An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welcome Purged.

dUSt

So what do we have to do to earn our way out of "purge-atory"? Be super duper extra nice? Who am I going to be nice to if there's no one else here? 

I'm here.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

I'm here.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

I can think of more deserving people than you to be here. 

edit: that's a compliment. in case that isn't clear. :unsure: 

Edited by Lil Red

I can think of more deserving people than you to be here. 

edit: that's a compliment. in case that isn't clear. :unsure:

Thanks.  It does not have to be a bad thing to be here.  

Thank you to whomever put me up for eviction. May I grow to be as holy as you yourself seem to be. 

Yeah, all eight of them.

Can "The Purged" still update statuses and whatnot? How about PMing?

Just sent you a pm.  Did you get it?

Credo in Deum

Even prisoners get to send mail.  You just have to look it over first.  

God will also sometimes allow those in Purgatory to visit us. 

So what do we have to do to earn our way out of "purge-atory"? Be super duper extra nice? Who am I going to be nice to if there's no one else here? 

dUSt? you say it can be temporary or permanent. So how can a person theoretically make their way out of purge-atory? 

I'm sure that there is probably some biblical support for that -- seems to me that Christian charity and fraternal correction has always been meant to be face to face and directly first and foremost...doing it anonymously seems cowardly. 

Oh, so it's OK as long as the accuser remains anonymous, whereas the accused is blazoned for all the world to see. There is something fundamentally wrong in that.

Everyone deserves to  know who is accusing them, and why. I suspect that had people known in advance that THIS is what would happen, then maybe they would not have nominated anyone. It was a bit rich asking us to nominate then putting those nominated into a ghetto, without any of us knowing in advance. That's not okay.

I understand dUst's very evident frustration, but this, NO.

It is public shaming. I don't like it, and I am out of here.

yup. 

Quoting myself:

it's too bad that whomever nominated me didn't feel they could approach me directly and tell me that they think I'm being an asshat. I don't know that I would've agreed, but I at least would have heard them out. 

I just realized that the email address on my file isn't one I use anymore. So, if you did try to contact me via email and I didn't respond, that's why. Apologies. The email address has been updated. 

I'll stick around to see if this corrects itself like phatmass hysterias of the past, but if it continues I'll be following Max too, at least for a little while.  If I wanted to be a member of a bland, broadly targeted, massive board where people have to walk on eggshells with a veneer of nicety to avoid offending the sensibilities of the lowest common denominator, I'd be a member of Catholic Answers Forum.  I've enjoyed phatmass's niche brand of jocularity and orthodoxy over the years, it's helped me to feel comfortable with the Catholic Faith because I never felt the need to put on a false face to associate with other faithful Catholics the way I feel one has to do in many religious social circles.  Every once in a while we have these little moral panics where 'something must be done' because someone's offended on the internet and phatmass decides to associate that with us not spreading the faith well when it reality it has to do with the particular niche that we've always reached through phatmass and how some people generally aren't going to "get it"... we'll see if this one blows over or not.  In the mean time, Red, you're not forgotten.

also, so long as we're purging people like Red, I think the Winchester Line should be removed from the rules, you know, false advertising and all.