An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Enter Religious Life?

Sister Marie

This ^^^^.

And I agree that the only place I have seen the Blessed Sacrament reserved for individuals is with hermits, not in nun's cells, but I don't know anything about orthodox communities  or if oremus is referring to the Orthodox (capital C?) church nuns?

One may feel called to religious life generally but, as you say, Nunsuch, serious discernment includes an understanding of one's spirituality and particular charism. If one is attracted to cloistered life, it is probably because one feels called to a life of silence and solitude and prayer in community. If one is attracted to active life, there is often an affinity for a particular type of apostolate, such as teaching or nursing or mission work. I came to understand my own vocation through spiritual direction when my SD told me that he thought I was a contemplative. That got me thinking and in time it became clear to me too that prayer was my charism.

The important thing in oremus' post was the emphasis on 'self-giving. of, in particular, free will and of time'. [sic]  I liked that statement.

the orders i named are religious institutes, they are not hermits. although they do have eremetical spirituality.

whay i am saying is someone should try religious life e.g. a short retreat  before getting caught up in the intricacies of which order, which charism etc. i didnt expect the things i mentioned until i went in one.

AccountDeleted

the orders i named are religious institutes, they are not hermits. although they do have eremetical spirituality.

whay i am saying is someone should try religious life e.g. a short retreat  before getting caught up in the intricacies of which order, which charism etc. i didnt expect the things i mentioned until i went in one.

Well, yes, I do agree that visiting convents is a good idea, but since each one is different from another, it wouldn't hurt to at least have some idea of the type of religious life one is attracted to. Because if someone visited a very strict Carmel for example, and found it stifling and stressful, they might think all convents are like that one and stop discerning.

That's why it really helps to have a good spiritual director who can help a person narrow down the choices. If you are definitely only interested in vegetarian convents for example, then going to visit the Benedictines who own a farm and butcher their own meat, might be a little off putting for you.

But yes, seeing religious life being lived out is a wonderful experience, and there are plenty of retreats at various communities.

Proper discernment is very important.  

[Edited by moderator (cmaD2006):  a) violation of Vocation Station rule (to keep a non-confrontational environment)  b) edging to the limits of promoting 'catholic on catholic' bickering, and c) the post was disrespectful towards religious.   And there's a chance that another rule was violated (promoting a community not in communion with Rome)]

Edited by cmaD2006

The women pictured in your last photo members of the Sisters of Carmel, who are not in communion with the Pope.  You might consider removing this picture.  I'm not sure what you have against the Sister in the 2nd photo.

Catherine Therese

May I please interject here to suggest that this could rapidly degenerate unless we perhaps turn our attention back to the OP and seek other responses to the initial question posed? I, for one, would like to see more in response to the original post, and it would be a shame for this thread to end up locked as well.  

Sister, your question is such a good. one.  I've often wondered about people's reasons to enter religious life.  It is one that differs in so many ways from the typical lives we lead.  I have much respect for you and the many others who have chosen to devote their lives to God and to His people.

Thank you Sister for you life of love and service,

Linnie

Catherine Therese

Sister, for me, there were a combination of factors. 

I desire intimacy with God more than I could possibly articulate. I'm afraid I'm not holy enough for this to be a disinterested desire, as in the motive being completely for God's sake. I DO love Him, very much, but it is not the pure and truly selfless love that I hope it will someday be. I really do long for the wondrous gift of union with Him for my own benefit too. Perhaps a little too stuck in philio... although we see in St. Peter that philio can become agape, if we follow our Lord's invitation to be led and to give ourselves over to Him. (c.f. Jn 21:15-19). 

The fact of the matter is that when I first TRULY gave my own small "yes" to Him, irrevocably and without reserve, this was done at the foot of the 10th Station of the Cross. Jesus is stripped of His garments. He had already sweated blood, had more beaten out of Him, been spat upon and mocked and stripped of the dignity that was His due, and yet He sought to give more. He allowed the very clothes to be stripped from His back. No doubt due to His scourge wounds, his clothes had stuck on to His skin and when they were torn from Him, the new scabbing was reopened and His flesh was torn from His back as well. 

On that day as I was praying the 10th Station, a deeper understanding than I had prior of the sheer totality of His gift to me finally penetrated my rocky heart. I was moved to respond with an undivided heart, love for Love, my life for Life Himself. His gift was both an irresistible and terrifying invitation all at once to REALLY follow Him. In so doing, perhaps the intimate union I so desire can come to pass... but for HIS sake. 

[I answer as one who entered and returned to the world... without revoking that "yes." I don't know what the "yes" means, but I DO know that His calling me back out here was NOT tantamount to throwing my "yes" back in my face. No, He still invites me to live that commitment and give without holding back. Still trying to figure out what THAT means now, but that's as far as the understanding He has given me will take me at present. As far as I'm concerned, my "yes" is still in force. So I think I'm still qualified to answer the question from that perspective :) ]

Edited by Catherine Therese

veritasluxmea

I've been reading over other people's responses and it seems to be that basically everyone wants to enter for one reason: love! Beautiful how we have so many people here who love God to the point of wanting to give their lives to him.  :heart:

TheresaThoma

I'm loving reading all the different responses. My reason for wanting to enter religious life is I feel that it is the best way for me to conform myself to Christ. I feel it is the best way for me to "image" the Church in my life. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

Catherine Therese

I'm loving reading all the different responses. My reason for wanting to enter religious life is I feel that it is the best way for me to conform myself to Christ. I feel it is the best way for me to "image" the Church in my life. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

Your response reminds me of that beautiful section in Vita Consecrata where JP2 speaks of the notion of contemplating the Transfigured Face of Christ such that one can more deeply understand, and become united to, the disfigured Face of Christ on the Cross... all of this with a view to returning ones contemplative gaze to Christ glorified in His Resurrection. I think its paragraph #14 or 15 or something. He speaks of the religious as the "Icon of the Transfigured Christ"... so your talk of seeking to conform to Him and image the Church makes a great deal of sense IMHO!!

brandelynmarie

To give my imperfect love...for Love. I believe God is asking me to enter...the desire is an ember in my heart that will not go out...

petitpèlerin

Your response reminds me of that beautiful section in Vita Consecrata where JP2 speaks of the notion of contemplating the Transfigured Face of Christ such that one can more deeply understand, and become united to, the disfigured Face of Christ on the Cross... all of this with a view to returning ones contemplative gaze to Christ glorified in His Resurrection. I think its paragraph #14 or 15 or something. He speaks of the religious as the "Icon of the Transfigured Christ"... so your talk of seeking to conform to Him and image the Church makes a great deal of sense IMHO!!

I love that. My own personal spirituality has been deeply influenced by the spirituality of the East which has a special emphasis on the Transfigured Christ. That's what has been the deepest draw for me over the years, even before I was seriously considering religious life: a deep desire to be to be transformed by grace. I've always been sort of in awe of our human potential, not to be great in terms of worldly success but to be personally transfigured in holiness and to radiate Christ's light to the world.

I'm not saying it well. I don't think well in words but in images, and to me it's all about image, transformation, fullness, and light.

TheresaThoma

The part about being conformed to Christ really came together for me when I was on retreat and sitting in on a class about the vows. The priest teaching the class concluded it with "the vows are not there to free us but to conform us more closely to Christ"(he said it better but that was the general gist of it) That was a lightbulb moment for me. Because the whole argument that the vows leave one more free to love just never sounded right to me. (But it may make sense to some. Fot it clicked because one could say the same thing about marriage vows. I guess it made sense in my physic minded brain because in the science world an explanation has to work for both the general and the specific case.
And I will now get off my soap box.

Another little thing nowadays is that I can't think of a cute girl or have a romantic impulse without immediately thinking..."but what if I were to take this heart desiring to love another and give it ALL to Jesus?"

Edited by chrysostom