An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eastern Vocation Links

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

That is so cool.

What do you mean wish that you had a vocation? Everyone has a vocation, whether it is nun, sister, consecrated virgin, wife/mother, etc.

Also, I try to PM everyone who is Orthodox or Eastern Catholic and welcome them to the site, so welcome. :)

That is so cool.

What do you mean wish that you had a vocation? Everyone has a vocation, whether it is nun, sister, consecrated virgin, wife/mother, etc.

Given the context I assume she was referring specifically to a vocation to monastic life.  It is good to be reminded that no matter what God intends for us it is our own unique vocation. 

ChristianGirlForever

Actually yes. No harm in trying - if you get an email, you know it's worked, if not, nobody's the worse off :)

Okay, here goes. If you don't get it, don't feel badly. I'm quite horrible at this. Lol.

By the way, just basically go with the way it sounds. I'm horrible at phonetic spelling. Also, all the words in English in my real email address are spelled fully and properly, so that makes it easier.

Anyway, good luck!

Анолдфашондгрл1054@gmail.com Edited by ChristianGirlForever

Okay, here goes. If you don't get it, don't feel badly. I'm quite horrible at this. Lol.

By the way, just basically go with the way it sounds. I'm horrible at phonetic spelling. Also, all the words in English in my real email address are spelled fully and properly, so that makes it easier.

Anyway, good luck!

Анолдфашондгрл1054@gmail.com

I have "1054" in my email address too!  Guess that probably isn't that surprising.... 

ChristianGirlForever

Also, I try to PM everyone who is Orthodox or Eastern Catholic and welcome them to the site, so welcome. :)

Thanks, L &T for the welcome! :-). And, yes, I was referring to the monastic life. I already explored that, and know that isn't His plan for my life, but I still get wistful every so often. If/when He finds me a husband I will be over the moon. It would, however, be cool if he were considering the priesthood, because being a wife and mother and a Matushka would be amazing.

I agree with 1054, though, whatever God gives us is perfectly tailored to our person. There is great peace in knowing that. :-)

God bless,

Nina

And PM is back -- looks like you don't have to worry about the Russian.  :bounce:

Spoke too soon...  Had access to my messages and was just sending my email address to a few of you -- when I hit 'Send' it said I didn't have access to it again.  Sorry for the false alarm.  Mea culpa. 

ChristianGirlForever

I have "1054" in my email address too! Guess that probably isn't that surprising....

Haha, no, not really. I find the reasons behind the Great Schism interesting, too. :-)

Glad I don't have to worry about my hideous phonetic skills now, lol.

By the way, what is up with the "NOOB" title. Is that some kind of joke or something? It's not very attractive, whatever it is.

Haha, no, not really. I find the reasons behind the Great Schism interesting, too. :-)

Glad I don't have to worry about my hideous phonetic skills now, lol.

By the way, what is up with the "NOOB" title. Is that some kind of joke or something? It's not very attractive, whatever it is.

It's amazing to find others interested in this too!  As C.S. Lewis says, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'

I spoke too soon about the PM being back...  Must still be working out the kinks because as I was trying to send you my email address it disappeared again. 

Definitely preferred Chummy Commoner, but must be another change in the forum? 

Edited by 1054

For those in the US I'd also like to recommend St. Elizabeth Skete in NY.
saintelizabethskete.org

I've visited a couple of times and I'd say it's worth going in summer just for the flower gardens. They've put a lot of work into them and it's absolutely beautiful. Being a skete, there are several houses on the property that have the various workshops and cells. I was given some free skin creams they'd made and they were excellent. They also have less prayer in common (time-wise) than one might expect, but that can be a really nice change. They're connected to the men's monastery and seminary at Jordanville. If you go on a Sunday or feast day you have Liturgy in the new upstairs chapel - or outside! - and then eat with the priest and community afterwards. The community has doubled in the last 4 years or so, and they all seem really lovely, although I've only spoken to the abbess, Mother Elisabeth, at length.

ChristianGirlForever

For those in the US I'd also like to recommend St. Elizabeth Skete in NY.
saintelizabethskete.org

I've visited a couple of times and I'd say it's worth going in summer just for the flower gardens. They've put a lot of work into them and it's absolutely beautiful. Being a skete, there are several houses on the property that have the various workshops and cells. I was given some free skin creams they'd made and they were excellent. They also have less prayer in common (time-wise) than one might expect, but that can be a really nice change. They're connected to the men's monastery and seminary at Jordanville. If you go on a Sunday or feast day you have Liturgy in the new upstairs chapel - or outside! - and then eat with the priest and community afterwards. The community has doubled in the last 4 years or so, and they all seem really lovely, although I've only spoken to the abbess, Mother Elisabeth, at length.

When I'm well again, I might be able to make the trip. It's Upstate, so pretty far. Funny, I knew, of course, about the seminary and men's monastery, but had never heard of the women's monastery. That's probably the nearest one where I live. This sounds absolutely lovely. Thanks, Marigold. :-)

ChristianGirlForever

I still want to email CGF just to see if I worked it out right. :)

Lol, I doubt it. Might be fun to try, though. Maybe if I had translated it that would have worked better. I have fewer than 60 posts to go before I reach 100, so hopefully I'll get there soon.

When I'm well again, I might be able to make the trip. It's Upstate, so pretty far. Funny, I knew, of course, about the seminary and men's monastery, but had never heard of the women's monastery. That's probably the nearest one where I live. This sounds absolutely lovely. Thanks, Marigold. :-)

I know, a lot of people have never heard of it! They've been around for like 25 years but have really been flying under the radar. It's worth going, so I hope you make it sometime :)