An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Percent Of Catholic Marriages Are Actually Valid?

polskieserce

polskieserce

The Catholic Church has a lot of strict standards that have to be met for a marriage to be considered "valid".  One of these requirements is not considering divorce as an option at the time of marriage.  There are most likely many more requirements which also must be met.

Out of all the Catholic weddings that take place each year, roughly what percent of those marriages are likely to be valid in the church's eyes?

All marriages are to be presumed valid until investigated by the proper authorities and declared otherwise.  The question is not really answerable.

The Catholic Church has a lot of strict standards that have to be met for a marriage to be considered "valid".  One of these requirements is not considering divorce as an option at the time of marriage.  There are most likely many more requirements which also must be met.

Out of all the Catholic weddings that take place each year, roughly what percent of those marriages are likely to be valid in the church's eyes?

Yeah, this is a little like asking what percentage of people go to hell. :P

I agree with Peridrina. Assume its valid. Besides, the conditions of someone elses marriage really isnt your business anyway imo. 

I agree with Peridrina. Assume its valid. Besides, the conditions of someone elses marriage really isnt your business anyway imo. 

You aren't just agreeing with me.  That is Canon Law.

I dont know much about cannon law. I studied non theology things in school. 

truthfinder

Again, not going to surmise - but I think in one category of invalid marriages has probably decreased - those who were "coerced" into marriage.  The scenario here is weddings which happened because a couple got pregnant.  Priests are getting more careful with these marriages because they now it can be grounds for annulment. 

Credo in Deum

You aren't just agreeing with me.  That is Canon Law.

url.jpg Yes, I am aware that is a cannon and not a canon.  I figured the cannon had more comedic value than a camera.

I was in the situation where I could study things for fun and did not have to worry about how useful they were.  I realize that most people do not have that luxury. 

url.jpg Yes, I am aware that is a cannon and not a canon.  I figured the cannon had more comedic value than a camera.

So THATS what all the hullabaloo is about!

I was in the situation where I could study things for fun and did not have to worry about how useful they were.  I realize that most people do not have that luxury. 

I do some fun religion stuff on the side with my broham but other than that I havent studied the Catholic faith since I was in high school. 

CatherineM

When I was working in the Trubunal, I got the impression that the percentage is low. I truly believe that divorce is a symptom of a marriage that wasn't right in the first place. Immaturity was the basis of most annulments. The problem is we aren't raising kids to be mature adults anymore.

polskieserce

Well my personal gut instinct is that a decent number of marriages are not "valid" by the Church's standards.  Regarding not considering divorce as an option, that point alone probably disqualifies a large chunk of marriages since a lot of people are utilitarian enough to have that in their list of options.  This does not even take into consideration the Church's other requirements, which will also inevitably trim the number down even further.

HisChildForever

Well my personal gut instinct is that a decent number of marriages are not "valid" by the Church's standards. 

You don't really have an argument if your "evidence" is personal gut instinct.