's not so crude as simply being "HSS is unlocked when Kinji gets turned on." I mean, you can look at it that way if you like, but where's the fun in it? I like to interpret it in a more complex manner. To me, HSS is 'activated' by situations where his sexual attraction is actualized and then threatened by outside hostile entities, like the Segway-Uzis in the first episode. The threat aspect is important IMO because it implies that it is not merely sexual attraction, but also the concept of protection or chivalry that play a role. The books from which the show was adapted from go into quite a bit more depth by further exploring the character of Kinji's brother, and that gives you more perspective on how HSS functions. It operates differently in his brother, but essentially on the same principles. In other news, and perhaps you heard, Sword Art Online is airing its second season this summer. As much as I think the first season was worthless trash, I'll probably watch the second season anyway. Like I've alluded to before, sometimes I just need to watch a really crappy show or two. Yeah the protection part I knew because he told her that he feels a need to protect her etc.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I think thats a really pretty shot It is! In my personal opinion, recent anime has really been characterized by effective use of light and shadow. Makoto Shinkai, Kyoto Animation, and P.A. Works have been particularly adept lately. The stories have sometimes been unremarkable and sometimes quite good, so they are not necessarily guaranteeing quality - with the exception of Makoto Shinkai, whom I think does guarantee quality simply with his name - but aesthetically they have been extremely successful. There have been several shows I have watched all the way through simply because they looked really good. Hyouka was one of them, although the story grew on me towards the end.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 Yeah the protection part I knew because he told her that he feels a need to protect her etc. In the context of the story universe I think it is technically possible that he enters HSS mode without an active outside threat, but from a thematic perspective that simply does not happen. It only happens when there is some sort of threat against one of the other characters. The fact that HSS is exclusively protective and chivalrous elevates it from a crude idea of him just 'getting turned on', to more of a character trait or, maybe more effectively, an archetype. The 'knight in shining armour'.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 Ooh, looks extremely retro! :hehe: I like looking at how the visual conventions in anime have evolved since the 80s and 90s. That one is very clearly early-90s. Very distinctive. In the early nineties I was still older than you are now. This is so depressing. :paperbag:
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I am thinking of watching Ouran Host Club since it's on Netflix. The description there did not appeal to me but I saw some things on TV tropes that did. I don't want to read too much there because I'll end up getting spoiled. Do you know if it has a lot of sexual content/allusions? I really don't like stories like that. I liked the earlier episodes of Fruits Basket but not as it went on, mainly because of this.
arfink Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I like the look of 80's anime. Akira and Oedo 808 and Space Captain Harlock and the original Gundam. And Sailor Moon looked nice, although the story was so... vapid. I couldn't stand it. :P It's like the anime equivalent of Scooby Doo.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I am thinking of watching Ouran Host Club since it's on Netflix. The description there did not appeal to me but I saw some things on TV tropes that did. I don't want to read too much there because I'll end up getting spoiled. Do you know if it has a lot of sexual content/allusions? I really don't like stories like that. I liked the earlier episodes of Fruits Basket but not as it went on, mainly because of this. My friend watched and enjoyed Ouran. If i remember correctly he told me that there were not nearly as many sexual themes as one might expect from the premise.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 My friend watched and enjoyed Ouran. If i remember correctly he told me that there were not nearly as many sexual themes as one might expect from the premise. Thanks. I'll check it out.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 (edited) Thanks. I'll check it out. It was a while ago, so I might have misremembered. If you are concerned I can double-check with him first. I'm quite careful with the anime I watch, and I would hate to refer anything that I myself would not watch, even by mistake. Edited June 20, 2014 by Nihil Obstat
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now