An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

P, nuanced is putting it lightly! Intellectual somersaults in mid air required. Anyway I hope at this point in the thread you've got an answer to your original question about why dissenters still call themselves Catholic. It's because even the excommunicated ones ARE Catholic, according to the Church.

HisChildForever

Based on how long this thread is, it seems that there's no easy or straight-forward answer to this question. However, were all to agree on an answer, I guess I'd curious to know--then what? I mean, what's the purpose of this discussion, the aim everyone is reaching for? Does it help us evangelize better or something?

Wikipedia usually gets it's Catholic information straight from the Catholic Encylopedia, so I had no problems understanding it, but it does often get things wrong, so perhaps this article explains it even better since it is about a book written by a canon lawyer. I am only putting an extract of it the interview here because it is a long one, but there is a link to the article of the interview, and one can always buy his book I suppose as well. Disclaimer: I have highlighted certain parts of the interview, but I have not read the book yet.

The topic of excommunication is obviously so complex and so misunderstood that Ed Peters had to write a whole book about it! :)

Ed Peters is pretty much an expert on canon law and I love his blog  http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/

as well as another one about canon law by Cathy Caridi  http://canonlawmadeeasy.com/

I am not a Church Scholar or canon lawyer, so this information is basic enough for me, and there is also a whole section on the Catholic Encyclopedia about excommunication.

The Catholic Encyclopedia is too old to have accurate information on anything affected by Canon Law. The latest Code of Canon Law came out in 1983 and has many changes since the previous one in 1917.  I like Ed Peters and I trust your judgment that your other recommendation is good too.

I have a problem, in principle, with making deductions about theology based on Canon Law.  It is just too easy to get things wrong.  They look at questions from very different perspectives.

However, in my post to which you respond, I am the one who got things wrong.  When I went back to check the exact wording of Mystici Corporis I saw that it was compatible with the Wikipedia quote and that excommunication currently does not exclude people from membership in the Church. So I made a major mistake.  Thank you very much for correcting me. 

P, nuanced is putting it lightly! Intellectual somersaults in mid air required. Anyway I hope at this point in the thread you've got an answer to your original question about why dissenters still call themselves Catholic. It's because even the excommunicated ones ARE Catholic, according to the Church.

It is not that simple.  In a way, dissenters are Catholic.  In another way, they are not Catholic.  And both of these ways are according to the Church.

But this discussion was very helpful for me.  I was able to work through the ideas and to see people's emotional responses to them.  I needed both of those pieces.  

When I frame dissent as "Those people are not really Catholic.  Why are they saying they are?"  I am automatically creating barriers and bad feeling. I need to frame it another way:

Dissent is very wrong and harmful, but does not destroy the indelible mark of Baptism. When dissenters call themselves Catholic, this could be a sign of the grace of Baptism working in their lives.  It is a reminder to hope and pray for them to accept correct doctrine and to return to full communion with the Church. 

Based on how long this thread is, it seems that there's no easy or straight-forward answer to this question. However, were all to agree on an answer, I guess I'd curious to know--then what? I mean, what's the purpose of this discussion, the aim everyone is reaching for? Does it help us evangelize better or something?

It helped me to come up with a more positive way to understand dissenters calling themselves Catholic.  I hope that this will allow me to communicate better with dissenters.

Anastasia13

It helped me to come up with a more positive way to understand dissenters calling themselves Catholic.  I hope that this will allow me to communicate better with dissenters.

Canonically Catholic, non-identifying

Canonically and culturally Catholic, sort of ish

Theologically Catholic RepreSENTINg :rap: Preach it!

?

Anastasia13

Canonically Catholic, non-identifying

Canonically and culturally Catholic, sort of ish

Theologically Catholic RepreSENTINg :rap: Preach it!

?

And that was post 666 for what it's worth.

I assent that sex has a nature, a meaning and a telos. I merely disagree what this essence of sexuality is. 

What makes you so certain that you know better than Christ's Church regarding what the God-give meaning and purpose of sex is?

I am always welcoming of prayers. Yet, I reject your the Church's black and white thinking. 

Fixed.

The concept of the Magisterium's infallibility on moral teachings is not my own invention.

What does Catholic mean to you?

"Catholic" means whatever you want it mean!  (Or nothing at all, if that's what you prefer.)

The only requirement is that you love and don't judge anything or anybody (except, of course, for those awful, horrible, mean, mean, floppy-floopin' judgmental conservative orthodox  Catholics who agree with all of Church moral teaching, whom Jesus would really hate if He were still alive today!)

(There, you bleedin' hearts happy?)

AccountDeleted

"Catholic" means whatever you want it mean!  (Or nothing at all, if that's what you prefer.)

The only requirement is that you love and don't judge anything or anybody (except, of course, for those awful, horrible, mean, mean, floppy-floopin' judgmental conservative orthodox  Catholics who agree with all of Church moral teaching, whom Jesus would really hate if He were still alive today!)

(There, you bleedin' hearts happy?)

Somebody miss his first cup of coffee this morning and it's affected his whole day? :console:

Somebody miss his first cup of coffee this morning and it's affected his whole day? :console:

He's got little ones so probably hasn't had an undisturbed night's sleep in a while.

Lilllabettt

RIIIIIIGHT because of all the Church teachings among which they choose to believe, these folks just happen to choose to believe that one esoteric bit of canon law that says it is impossible to ever leave the Church. 

Ahh makes perfect sense. The teachings about sex and reproduction - that's the picky stuff thats just pulled out of a hat and "made up."  The one where they say you can never release yourself from Church membership - that's the one that's to be taken as divine truth.

lol. how convenient for it to work out that way.

if your idea actually represents the position of dissenters who want to call themselves Catholic, then the irony is indeed ridiculous. 

Edited by Lilllabettt

Fidei Defensor

I'm retiring from this thread.

Quite honestly, it should be enough to say "if you believe what the Church teaches, you're Catholic. If not, you aren't."

Martin Luther was excommunicated was he Catholic as well?

The 1983 revision of the Code of Canon Law removed this statement from the account of the effects of excommunication in the Catholic Church.%5B4%5D Thus in current Catholic canon law, excommunicated Catholics - unless they cease for some other reason to belong to the Church - are still Catholics and remain bound by obligations such as attending Mass, even though they are barred from receiving the Eucharist and from taking an active part in the liturgy (reading, bringing the offerings, etc.).

I think this applies more to divorced Catholics and those who had abortions rather than people who are formal heretics.