An Old School Catholic Message Board

Give Me Gratitude Or Give Me Debt

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

I'm grateful for my furniture. That I even have furniture. Yes, it's overstuffed and scratched up from the aggressive episodes of animals belonging to previous owners of the furniture... but it's comfortable and it welcomes guests without hesitation and I HAVE FURNITURE. And a place to put that furniture. And people in my life who are glad to use it.

Today, I choose gratitude.

brandelynmarie

I am grateful for my 2003 vehicle that is paid off. It may not look as nice, but it still gets me from point A to point B.  :biker:

Credo in Deum

I'm grateful for the heated seats in my Cadillac.  

Cadillac; the brand God would drive. 

IcePrincessKRS

City people---Most of Boston, Portland, Manchester, Burlington, most of CT and RI---they have city water/sewer.  However, outside city limits most houses are on wells and septic.  To those posh city dwellers they can use the Charmin.

It's always a treat to take a dump in the city when someone has the fluffy stuff.  My FI's family has septic because of some random water table problem.   It is AMAZING to wipe my butt there.  I honestly do notice the difference. 

You can purchase it, but then you have to throw it in the garbage.  Septics don't like fluffy toilet paper.  I like fluffy toilet paper.  But I'm not a city girl.

I'm grateful to have grown up in the rural northeast with a functional toilet and septic system... instead of someplace where I'd have to do my business in a gutter in the middle of the night.

franciscanheart

I'm grateful for my car. It's old and cosmetically less than wonderful (thanks to a giant dent on the driver's side) but... I don't have to walk miles a day to do ANYTHING. I can just drive. So, no sunburn, no dehydration, no blisters. I am spoiled.

Deus te Amat

There is a thankfulness thread in Lame Board......maybe unite the two threads?

Double the gratitude, double the fun?

Credo in Deum

There is a thankfulness thread in Lame Board......maybe unite the two threads?

I'm going to go with a negative on that ghost rider. FH's OP is about cultivating and applying a perspective which fosters an attitude of gratitude for the things we have. The subject is therefore more about the benefits of changing our perspective than it is about posting random things we're grateful for. With that said we can get back on topic and discuss how we can work on using this perspective to better ourselves and bring some peace into our lives.

franciscanheart

I keep posting gratitudes that are a change in perspective for me to keep this thread bumped and to continue my own practice of refocusing my energy. Criticize what you will and let the mods separate posts if they want. Don't much care.

IcePrincessKRS

:idontknow: Eh, I agree with Credo. I think this thread is more than a list of things we're thankful for. Granted, threads evolve, but a lot of this has been discussion. If you want to make a list go ahead and participate in the other thread.

Im not sure what is so different about them. Honestly.  :idontknow:  Grateful and thankful are synonyms and people are listing things in both threads. 

franciscanheart

Meh.

This is a really tough thing for me. I do find gratitude when I need to find it -- usually because I don't have the resources (financial or otherwise) to obtain the things I think I need or want -- but it doesn't always come easily and it usually takes time. I also struggle with the desire to have nicer, better quality things. Why is that wrong? Is it? Is it okay to want new things that are pretty and make me happy? Is it wrong that THINGS make me happy?

I bought a new frame this weekend. It's ginormo but it's not wood so it didn't cost a fortune. I also bought spray paint to change it up to something I'll like better and that will go better with what I'm hanging inside it. Do I get to pat myself on the back for my compromises or is that prideful? Should I be saving that money for other people or things?

I struggle a lot with giving too much of myself and my things to others. It's been a problem, and I have a hard time seeing where it is and isn't healthy.

Edited by franciscanheart