An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Office Is Calling: Learning The Do

brandelynmarie

I'm glad I found this thread because I've just spent the entire day with an intimidating book called The Great Horologion open on my lap. It was donated to the new monastery and since I'm to pray Compline at night and this involves learning the eight tones for the daily hymns, I decided to get a headstart on familiarising myself with the Horologion and pray it from that. It's... complex. I'm familiar with the services obviously (in the Orthodox Church the services are the same whether you're in the monastery or the parish and I've been in both) but learning basic Byzantine chant tones is the easiest part, put it that way! The introductory and ending prayers are memorised, the psalms are easy, even singing the daily hymns and figuring out the logic behind which tones are for what, but then there's this rotating door of extra prayers, extra canticles, extra tones, special melodies, all optional and variable depending on whether it's a Sunday before a such-and-such or the moon is full above the houses, all holding to some inner logic I can't figure out!

But yes, it's kind of addictive, was my point :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJJO6E3228

CountrySteve21

That's how the Holy Spirit gets you.  Like Lay's potato chips for Catholics.   LOTH: Betcha can't pray just one!

:hehe2:

CountrySteve21

I was taught how to pray Divine Office (LOTH in the UK) by the then deacon in my parish. He told me to start with Compline and then work my way up with the rest. But his killer line (poor guy didn't realise) was, "I think the last one you'll add will be Readings," and I looked at him and silently formed the stubborn resolution to be able to do all five within a week.

Those readings are good, though. It's a great way to be introduced to reading Church Fathers you probably otherwise wouldn't come across.

It must have made it a whole lot easier to learn from a Deacon!

Speaking of those Fathers, I was on Ebay and bought 5 books called 'A Word in Season' by augustinian press  its that two year lectionary for the Office of Readings that its talks about in the General Instructions; can't wait for it to arrive  :dance:

puellapaschalis

It must have made it a whole lot easier to learn from a Deacon!

Speaking of those Fathers, I was on Ebay and bought 5 books called 'A Word in Season' by augustinian press  its that two year lectionary for the Office of Readings that its talks about in the General Instructions; can't wait for it to arrive  :dance:

The first thing he did was move my ribbons around. And then tie knots in my ribbons so that they don't unravel.

Books arriving is one of the loveliest anticipations ever, I reckon :drool: :nerd:

brandelynmarie

Books arriving...yes, indeed.... :mail: :bible: :love:

CountrySteve21...let us know what you think of those books ;)

brandelynmarie

I'm glad I found this thread because I've just spent the entire day with an intimidating book called The Great Horologion open on my lap. It was donated to the new monastery and since I'm to pray Compline at night and this involves learning the eight tones for the daily hymns, I decided to get a headstart on familiarising myself with the Horologion and pray it from that. It's... complex. I'm familiar with the services obviously (in the Orthodox Church the services are the same whether you're in the monastery or the parish and I've been in both) but learning basic Byzantine chant tones is the easiest part, put it that way! The introductory and ending prayers are memorised, the psalms are easy, even singing the daily hymns and figuring out the logic behind which tones are for what, but then there's this rotating door of extra prayers, extra canticles, extra tones, special melodies, all optional and variable depending on whether it's a Sunday before a such-and-such or the moon is full above the houses, all holding to some inner logic I can't figure out!

But yes, it's kind of addictive, was my point :)

I weep for the unearthly beauty in your church...so much beauty...

CountrySteve21

Orthodox Liturgies <3 

I just realized  something, this thread is entitled 'learning the DO' have we discussed how to pray the Office yet  :hehe2:

@Marigold How's the Horologion structure compare to the LOTH I'm completely ignorant to Orthodox practices.   :paperbag:

Pax

Edited by CountrySteve21

Orthodox Liturgies <3

I just realized something, this thread is entitled 'learning the DO' have we discussed how to pray the Office yet :hehe2:

@Marigold How's the Horologion structure compare to the LOTH I'm completely ignorant to Orthodox practices. :paperbag:

Pax

If this is what you mean, I photographed the contents page for you: http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/GPlusGroup/imagejpg4_zps4f242685.jpg

The daily cycle is exactly the same, Vespers, Compline, midnight office (which I think is what you now call Readings?), Matins, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th hours (in Latin prime, terce, sext, none).

They are made up of psalms, daily/festal hymns, Scripture, litanies, and prayers according to the time of day. The numbered Hours especially make an emphasis on the corresponding times during Christ's Passion - so at 3rd hour he's being condemned, at noon he's crucified, at 9th hour he's died. Matins is by far the most complex and variable, but also my favourite. The one thing everyone knows from Vespers is the hymn 'O Gladsome Light' which is one of the oldest Christian prayers, dating to the 2C.

'O gladsome light of the holy glory of the immortal heavenly holy blessed father, Jesus Christ, now that we have come to the setting of the sun and see the light of evening, we praise God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For right it is at all times to worship thee with voices of praise, O Son of God and giver of life, therefore all the world glorifies thee!' Edited by marigold

puellapaschalis

Those are some wonderful pictures, Marigold!

The traditional Western pattern of the Office is:

Matins/Night Office/Vigils (called Readings in the LOTH, and no longer tied to the night/early morning/evening before)

Lauds

Prime

Terce

Sext

None

Vespers

Compline

In LOTH this has become, if memory serves:

Readings

Morning Prayer

Prayer before Midday

Midday Prayer

Afternoon Prayer

Evening Prayer

Night Prayer

Prime was suppressed in the post-Conciliar reform. Before Midday, Midday and Afternoon roughly coincide with Terce, Sext and None, but only one is required for those under canonical obligation.

Before Midday, Midday and Afternoon roughly coincide with Terce, Sext and None, but only one is required for those under canonical obligation.

Just answered my own question by actually reading what you wrote. Duh

CountrySteve21

Books arriving...yes, indeed.... :mail: :bible: :love:

CountrySteve21...let us know what you think of those books ;)

Those books arrived a couple days ago.  :bounce:

There wonderful, it give lots and lots of readings for the Hours, plus it came with a Monastic lectionary for the Benedictine's :love: 

I also found online the Scripture references for the Lectionary too.. http://www.stutler.cc/russ/2yrlectionary_yr_1.html