arfink Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I have also met some great people on PM and been able to hold private conversations over PM. I think the decision is unfortunate but most of my friends and I have moved our conversations to FB. Exactly. Let the exodus continue.
blazeingstar Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 What about the ones where people have not been active in 5 years? Not to say don't do what you need to, but I have joined forums in the past and I haven't been on them in 5+ years and probably never will return. I like this idea. how about 1 year, no posts no logons, 3 years not active with 10 posts or less, 5 years inactive with 300 posts or less
arfink Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 Oh arf I want to be an IRL friend....yeah I agree. I my my FI over Catholic Match but over the years I was very close to alot of members and that can only happen over pm. Perhaps limit mailboxes for all but mods down to 10? You can find me here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AnthonyFink I don't mind people knowing my social media contact info, but I understand I am a minority in that regard.
cmaD2006 Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I like this idea. how about 1 year, no posts no logons, 3 years not active with 10 posts or less, 5 years inactive with 300 posts or less I like the 5 yr idea -- not the 3 year idea. We may have some members who have left for religious formation that could return once they are in vows. 5 years will allow for that, but 3 won't. Just my opinion though.
blazeingstar Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I like the 5 yr idea -- not the 3 year idea. We may have some members who have left for religious formation that could return once they are in vows. 5 years will allow for that, but 3 won't. Just my opinion though. 3 years inactive with 10 posts or less, though. I'm figuring that would get rid of people who just came on to ask a question, not members.
blazeingstar Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 added. Thanks. now I know you play minecraft and I know of a new server. w000t.
cmaD2006 Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 3 years inactive with 10 posts or less, though. I'm figuring that would get rid of people who just came on to ask a question, not members. That would get rid of a member who is waiting for 1st vows ... some communities do not give their members net access until that time. 1 yr postulancy+2 year novitiate + whatever prep time before (aspirancy, or getting of the net to enter) would mean that 3 years effectively gets the person off. Now I'd like 4 or 5 personally. Besides I don't think the problem is space. So deleting old members doesn't help. But I could be wrong.
CrossCuT Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I was gone for about 3 years for no reason other than I lost interest in PM. I came back about a year ago and everyone has been upset about it ever since. :evil:
blazeingstar Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 That would get rid of a member who is waiting for 1st vows ... some communities do not give their members net access until that time. 1 yr postulancy+2 year novitiate + whatever prep time before (aspirancy, or getting of the net to enter) would mean that 3 years effectively gets the person off. Now I'd like 4 or 5 personally. Besides I don't think the problem is space. So deleting old members doesn't help. But I could be wrong. If someone creates an account, posts less than 10 times, hasn't used a computer in 3 years, then the likelyhood of them remembering their Phatmass user name (or heck even being able to get into email is not very high. Thats why I said 3 years + under 10
cmaD2006 Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 If someone creates an account, posts less than 10 times, hasn't used a computer in 3 years, then the likelyhood of them remembering their Phatmass user name (or heck even being able to get into email is not very high. Thats why I said 3 years + under 10 OH!!! I see ... I'm sorry. I'm not thinking the way you are. I'm thinking about posts during that 3 year period. I thought you were saying 3 years + 10 posts during that time (instead of 3 years plus < 10 lifetime posts). Got it (lol) :). Agreed.
1054 Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I realize I'm incredibly new here, but I am sad to see this feature go. It was helpful to be able to have private messages when giving specific advice or questions that you might not want open to everyone on the internet.
beatitude Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I am sad too, as a religious sister PM'd me some valuable vocation advice that was very relevant to my personal situation. Had I known that the PM feature was going to disappear I would have printed it off! There was a recommended author in there whose name I can't now remember. If you read this, Sister, thank you for all your help - it's appreciated!
Anastasia13 Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 (edited) It's sad to see the PM system go, but it is better to lose PMs than it is to see Phatmass go down. If you remember the sister or the subject, maybe a specific thread on that would help you recover the author's name. Edited July 15, 2014 by Light and Truth
Credo in Deum Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I think this is for the best. I was starting to wonder if PMing myself was sinful.
AnneLine Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 I have very strong feelings about the dismantling of the PM system, and I don't quite trust myself to say things in a kind and gentle way right now, because I was - and am - very upset. Still not sure what it all means, but after praying, I do need to say a few things. First, the ONLY reason I am around here is I think God wants me here. That's how I try to approach all the things I do I love all of you -- and you have been a wonderful help to me spiritually and humanly -- but ultimately, it's about God. A lot of the things God does with me on Phatmass does NOT take place on open phorum... it happened within the PM system. I gather there were abuses, but I think that there was much good being done within the PM system, and that many souls have been brought to God through it. Much of God's work with souls cannot, repeat CANNOT, be done in open forums. So now all of that is unavailable.... and things will readjust... but not sure what that means. It would seem to me more sensible to dismantle the systems of people who abuse it, rather than take it out on all of us. Or at least, have given us some warning so we could have retrieved the messages and/or made arrangements for contacting people in other ways. (Beatitude just said that as well). I don't use FB, and I am not GONNA use FB. Not sure I want any email for me out in public. There have been many a day -- and night -- when I have done what amounted to spiritual direction and unpaid counseling in that system... and well... that is not there any more. Sad. And... Besides the obvious function of PM, I used it in a lot of other ways. For example, do you realize that I used the PM system for drafting the Kieran novena? Or the Advent and Lenten retreats? It isn't enough to have access to a thread from a year ago -- I used it as a drafting space that did NOT have time limits. Some of those posts LITERALLY took over 2 hours to draft... and I happily did this for the Pham. It has been a privilege, and I am sorry to think perhaps I won't be able to do those any more. We are in the middle of the Kieran novena, and I literally don't know how to do it without having the 'sandbox' of PM; I may be able come up with a work around. ArchaeologyCat and everyone, at a minimum I will post the prayer... but gee... who's benefiting from this move, dUSt, and who is being hurt? dUSt it is your site... but I will need to pray about what this change means for me ... I agree Phatmass isn't the PM system, but for me it was a HUGE part of it until now. So now I need to find out what God wants.... Continuing to pray...
Lilllabettt Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 so the messages I saved for years are gone forever? pardon me, but that stinks.
dUSt Posted July 15, 2014 Author Posted July 15, 2014 OK, PM system open for Clergy, Religious, Scholar and Militant. Only 7 per day allowed.
CrossCuT Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 Im waiting for people to start posting uber personal things all over open mic and watch the madness ensue.
CrossCuT Posted July 15, 2014 Posted July 15, 2014 (edited) OK, PM system open for Clergy, Religious, Scholar and Militant. Only 7 per day allowed. I think thats even more irritating. Can we all be one of those categories now? The rest of us just dont deserve to get to PM people now? Edited July 15, 2014 by CrossCuT
dUSt Posted July 15, 2014 Author Posted July 15, 2014 Last month there were over 7,000 posts. There were only 80 PM's sent. You people are drama.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now