brandelynmarie Posted August 27, 2014 Author Posted August 27, 2014 I'm glad I found this thread because I've just spent the entire day with an intimidating book called The Great Horologion open on my lap. It was donated to the new monastery and since I'm to pray Compline at night and this involves learning the eight tones for the daily hymns, I decided to get a headstart on familiarising myself with the Horologion and pray it from that. It's... complex. I'm familiar with the services obviously (in the Orthodox Church the services are the same whether you're in the monastery or the parish and I've been in both) but learning basic Byzantine chant tones is the easiest part, put it that way! The introductory and ending prayers are memorised, the psalms are easy, even singing the daily hymns and figuring out the logic behind which tones are for what, but then there's this rotating door of extra prayers, extra canticles, extra tones, special melodies, all optional and variable depending on whether it's a Sunday before a such-and-such or the moon is full above the houses, all holding to some inner logic I can't figure out! But yes, it's kind of addictive, was my point :) I weep for the unearthly beauty in your church...so much beauty...
marigold Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 I weep for the unearthly beauty in your church...so much beauty... Thank you!
CountrySteve937 Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 (edited) Orthodox Liturgies <3 I just realized something, this thread is entitled 'learning the DO' have we discussed how to pray the Office yet :hehe2: @Marigold How's the Horologion structure compare to the LOTH I'm completely ignorant to Orthodox practices. :paperbag: Pax Edited August 27, 2014 by CountrySteve21
marigold Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 (edited) Orthodox Liturgies <3 I just realized something, this thread is entitled 'learning the DO' have we discussed how to pray the Office yet :hehe2: @Marigold How's the Horologion structure compare to the LOTH I'm completely ignorant to Orthodox practices. :paperbag: Pax If this is what you mean, I photographed the contents page for you: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/GPlusGroup/imagejpg4_zps4f242685.jpg The daily cycle is exactly the same, Vespers, Compline, midnight office (which I think is what you now call Readings?), Matins, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th hours (in Latin prime, terce, sext, none). They are made up of psalms, daily/festal hymns, Scripture, litanies, and prayers according to the time of day. The numbered Hours especially make an emphasis on the corresponding times during Christ's Passion - so at 3rd hour he's being condemned, at noon he's crucified, at 9th hour he's died. Matins is by far the most complex and variable, but also my favourite. The one thing everyone knows from Vespers is the hymn 'O Gladsome Light' which is one of the oldest Christian prayers, dating to the 2C. 'O gladsome light of the holy glory of the immortal heavenly holy blessed father, Jesus Christ, now that we have come to the setting of the sun and see the light of evening, we praise God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For right it is at all times to worship thee with voices of praise, O Son of God and giver of life, therefore all the world glorifies thee!' Edited August 27, 2014 by marigold
puellapaschalis Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 Those are some wonderful pictures, Marigold! The traditional Western pattern of the Office is: Matins/Night Office/Vigils (called Readings in the LOTH, and no longer tied to the night/early morning/evening before) Lauds Prime Terce Sext None Vespers Compline In LOTH this has become, if memory serves: Readings Morning Prayer Prayer before Midday Midday Prayer Afternoon Prayer Evening Prayer Night Prayer Prime was suppressed in the post-Conciliar reform. Before Midday, Midday and Afternoon roughly coincide with Terce, Sext and None, but only one is required for those under canonical obligation.
marigold Posted August 28, 2014 Posted August 28, 2014 Before Midday, Midday and Afternoon roughly coincide with Terce, Sext and None, but only one is required for those under canonical obligation. Just answered my own question by actually reading what you wrote. Duh
puellapaschalis Posted August 28, 2014 Posted August 28, 2014 Vespers at Le Barroux starting now :) http://www.barroux.org/fr/liturgie/ecoutez-nos-offices.html
Deus te Amat Posted August 28, 2014 Posted August 28, 2014 Today's office reading is legit. Happy feast of St. Augustine!
CountrySteve937 Posted August 29, 2014 Posted August 29, 2014 Books arriving...yes, indeed.... :mail: :bible: :love: CountrySteve21...let us know what you think of those books ;) Those books arrived a couple days ago. :bounce: There wonderful, it give lots and lots of readings for the Hours, plus it came with a Monastic lectionary for the Benedictine's :love: I also found online the Scripture references for the Lectionary too.. http://www.stutler.cc/russ/2yrlectionary_yr_1.html
marigold Posted August 29, 2014 Posted August 29, 2014 So... How do you do the DO? Anyone want to share what, how and when they pray the Divine Office?
Egeria Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 I once - many years ago - found it difficult finding my way around the LOTH. But that is simplicity itself compared to the Byzantine Office, which somebody once said requires about 27 different books to pray properly! I have to confess that there are times when I miss the sober simplicity of the West! Seriously though - although this may be more a matter for an intra-Orthodox discussion - I think that the question of how and when is a challenging one for Orthodox, especially for those of us not in huge monasteries. I keep hearing people say that it's not doable if you're not in a monastery and even that smaller monasteries cannot cope with the whole Office and have to cut bits here and there. And, related to this, that some substitute the Jesus prayer or the Psalter for the Office. Although I value both of those, I find it sad the unwieldyness of the Office should be a reason for abandoning it and would prefer to find some sort of middle way - of finding a form of the Office that is manageable but still respects something of its structure and richness.
Egeria Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 PS Lovely photos, Marigold. Is that the HTM edition?
brandelynmarie Posted August 30, 2014 Author Posted August 30, 2014 I once - many years ago - found it difficult finding my way around the LOTH. But that is simplicity itself compared to the Byzantine Office, which somebody once said requires about 27 different books to pray properly! I have to confess that there are times when I miss the sober simplicity of the West! Seriously though - although this may be more a matter for an intra-Orthodox discussion - I think that the question of how and when is a challenging one for Orthodox, especially for those of us not in huge monasteries. I keep hearing people say that it's not doable if you're not in a monastery and even that smaller monasteries cannot cope with the whole Office and have to cut bits here and there. And, related to this, that some substitute the Jesus prayer or the Psalter for the Office. Although I value both of those, I find it sad the unwieldyness of the Office should be a reason for abandoning it and would prefer to find some sort of middle way - of finding a form of the Office that is manageable but still respects something of its structure and richness. Intra-Orthodox discussion welcomed here too. :)
brandelynmarie Posted August 30, 2014 Author Posted August 30, 2014 I'm reading & learning ;). And let's just say I'm still on Chapter One...How To Open Your Book :hehe:
marigold Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 I once - many years ago - found it difficult finding my way around the LOTH. But that is simplicity itself compared to the Byzantine Office, which somebody once said requires about 27 different books to pray properly! I have to confess that there are times when I miss the sober simplicity of the West! Seriously though - although this may be more a matter for an intra-Orthodox discussion - I think that the question of how and when is a challenging one for Orthodox, especially for those of us not in huge monasteries. I keep hearing people say that it's not doable if you're not in a monastery and even that smaller monasteries cannot cope with the whole Office and have to cut bits here and there. And, related to this, that some substitute the Jesus prayer or the Psalter for the Office. Although I value both of those, I find it sad the unwieldyness of the Office should be a reason for abandoning it and would prefer to find some sort of middle way - of finding a form of the Office that is manageable but still respects something of its structure and richness. PS Lovely photos, Marigold. Is that the HTM edition? Yes it is. A friend bought it for his doctoral studies and then kindly donated it towards the new monastery. I am its caretaker at the moment! From the expense and sheer size of it, its clearly meant to be a lifetime investment, and to be used liturgically. And it is excellent; it has pretty much everything you need for all services, except certain variables that you would find in the menaion (book of 'propers' or variables such as Scripture readings, extra verses or long hymns). I don't think there's 27 books (!) but certainly you might find yourself using four or five - it can be unwieldy, but it is not suuuuuper difficult, and it does flow according to internal rhythms which become clear when you do it day in and day out. That is, I think, a vital point - Orthodox services presume a life of prayer in the Church, and intimate familiarity with the liturgy, which means learning by doing, one of the very cornerstones of the Orthodox faith. To try and assemble it on paper, it looks like the worst of my failed high school maths exams. Before I started praying from this Great Horologion regularly, I flicked through it and almost gave up at the first reading of some of the red rubrics. But praying a service takes place, not in theory, but on a particular day and date, in a particular season, and following the appointed directions then become much easier and even a pleasure as they reveal depths one didn't know about.
puellapaschalis Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 Orthodox services presume a life of prayer in the Church, and intimate familiarity with the liturgy, which means learning by doing, one of the very cornerstones of the Orthodox faith. To try and assemble it on paper, it looks like the worst of my failed high school maths exams. Before I started praying from this Great Horologion regularly, I flicked through it and almost gave up at the first reading of some of the red rubrics. But praying a service takes place, not in theory, but on a particular day and date, in a particular season, and following the appointed directions then become much easier and even a pleasure as they reveal depths one didn't know about. I've been thinking about this and I think your words I bolded are so very important. I learnt the office from a clergyman, by praying it with others in my parish, and by visiting a monastery nearby (where I wasn't taking part as such, but certainly drinking it all in). Not to say that it's impossible otherwise, but I really believe the best and surest way to learn the office would also be by doing it, in a group of people, and preferably next to someone who can point to the page you need to be on if (when) you get lost :)
marigold Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 Yes, and I think it is even the only way worth doing. Since the entire point of the cycle of services is the instruction of the faithful and the glory of God, to look at it from the outside and try to understand it is not only overwhelming and difficult (since, as I said above, the services will not seem to make sense just with all the rubrics down on paper) but even... pointless? Unless one is studying the historical development of the services, or comparing Catholic-Orthodox practices as we've been doing here...? Maybe I'm being too extreme here, but it has all become so much clearer to me as I've moved from hearing the services in church, to learning my way around them and praying them alone. By the way, I'm still interested to find out what people here do pray, and how they go about it...
Egeria Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 (edited) Marigold, I totally agree with you about learning by doing. I'm sometimes reminded of how I once - many years ago now - came across a copy of the Festal Menaion and got all interested in it, but actually found it as boring as anything when I started reading it! And the reason, of course, apart from the fact that I probably wasn't ready for it, is that the services are not meant to be studied, but to be prayed. I've been reminded of that recently when I have sometimes felt overwhelmed by the hymnography for the Great Feasts. But what I said above was not based on trying to understand the services from outside, but rather of praying them - in both the West and the East, and inside and outside of monasteries (and a parish). And it is also based on what I have heard some some Orthodox clergy and monastics saying - for example, about how the balance has been lost between psalmody and hymnography. These things resonated with me precisely because they reflected my own experience coming into the Orthodox Church (which, admittedly, was probably not typical). I certainly don't want to discourage people from praying the Hours. But I do get concerned when (and this is based on my experience in concrete situations) they are seen as a big service that people put on occasionally for a special occasion rather than as a regular cycle of prayer. I'm more inclined to encourage people to pray a few psalms a day, than to think they need to find all sorts of elaborate books. I'm not knocking the latter - and I have some and use some - but it's a matter of integration and balance and what is achievable in specific situations. And, in that context, I do think that something like the Roman LOTH is much more manageable for many people. In that regard - and touching on your what and how question - I have found your former community's literature helpful. I use it, although I also tend to supplement them with Psalms. But I've found that it is manageable for almost anyone to pray at least part of and that people who I have suggested it to have responded really positively to it. Edited August 31, 2014 by Ash Wednesday Requested to edit for privacy reasons, edited to make references more vague. Any questions just PM me.
puellapaschalis Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 (edited) I do think that the LOTH is a good entryway into learning 'office', but I wish the reformers hadn't been so brutal. The Little Office of the BVM is I think an excellent way to learn, but retains the traditional pattern of how each office works. Edit: e.g. http://office.ageofmary.com/ Edited August 30, 2014 by puellapaschalis
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now