An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Percent Of Catholic Marriages Are Actually Valid?

polskieserce

polskieserce

You don't really have an argument if your "evidence" is personal gut instinct.

The high divorce rate seen in Western countries is the objective evidence you seek.  People would not be getting divorced in such massive numbers if they thought divorce was the worst thing since WW2.

Credo in Deum

Out of all the Catholic weddings that take place each year, roughly what percent of those marriages are likely to be valid in the church's eyes?

Out of all the Catholic confessions that take place each year, roughly what percentage of those confessions which have received absolution are likely to be valid in the Church's eyes? Edited by Credo in Deum

polskieserce

Yeah, this is a little like asking what percentage of people go to hell. :P

The bible doesn't give a percent, but it does say it's the overwhelming majority.

• 2 weeks later...
southern california guy

The high divorce rate seen in Western countries is the objective evidence you seek.  People would not be getting divorced in such massive numbers if they thought divorce was the worst thing since WW2.

It seems crazy to me, but divorces increased dramatically after "no-fault" divorces were introduced, and after Pope John Paul the II made changes to the Cannon law that made annulments easier to obtain.  It seems crazy to me because I would think that people that wanted a divorce would get one regardless of the hoops that they had to jump through, or even the fact that they could not get an annulment.  They would want out of the bad marriage.  But apparently that is not the case!

I find it interesting to think that catholic couples are walking around barely realizing how convoluted the marriage process is,  and that ya cant walk in to any church with a spouse who has been previously married and just expect to have a happy lovely wedding ceremony.

Better yet should one interject a question if both the catholic man and woman are virgins, because we all know premarital sex is wrong and sinful, maybe premarital sex should be the absolute deal breaker on allowing people to be married in the Catholic Church.  And if one has had premarital sex, then sorry  ya cant get married.

Edited by superblue

Anastasia13

Better yet should one interject a question if both the catholic man and woman are virgins, because we all know premarital sex is wrong and sinful, maybe premarital sex should be the absolute deal breaker on allowing people to be married in the Catholic Church.  And if one has had premarital sex, then sorry  ya cant get married.

If it was a common law marriage, I could see that, but marriage is more than just sex, and we are nothing without forgiveness.

If it was a common law marriage, I could see that, but marriage is more than just sex, and we are nothing without forgiveness.

lol okay why if it was a common law marriage should asking if the two are virgins actually matter ?

it just seems with all the laws an questions the church has towards marriage, that the question would at least be posed to the couple. Seems like a legit question, and even though marriage is more than just sex, the question can answer a lot about the two in regards to how they view the sacrament of marriage , the concept of monogamy, commitment, etc.

Nihil Obstat

Any priest who is doing his job properly will question the couple to be married on a variety of factors which might offer impediments. 

Anastasia13

lol okay why if it was a common law marriage should asking if the two are virgins actually matter ?

it just seems with all the laws an questions the church has towards marriage, that the question would at least be posed to the couple. Seems like a legit question, and even though marriage is more than just sex, the question can answer a lot about the two in regards to how they view the sacrament of marriage , the concept of monogamy, commitment, etc.

Previous common law marriage might be a reason to not allow marriage to new spouse in the Catholic church because it is a marriage by habit, an informal marriage and then has a legal status. It takes more intention than simple sex.

A marriage, even if the wrong spouse according to a party, takes a lot more intention than a mere night of slipping into temptation.

If a couples views are the only thing that matters in a marriage, does that mean that couple is married if there is a misconception or error that leads to annulment? Does that mean an annulled marriage was a real, valid marriage one when no one recognized the problem yet?

polskieserce

dam/n straight it's a legit question.  In the first thread I posted when I joined this forum, I made it very clear that it's one of the questions I would be asking at the start of a relationship.

Edited by polskieserce

Catherine Therese

The answer is always 1%.

Actually I'm pretty sure that the answer is always 1% more than 1% less of the reality. 

:P