An Old School Catholic Message Board

Because We Love Them, We Respect Them

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Just a quick note --

I and others have observed a startling lack of respect for the privacy of young religious. Posting pictures, names, locations, etc. of young religious is unacceptable and just plain rude. If you do not have that person's express permission to post said picture, name, location, etc., you really should refrain from sharing it in such a public place (if at all).

If you are friends with that person and they choose to share photos, experiences, names, locations, etc., you should be an amesome friend and keep each of those things private unless asked to share with others -- or, as I mentioned before, you receive express permission to share.

Yes, it is an exciting time, and certainly we want to pray for each of our religious, but we can do so without every intimate detail of their person or of their experiences in and out of the monastery/convent. This is especially true of phatmassers who have left us to join the convent, since after all, we have their screennames to remember them by. I'm pretty sure God will know who you are talking about if you say you'd like Him to bless the171.

Because we love them, we respect them (and their privacy).  :like:

Then again...if all this information can be found on the internet..then "privacy" is non exsistant.(and respect isnt really the issue then) If it is not readily found anywhere ..and someone has this person's personal info..and is publishing it..so to speak..then YES that would be a breach..and disrectful..if one did not have their permission to do so!!

I don't believe people have posted anything that is not on the Internet, posted by their Congregation/Institute/Monastery. Because it IS on the internet, that makes it public....as I'm sure those who are posting it in the first place know very well. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Francis Clare

franciscanheart

If you happen to know someone from phatmass is joining a certain monastery, convent, whatever, and you want to go follow the journey of all the young aspirants, you should absolutely do so. But to take an image posted elsewhere (not labeled with names or given any affiliation with a site like phatmass), it is disrespectful to that person's privacy to take that image, post it here, and let everyone know that a phatmass member is among them.

Specifically, the171 has access to the internet and will post her updates as she pleases. She is also in touch with a number of members here; each of them are happy to post on her behalf when/if she requests.

Plenty of people here know exactly who I am, are friends with me on various social networking sites, and have access to my personal information. I should hope that if I ever join a convent, they will not feel it their "right" to post whatever they see or hear about my experiences in that place. If you wouldn't do it when I'm not in the convent, why would you do it after I entered? Because it's disrespectful of my privacy.

Franciscan Heart I do not know you so I will excuse your tone of voice. If you have been around here for a number of years, you will have seen that I have listed the pictures of new religious for the past at least 4 years,  and have gotten a lot of thank yous. You and noone else knows this but part of what I do is purchase masses to be said in their classes honor  when they enter and at their professions. I have also done special things for others whom I considered friends such as sending rosaries or flowers at holidays.

It has never been my intent to be hurtful in any way and no information has ever been obtained from any source that is not public domain.

Furthermore, when I noticed that the picture from 171 was no longer on VS, I emailed Dust asking him for information. Not an hour ago I replied to an email from Credo that I had determined that I would no longer post this information.  All of this done behind the scenes to not cause this drama.that your public post has caused. I accept this though as you behaved in the same manner by publicly addressing the issue that I made public.

There have been post for as far back as VS has been here of favorite order, favorite habits, unique nun pictures etc. but I will no longer be a contributor of this information.

Credo in Deum

I think the message is clear, however, we should try have a good outlook on our friends who may have made a mistake by posting this information. Especially since this same person also was the one to request that the thread be deleted because they were sorry for posting the information. 

Lily May Gath

I am very sad to see this topic. I have never posted before, but have read the Phorum for a while now.

Phatmass has always seemed to be a very sensitive place.

The moderators will shut down any topic they don't like the tone of very fast.

I agree that anything that is on the internet is now public knowledge.

If anyone asks anything about communities that people are over-sensitive about, like numbers leaving, who has entered etc., then they are shut down faster than you can say 'Monastery'.

I do not see where this topic has sprung from. The Forum is a supportive place. I am afraid that once information is public then people are going to ask how someone is getting on etc... and once you have told people, then, you just have to develop a thicker skin. If that draws questions, then there is no point in crying over spoilt milk.

This is not meant in the least unkindly, or in any way that is not supportive of those who are entering.

franciscanheart

Franciscan Heart I do not know you so I will excuse your tone of voice. If you have been around here for a number of years, you will have seen that I have listed the pictures of new religious for the past at least 4 years,  and have gotten a lot of thank yous. You and noone else knows this but part of what I do is purchase masses to be said in their classes honor  when they enter and at their professions. I have also done special things for others whom I considered friends such as sending rosaries or flowers at holidays.

It has never been my intent to be hurtful in any way and no information has ever been obtained from any source that is not public domain.

Furthermore, when I noticed that the picture from 171 was no longer on VS, I emailed Dust asking him for information. Not an hour ago I replied to an email from Credo that I had determined that I would no longer post this information.  All of this done behind the scenes to not cause this drama.that your public post has caused. I accept this though as you behaved in the same manner by publicly addressing the issue that I made public.

There have been post for as far back as VS has been here of favorite order, favorite habits, unique nun pictures etc. but I will no longer be a contributor of this information.

My tone of voice? :huh: But... you can't hear my voice...

Credo in Deum

I am very sad to see this topic. I have never posted before, but have read the Phorum for a while now.

Phatmass has always seemed to be a very sensitive place.

The moderators will shut down any topic they don't like the tone of very fast.

I agree that anything that is on the internet is now public knowledge.

If anyone asks anything about communities that people are over-sensitive about, like numbers leaving, who has entered etc., then they are shut down faster than you can say 'Monastery'.

I do not see where this topic has sprung from. The Forum is a supportive place. I am afraid that once information is public then people are going to ask how someone is getting on etc... and once you have told people, then, you just have to develop a thicker skin. If that draws questions, then there is no point in crying over spoilt milk.

This is not meant in the least unkindly, or in any way that is not supportive of those who are entering.

I don't like your tone.  Don't make me shut you down.

Le sigh. Why does this always happen in VS?

To be clear, the171 messaged me about the picture and how her name AND identity were being associated with the image. It wasn't a random image of sisters we should pray for -- she was identified in the picture and her real name was used. THAT is what was not okay, and why I hid the thread until I was able to edit it further. Credo followed up with the OP, who asked that the thread just be deleted.

VS has always been a place where pictures of sisters can be posted and communities an be prayed for. However, there is a fine line between posting an image and revealing personal information. Just because I can google information about you doesn't mean I should spread it over the Internet.

Thank you for understanding. And, in the future, when you post, think about how you'd feel if someone else posted the same things about you.

Credo in Deum

Le sigh. Why does this always happen in VS?

To be clear, the171 messages me about the picture and how her name AND identity were being associated with the image. It wasn't a random image of sisters we should pray for -- she was identified in the picture and her real name was used. THAT is what was not okay, and why I hid the thread until I was able to edit it further. Credo followed up with the OP, who asked that the thread just be deleted.

VS has always been a place where pictures of sisters can be posted and communities an be prayed for. However, there is a fine line between posting an image and revealing personal information. Just because I can google information about you doesn't mean I should spread it over the Internet.

Thank you for understanding. And, in the future, when you post, think about how you'd feel if someone else posted the same things about you.

Clearly you were being too sensitive when you took that course of action. ;)