PhuturePriest Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Abstinence is distinct from penance. Well, at least during Lent, Fridays are supposed to be penitential. The Bishop in my old diocese wrote an article about how not eating meat on Fridays but eating food at the Red Lobster completely negates the penance of the abstinence. I prefer all of my Fridays to be penitential and I was under the impression they were supposed to be, but I may be wrong. Regardless, I don't see the use in not eating meat if you're just going to go out and eat food that you like just as much. Why else are we abstaining from meat?
arfink Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Well, at least during Lent, Fridays are supposed to be penitential. The Bishop in my old diocese wrote an article about how not eating meat on Fridays but eating food at the Red Lobster completely negates the penance of the abstinence. I prefer all of my Fridays to be penitential and I was under the impression they were supposed to be, but I may be wrong. Regardless, I don't see the use in not eating meat if you're just going to go out and eat food that you like just as much. Why else are we abstaining from meat? Obedience.
PhuturePriest Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Obedience. But the rule isn't an exercise for the laity in obedience. There's a purpose to it.
Credo in Deum Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Well, at least during Lent, Fridays are supposed to be penitential. The Bishop in my old diocese wrote an article about how not eating meat on Fridays but eating food at the Red Lobster completely negates the penance of the abstinence. I prefer all of my Fridays to be penitential and I was under the impression they were supposed to be, but I may be wrong. Regardless, I don't see the use in not eating meat if you're just going to go out and eat food that you like just as much. Why else are we abstaining from meat? I personally am not at that spiritual level to go imposing stricter penances on myself. Also I'm not a huge fan of seafood so going to a Red Lobster would be a form of penance for me, especially when I could go to a Red Robin instead. One day, with God's grace, I will be able to offer water and bread fasts, and maybe even use tap water for extra penitential effect. Or, maybe I will switch not eating meat with not watching TV, or listening to music, or surfing the internets.
beatitude Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Well, at least during Lent, Fridays are supposed to be penitential. The Bishop in my old diocese wrote an article about how not eating meat on Fridays but eating food at the Red Lobster completely negates the penance of the abstinence. I prefer all of my Fridays to be penitential and I was under the impression they were supposed to be, but I may be wrong. Regardless, I don't see the use in not eating meat if you're just going to go out and eat food that you like just as much. Why else are we abstaining from meat? I agree. I'm a vegan myself and many of the dishes people have suggested are things that I would make for myself as a regular meal (minus any cheese). For Fridays I try to keep it extra simple - soup or broth with bread, or maybe beans on toast. I know that everything I eat is technically in line with what we are able to have on Fridays, but having a vegan pizza or one of my favourite curry meals on a Friday would feel like sticking to the letter while forgetting the spirit...
Nihil Obstat Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Well, at least during Lent, Fridays are supposed to be penitential. The Bishop in my old diocese wrote an article about how not eating meat on Fridays but eating food at the Red Lobster completely negates the penance of the abstinence. I prefer all of my Fridays to be penitential and I was under the impression they were supposed to be, but I may be wrong. Well, yes and no. The abstinence from meat on Fridays is distinct from the penitential nature of Lent. Abstaining from meat is a meaningful act in and of itself, even if it is not strictly penitential. Obviously it is never wrong to do penance, and using one's abstinence from meat as a penitential offering is laudable, but one would be mistaken to substitute that penance as the primary reason for abstinence. It gets it backwards.
brandelynmarie Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Soooo....sushi would not fulfill my meatless Fridays because I love it so? :love: :eat: Uh oh :doh:
Nihil Obstat Posted June 28, 2014 Posted June 28, 2014 Soooo....sushi would not fulfill my meatless Fridays because I love it so? :love: :eat: Uh oh :doh: It does, by the letter of the law.
brandelynmarie Posted June 29, 2014 Posted June 29, 2014 Maybe I oughta switch to soup & sammich :blush:
OnlySunshine Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 Baked Spaghetti with Artichoke Hearts and Zucchini :drool:
Basilisa Marie Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 It's one of those things where the letter of the law is so lax that nearly everyone can obey it, but we're encouraged to go "beyond" it if we feel so called. I like making taco dip (without the usual hamburger), which can sometimes feel like a meal in itself. Layer refried beans (in lieu of hamburger), cheese, black beans, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and more cheese in a dish. Eat with chips. It's delicious.
Kayte Postle Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 Peanut butter sandwiches, and veggies (and by veggies I mean popcorn....)
brandelynmarie Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 It's one of those things where the letter of the law is so lax that nearly everyone can obey it, but we're encouraged to go "beyond" it if we feel so called. I like making taco dip (without the usual hamburger), which can sometimes feel like a meal in itself. Layer refried beans (in lieu of hamburger), cheese, black beans, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and more cheese in a dish. Eat with chips. It's delicious. That sounds so delicious to me that it would not be penitential. :) I think I'm stuck eating rocks & twigs :hehe2:
Credo in Deum Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 (edited) Peanut butter sandwiches, and veggies (and by veggies I mean popcorn....) Peanut butter popcorn. In a sauce pan put butter, a little bit of garlic powder, a little bit of spike, and a good amount of Adams peanut butter. Then turn the heating element to a low setting and mix the ingredients until you have a nice peanut butter sauce. Once that is finished pour it on top of your popcorn and enjoy. You will never be happy with regular popcorn every again. Ever. Edited June 30, 2014 by Credo in Deum
Kayte Postle Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 Peanut butter popcorn. In a sauce pan put butter, a little bit of garlic powder, a little bit of spike, and a good amount of Adams peanut butter. Then turn the heating element to a low setting and mix the ingredients until you have a nice peanut butter sauce. Once that is finished pour it on top of your popcorn and enjoy. You will never be happy with regular popcorn every again. Ever. :eek: I need this in my belly. NOW.
CatholicsAreKewl Posted June 30, 2014 Posted June 30, 2014 This is really easy to cook and surprisingly good: http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2008/04/fishinabag.html
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now