An Old School Catholic Message Board

Postulant List Help

ToJesusMyHeart

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Our list is a lot similar but we don't expect postulants to pay for items they need after they enter. We feel it is better to start from the beginning to get used to living in common and learning poverty. God always provides and toothpaste and things aren't that expensive and are often donated anyway!

JCPenny is a good place for towels, linens, etc. You can also often find sales and coupons, too.

Our postulants are only asked to provide insurance for postulancy and even then we will often cover it ourselves if they don't have the money. Health insurance is very expensive in NJ.

RE LOTH. The leather edition is not really that great of quality. Don't get those plastic covers! They do terrible things to the books over time! A cover IS helpful, though.

Go for durablity and comfort for shoes. Lots of nuns love SAS! They last! Rockport and Dickie, Doc Martins are all good choices.

Our sisters have found that soccer socks last a long time.

Woolovers has some great cardigans.

If you are near an outlet mall (Premium Outlets), they usually have a Rockport outlet. I got 2 pairs of Rockford oxfords 2 summers ago for under $25 each--buy one, get one half price.  They still look good after lots of wear. If you or someone you go with is a AAA member (auto club), you can often get an additional discount! 

Sister Andrew

One thing that benefited me greatly when I was a postulant was all the clothing that had been left by previous postulants! We had a closet that had old skirts and blouses and some other random things from past years postulants and most of what I wore during postulancy, I think, ended up being from that closet! If you really can't find something I'm sure the Sisters will know of places you can get what you need or they have some extra that you can try out once you get there.

Prayers in the weeks leading up to your entrance!

in Jesus,

Sr. Andrew 

Questions- How do young postulants pay for health insurance, when they are not working?? Here in Washington state, there are several health plan choices to choose from i.e. Group health..and one must pay a monthly premium depending on one's income. I know a young man who pay's 60$ a month and he works at the Goodwill store. Also there is usually a co-pay (on top of it) when one needs to visit the doctor.
Is one required to have a savings account, so health insurance $$ can be deducted? Also.. If a young lady had a large financial debt...such as student loans etc.. prior to entering ..but manage to get it taken care of..what are the odds of her having finances available to pay for health insurance??? Pardon my ignorance and curiosity! Thanks

OnlySunshine

Questions- How do young postulants pay for health insurance, when they are not working?? Here in Washington state, there are several health plan choices to choose from i.e. Group health..and one must pay a monthly premium depending on one's income. I know a young man who pay's 60$ a month and he works at the Goodwill store. Also there is usually a co-pay (on top of it) when one needs to visit the doctor.
Is one required to have a savings account, so health insurance $$ can be deducted? Also.. If a young lady had a large financial debt...such as student loans etc.. prior to entering ..but manage to get it taken care of..what are the odds of her having finances available to pay for health insurance??? Pardon my ignorance and curiosity! Thanks

It's a New York thing.  New York is very strict on seminarians and candidates for religious orders having health insurance.  When my friend was preparing to be a postulant in the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, she had to work in order to save up $6,000 in order to purchase health insurance for formation.  Eventually, she discerned with the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate and wasn't required to raise the money. 

We just pick which one we want and qualify for... Silver. Gold etc and pay the monthly fee of like I said 60$ a month depending...If a community wanted you to add $$ to their health community plan they choose for their community members.... Then I guess one would need to follow the requirements

Wanted to mention that Haband clothes are not very good quality. Blair has great Turtlenecks & Mock Turtlenecks with long sleeves or short sleeves and in a wide range of colors. The prices are not that bad & they wear forever. Later they can be used as undershirts under the habit....Just a thought.

ToJesusMyHeart

For me, I'm still on my parents health insurance, till I'm 26, so this isn't an issue for me. I'm 22 now.

ToJesusMyHeart

So I loved the Rockport oxford online but they are out of stock!

As for SAS and the rest, I couldn't find them online...but I'm pretty shabby at online shopping. Any help?

OnlySunshine

So I loved the Rockport oxford online but they are out of stock!

As for SAS and the rest, I couldn't find them online...but I'm pretty shabby at online shopping. Any help?

You know I'm always up to help!  Let me do some searching and I'll post some links.  ;)

BTW, what is your shoe size?

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

ToJesusMyHeart

size 10 and preferably a wide, but if no wide is available i can just stretch the shoe. :) you're such a help, mater!

OnlySunshine

size 10 and preferably a wide, but if no wide is available i can just stretch the shoe. :) you're such a help, mater!

No problem!  I just thought I'd mention as an FYI that SAS doesn't sell shoes online.  They only have B&M stores so the salespeople can make sure you get a custom fit.  They are based in San Antonio, TX (San Antonio Shoes - SAS).  If you use their store locator, you can find one near you:

http://www.sasshoes.com/store-locator

I'll look for other shoe brands online.  I highly recommend brands like ECCO, Rockford, SAS, and Propet.  The higher the price, the better the quality (usually).  SAS tends to run expensive, as well as ECCO (over $100) but they last FOREVER as long as you keep them in good shape.  They are high quality leather shoes.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine