An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who In Here, The Vocation Station, Wants Some Responsibility?

dUSt

OnlySunshine

• You need to know what is going on in here
  • intra order/community mud slinging
  • You should not be emotional
  • :cry::  :sad2: :whine:
  • You should have thick skin
  • :whine:
  • You need to be comfortable making decisions without guidance
  • :|
  • You will have complaints about you, so must be completely immune to that
  •   :alone: :sad2:
  • At some point I will tell you you are doing things wrong, so that should not phase you
  • no, you are doing things wrong!! :|
  • Unbiased
  • WOO CARMELITES!!

:hehe2:

Nihil Obstat

What about someone who does not use the Vocation Station? They would be largely unattached to most of the major fights that spring up, and they would be less biased than the average poster since a lot of VSers rarely venture outside of VS.

AnneLine and Nunsense would both be excellent choices, IMHO. :)

I agree with Margaret Teresa. Nunsense has perhaps expressed her interest. What about AnneLine?

maximillion

I would not like to second guess AnneLine, but I do know she is often very busy......

Maybe someone can message her and ask?

bernadette d

I really think Anneline is the person for this, if she feels she has the time in her busy life.

Nihil Obstat

What about someone who does not use the Vocation Station? They would be largely unattached to most of the major fights that spring up, and they would be less biased than the average poster since a lot of VSers rarely venture outside of VS.

I nominate Credo in Deum.

Credo in Deum

I vote for, VEE8.  Solid use of emoticons is the trademark of all great Mod's.  

I nominate Credo in Deum.

Turrible.png

Edited by Credo in Deum

AccountDeleted

AnneLine and Nunsense would both be excellent choices, IMHO. :)

Thank you MT - it's not something I would have liked when I first joined, but now that I have some distance from VS, I think it might be quite nice to 'give something back' to Phatmass as it were.

For those who worry about me being a postulant and having time to be a mod, first, I have full permission to spend time online and on this phorum. My community is full of mature women who believe in each person accepting responsibility for their own actions, even the postulants. And my Prioress has taken into consideration my mature age (60+), and my many experiences as a postulant already. In fact, she said if it weren't in the Constitutions that I have to complete at least six months as a postulant, she would be happy to make me a Novice instead, simply because I have already spent more than two and a half years as a postulant in various communities already! :) Second, I already have online access, as one of my jobs is to continue with my online transcription work as it provides a small income which I contribute to the community. So, access and availability are not an issue.

I have also witnessed over the past seven years, many things changing on Phatmass, and seen the traumas and dramas that have unfolded. Sometimes I have even been a part of those, as a poster. I realize that as a mod, I would have to stay detached and unemotional, and to avoid giving the appearance of partiality in discussions. Not to say I couldn't have my own opinion, I am sure, but as the culture in VS is different than the rest of Phatmass, my priority would have to be supporting and maintaining that culture, rather than try to impose my own views on others.

I prefer it when mods have a 'hands off' approach and don't try to be 'nannies' or 'phorum police' but on the other hand, VS needs closer monitoring for charity than some of the other phorums. No one who regulates is going to be popular all the time (witness that drama that was raised when dUSt closed down the PMs for awhile) but hopefully, a mod won't be alienating people either.

I would love to see VS return to more of the 'phamily' atmosphere that it had when I first joined in 2007, but since people have come and gone since then, with the change in personalities, the dynamics were bound to change as well. Recently things seem to be pretty good, but I suppose there is always room for all of us to try a little harder to make this a truly supportive environment for those interested in the priesthood or religious life.

Well.... hmmmm.... uh, thank you... uh... I guess?   :eek: 

I have the internet repair people due at my home within the hour, so I have poor to little access at the moment and want to think and pray about this anyway.  It was NOT on my list of things to do today!

dUSt when I have some internet (probably later today) I will send you an email to the webmaster account.  I will pray about it....

MEANWHILE...  Could I suggest EVERYONE pray about the Holy Spirit sending VS the right person(s) for this job?    As I see it, to use a religious life motif, the mod ideally should function almost more a 'prior/prioress' -- i.e., first among equals.... who does a service to the community... and needs the backing, love and respect of the others in the community.   Without that... would be a hard job indeed....  So let's pray for the right person... and wisdom for our dUSt....

and now.... signing off until the Comcast guy figures out why our internet keeps going off multiple times a day... Grrrrrr.... a few prayers for THAT would be appreciated, too!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Lilllabettt

the thing is to seem like you don't want it but would nevertheless accept it if you were "drafted." 

-- page 14 in Keys to Success at the Papal Conclave

OnlySunshine

the thing is to seem like you don't want it but would nevertheless accept it if you were "drafted." 

I remember hearing the story of Pope Francis.  They wanted to nominate him during the Papal Conclave (where Benedict XVI was made pope) but he persisted that he wasn't the man for the job.  Now, look at him.

emailed dUSt a quick response...

and now the cable guy commeth.... :sos:

and I will offer THAT penance up for wisdom on VS mod selection!  

Praying for all of you... will be back .... when I can...

AccountDeleted

This made me laugh...

I think in positions of power or authority, the general rule is that the person who doesn't want the job would be the best person for it. But I think in a case like this, it would be silly to appoint someone who actually didn't want to do it or was unable to do it for any reason.

That's why I threw my hat into the ring - I just happen to be in a place where I can and would even enjoy it, but if AL or anyone else for that matter ends up being the mod, then I will support whoever dUSt decides would be a fit at this time. Mods come and go ... as long as VS is kept running in a charitable and healthy way, then I'm happy :)