An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Sorry, Robin Williams, Suicide Is Selfish

blazeingstar

blazeingstar

I think Robin Williams was murdered.

From the coroner's report (which I read a synopsis of) it seemed rather clear that there was no foul play involved.  He'd suffered and made an incredibly bad decision.  There aren't many people who would benefit from his death that he didn't already give to in life.  So now, where he brought joy to many, in his wake he's left pain.

PhuturePriest

From the coroner's report (which I read a synopsis of) it seemed rather clear that there was no foul play involved.  He'd suffered and made an incredibly bad decision.  There aren't many people who would benefit from his death that he didn't already give to in life.  So now, where he brought joy to many, in his wake he's left pain.

Ignore Freedom, she's just a troll.

PhuturePriest

Atleast she's more interesting than you are.

You obviously haven't read my written works, otherwise you would know better.

Well, after reading almost the entire thread, the theme seems very complex.

In some way I can see the fact that suicide is selfish.

It is selfish in fact, in the sense that a person feels so bad that at a certain point the only thing this person can think of is to put an end to this suffering. And, if we see things this way, we can see that there is always an element of selfishness in it (as in many other behaviours in our life, btw. How many times we are much more selfish than this, and nevertheless we do not criminalize ourselves so much?)

I can think for example of persons who suffer so much for a phisycal illness (like cancer for example) and at a certain point the only thing they would like to do would be to put an end to it. Even killing themselves.

It is logical.

Also, every suicide is very different from one other so it is very difficult to judge any single case as we obviouvsly never fully understand the reasons that lead a person to commit suicide.

Certainly, depression, and the temptation to kill oneself is much more common than we can ever imagine. Every human being on this earth is, objectively, a potential suicide.

I too have friends who committed suicide. I too...am one of those persons who attempted to kill themselves (yes, sigh). It happened more than ten years ago, and, honestly, it seems to me as it was another person who did it, and instead not, it was really me. At that time I was much younger and I was suffering from depression for many years. I was never really  treated and - I don't know- at some point my mind arrived to be something on which I couldn't have a control any more. I had many irreal thoughts that I believed were true, like, for example, that I had become a public enemy for my family, that there was a global conspiracy  and that "people" were controlling me etc.

I had delirant thoughtsand also allucinations.I arrived to the point to hear voices and that there were signals that I should intepret the right way, For example, I perfectly remember that one day,  I didn't want to die, but I was forced to do it, and that if I had received a phone call from a certain person  (I was waiting for a call, but wasn't sure it would have arrived), this was the signal that I HAD to kill me, and I couldn't do otherwise. I still remeber the sense of relief that  I felt when I answered a phone call but no one spoke. I thought to myself: I am safe for now! But I had to wait for "further instructions" and every day it was different and later I arrived to really attempt to commit suicide. It lasted more or less six months this way.

I myself am still astonished when I think to these things that have occurred to me - I consider myself a quite normal and intelligent person- but, well, they happened for real. Of course I was in a very confused mental state especially as I was very stressed because of my studies that in that period were so intensive and for so a long time.

But this is to say that we never really can know what happens in the human mind- nor we ourselves can know our own mind in many situations! This is the problem!

But it is true that some times there can exist people who could try at least to change their situation.

For example, now that I am older, I sometimes am depressed, and, sometimes too I think of suicide -not in a real active way but for example when I fell very bad because so many things go wrong, etc. It is a thought that all of us can have, but immediately I think that I am much luckier that many persons in this world, that instead of think of suicide I should make things better, that I have persons who rely on me  that would be deeply affected by my actions and so on.

Honestly I don't want to judge, but a person like Robin Williams, who was an adult, mature person, had sons and daughters, a  wife, surely much money, could have tried to make his life a bit different. But I can nonetheless understand his feelings, and, I repeat, I don't want to judge. I feel sorry for him.

But it is clear that suicide affects very deeply the persons who are around us. I remeber that right after my reason "emerged" a bit after that foolish period, the father of one of my best friend killed himself. I still feel that sense of guilt because he really did it while I was saved  and graced by God (this is how I really see the things). I remember perfectly me being at his funeral  thanking God not to have done the same thing as I saw his family so devasted. But I really felt sorry for him as I knew he was suffering very much for many reasons and probably had lost all his hopes.

Also,  this year I knew a young man, a beggar, in the city where I've worked, who attended regularly my same Mass. We in some ways became a bit friends and so he started to walk with me for a bit and he started to tell me his story, very sad. He is from a far country, he came here to work, he did not know very well the language. He had travelled in many places-not as a tourist, but as a quite poor person in search for a job- so he felt a stranger everywhere, he felt a bit confused. One day, while he was crossing the street, a car ran against him. He stayed three weeks in a uncounscious state in the hospital, he had many fractures, and of course he lost his job. He began to live a hell. He started to drink, to live in the street as he had no money to pay for a room. His parents were dead, he had brothers and sisters in his home country but never heard from them. He had no real friends in this world. At some point...he showed me an old photo of him and he told me: This was me before the accident. Would you believe it was the same person that you see now? I was really impressed, indeed. And so he told me: why I wasn't dead in the accident instead of survive this way? Believe me I really admired him for not have killed himself, even if in practical he is doing it drinking so much.

So...I can really imagine that there are many situations in this life that could bring a person to think to commit suicide and, compared to these, I could think that Robin Williams choice was a bit immoral. But I can't really judge, only God can.

Also, it is clear, as I have stated at the beginning, that suicide is also a selfish choice but...and so? What does this really change? How can this really  help, both those who commit suicide, and those who are affected by this?

Finally, I don't believe, anyway, that the fact that a person  has committed suicide can improve the probability for some relatives or friends to do the same.

Sorry for the long post!

blazeingstar

Finally, I don't believe, anyway, that the fact that a person  has committed suicide can improve the probability for some relatives or friends to do the same.

Sorry for the long post!

Thats a scientifically accepted fact.  Children and close realitives of suicide victims are 3 to 10 times more likely to kill themselves regardless of blood relation.

Here's just one study from Sweeden.

http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/Children-Who-Lose-a-Parent-to-Suicide-More-Likely-to-Die-the-Same-Way.aspx

Suicide clusters are well established also

Thats a scientifically accepted fact.  Children and close realitives of suicide victims are 3 to 10 times more likely to kill themselves regardless of blood relation.

Here's just one study from Sweeden.

http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/Children-Who-Lose-a-Parent-to-Suicide-More-Likely-to-Die-the-Same-Way.aspx

Suicide clusters are well established also

The article you quoted speaks mainly about the risk. It also says

The good news, the researchers say, is that though children in this group are at increased risk, most do not die by suicide, and non-genetic risk factors can be modified.

So, it seems that even if there is a higher risk, in reality there isn't an higher percentage of succeeding suicides.