An Old School Catholic Message Board

Punishment For Abortion

dairygirl4u2c

Punishment for Abortion  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe that abortion is the killing of an innocent life and when society comes to its senses and realizes this and makes it illegal again, I think it should be a punishable offense.

That said, I do not think our society can come to that point unless many other things change first. The unjust and/or abusive conditions that many mothers live in is a huge contributing factor to abortion, often times the largest contributing factor. The pressures put on them to abort are often so incredibly great that despite the fact that many mothers know they are killing their child, they are incapable of freely making another choice. I think the punishment should thusly lie primarily with the people who put mothers in the position where they are at risk, starting with the father of the child.

"I am going to kill you to show you killing people is wrong!" Ha. No wonder aliens won't visit us.

Note that capital punishment wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread in regards to abortion...

xD 

*goes back to read the polls again*

Uhhhh I have no explanation for that other than, "I didn't read it all the way through"

*hides*

I know a lot of states allow capital punishment to be prescribed for premeditated murder, but I am not terribly fond of that idea in the first place, and especially not in the case of abortion.

fides' Jack

Hm...  Maybe capital punishment is a good idea here. 

:|

(j/k - don't hit me)

I don't understand the incredulity expressed in response to the original post.  It's a very relevant question.  The pro-life movement wants procured abortion to be outlawed.  Therefore, we HAVE to face up to this question, for if that goal is reached, then a suitable consequence for violating the desired law against procured abortions must be decided upon - a penalty that will enforce it effectively and justly.

Also:  abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell recently received a life sentence for murdering just-delivered babies after failed late-term abortions.  http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Gosnell-Sentenced-on-Other-Crimes-207525291.html He narrowly escaped a death sentence by agreeing not to appeal, receiving life without parole instead. 

What makes murder of a newborn different than the murder in late-term abortion? What makes the murder in late-term abortion different than the murder in earlier-term abortion? In principle and in Catholic morality, nothing. In current US law, there is a great difference.  Under the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, the physician convicted of performing a late-term abortion receives a fine and/or a sentence of no more than two years in prison.  I don't know much about punishments for abortion in other countries, but it would be interesting to know what they are.  It is also relevant to consider that the penalty for procured abortion in Catholic law is its severest - latae sententiae excommunication.

My opinion is that if the US ever recognizes abortion as murder, the primary penalties - whatever they are - should be applied to the abortionist.  Whilst there are many factors that often mitigate culpability for the mother - feeling forced, trapped, coerced, overburdened, abandoned, desperate, fearful, etc. - the same cannot be said of the abortionist, who does it for profit.

dairygirl4u2c

"Whilst there are many factors that often mitigate culpability for the mother - feeling forced, trapped, coerced, overburdened, abandoned, desperate, fearful, etc. - the same cannot be said of the abortionist, who does it for profit."

and abortionists such as Tiller were among the worst. the prolife group next door had like a ninty percent plus success rate when they got women over to them. why didn't tiller suggest they go see that group before deciding? it seems to follow that he cared more for the money than concern for the woman, and in no way concern for the babies.

but don't get me going down the road of the tiller issue.....

polskieserce

I think abortion should just be a straight first degree murder charge.  A person is a person no matter what stage of development he/she is in.

Credo in Deum

I agree that abortion should be made illegal and that the charge should be murder for anyone who gets one. This however still presents us with the big question of what do we do about all of the murders which have taken place prior to the new law -if one was to be implemented? Do those who received an abortion before the new law now get a "get out of jail" free card? Should they be exempt from sentencing?

I personally believe abortion clinic staff and those responsible for pushing abortion through, should be charged with crimes against humanity. I personally do not see how we can lament events like the Holocaust, and yet still be indifferent towards abortion.

Edited by Credo in Deum