Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

fides' Jack
Posted

Are you a fan of curry at all? I have another amazing tikka masala recipe that is super yummy!

 

Tikka masala might just be the best thing on Earth, if it's done properly.

fides' Jack
Posted

I love bacon and steak.  Yum.  :|

Posted (edited)

Uh... getting a lot of great food ideas in here, but I do trust all of you who are suggested meat-like varieties in a thread on meat-less options, are meaning to do those with either fish or a phoney-meat product?   ;)    (Me thinks we forgot what the thread is...)

 

:hehe2:  :oops:

 

So back to <>< phood.....

 

NACHOS?  AGAIN?   Can't we have anything else to eat????  The best ones have you-know-what on them, and we can't do that on Fri. ;)

 

How about.... cheese enchiladas?

 

one of my favorites is a mix of cheese cubes (Jack cheese works really well) and cherry tomatoes, small carrots, olives, maybe artichoke hearts and a little balsamic dressing and some extra garlic and maybe a few hot pepper flakes.  Now THAT is a fantastic meal!!!!  If you wanted more protein, maybe toss in some shrimp????

 

 

 

 

Edited by AnneLine
Nihil Obstat
Posted

http://youtu.be/RllWJUvrxEY

Posted

Cheese omelettes, maybe with some wilted chard or mushrooms tossed in (gotta toss in something to replace those nachos :p )

brandelynmarie
Posted

I'm making cold sesame noodles with vegetarian "chicken" & cucumbers tonight. :)

www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/magazine/01food.t.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&sq=cold%20sesame%20noodles&st=nyt&scp=1&adxnnlx=1208677101-iQBxjTpUEWVw8aGYxKt/Fg

chrysostom
Posted

Tikka masala might just be the best thing on Earth, if it's done properly.

 

amen and amen.

Anastasia13
Posted (edited)

I am quite fond of falafel sandwiches or as a snack. They are seasoned, grown chickpea patties-usually friend. And the rest of the week, they make a great seasoning on a meat sandwich, even if you crumble them on top of the meat. There might be recipes online, but I have mainly bought a mix at a middle eastern market.

 

If you like slightly spicy things, try something like coconut sambol on a lightly seasoned or relatively plain rice (maybe with some nuts added to the rice). http://www.mysrilankanrecipe.com/coconut-sambol/ You can do that with or without fish, and with green or red chili.

 

Tuna cassarole: cream of celery and cream of mushroom soup  (condensed) with noodles, tuna, and peas.

 

A Middle Eastern or South Asian market may have some foods, or you might find some recipe ideas there. I think I bought some vegetarian south asian hotpocket like thing before. It was spicy though.

 

Beans and greens soup-my family uses black eyed peas and any cookable greens that do well in soups though recipes might say navy beans or something and mustard greens are common.

 

Some stores sell a 15 or 12 or whatever bean soup in the dry goods section.

 

Saag aloo: Indian dish of spinach and potatoes.

 

You can finish off a meal with some eggless cheesecake.

http://whyfoodworks.com/2013/08/15/mint-chocolate-avocado-cheesefake/

http://kirbiecravings.com/2013/10/10-minute-microwave-cheesecake-mug-cake.html

 

Edited by Light and Truth
CountrySteve937
Posted

Try acorn squash stuffed with cottage cheese. 

brandelynmarie
Posted

I thought light bulbs counted as a protein...

Posted

I thought light bulbs counted as a protein...

 

Only if they're plugged in.

fides' Jack
Posted

And bacon - don't forget bacon.  :|

The Bus Station
Posted

Peanut butter tuna salad ...

brandelynmarie
Posted

...with pickles.

Anastasia13
Posted

Vegetarian chili on Fritos with cheese on top

 

Tuna melts

 

Louie salad or some variation thereof http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Crab-Louie-457120?columns=5&position=1%2F9

 

Vegetarian taco salad, beans instead of beef, can even add rice to help bulk it up. Basic taco ingredients should do, but here is a recipe for seasoning ideas. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/vegetarian_taco_salad.html

 

Bake egg, cheese, and spinach inside of portabella mushrooms. (I did this as a side with eggplant parmigiana.)

 

Eggplant parmigiana. There are dozens of recipes online for this, but one of the secrets is to largely skin it, then cut thin slices, salt, and let it sweat out moisture for at least twenty minutes before using egg or mayo and then crumbs/cheese. I baked mine.

 

Couscous with walnuts, yams/sweet potatoes, and maple syrup

 

Stir-fry, but using walnuts instead of meat or tofu.

 

I once found a pre-packaged meal of sticky rice and red beans that tasted like there was sugar added to it. So good...

 

Sometimes you can find vegetarian bacon bits. I think Baco Bits might be, but I would have to go to the store to check.

Anastasia13
Posted

Stir-fry, but using walnuts instead of meat or tofu.

Stir-fry, btw, is a chance to experiment with sauces and seasonings, like plum sauce, or ginger and citrus, along with teriyaki and seseme seeds.

 

If you have vegetarian bacon bits, if you prep (including sweating) eggplant and chop it into bits and fry with onion, it makes a nice side dish.

 

Vegetarian lasagna

 

Cheese ravioli with apples and walnuts http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/ravioli-apples-walnuts-recipe-00000000020572/

 

Breakfast for dinner (eggs, omlett, waffles, pancakes, banana pancakes, blueberry pancakes, pancakes with fruit on top, french toast)

 

Here is a website for a fish pasta dish. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pasta-Salad-with-Salmon-514839?columns=5&position=2%2F19

 

Places like yummly.com let you type in ingredients and then bring up recipes that relate or include them. It's pretty cool if you are looking for cooking ideas.

Posted

Light and truth, you're killing me here. I love all these amazing food ideas! *scribbling*

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...