An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers, Please! May Be Signing Out Of Vocation Station...

Ancilla Domini

I think Kayte Postle has a very good idea... and it has the advantage of letting you see first hand how well you like Benedictine monastic life.... and also preserving the option of checking out the Benedictines of Mary at some point in the future if you still feel attracted down the line.  

Sister has asked you to wait until you are sure... so this has the advantage of honoring that while still letting you discern a bit... without committing yourself.

Many communities are cool with someone who is not 100% sure coming for a visit... I think it is just taht the Benedictines of Mary may be a bit overrun with vocations... not positive, but I get that sense....

To my mind, you have plenty of time to just live a bit before you need to make any final decisions... but a visit would be helpful.

Praying for you....

Ancilla Domini

Perhaps you could visit another Benedictine convent? While I know you are only interested in the Benedictines of Mary, there are a few other Benies that are similar to them. Clear Creek, and Regina Laudis are also Traditional Latin Mass communities, and they also live out monastic life in a similar way to the BoM's,  That way you could still go on a visit, (with a community of the same family), to better discern if you are called to religious life.

Praying for you in this season of life!

Thank you, Kayte, that's very good advice. :) I'm also very young - I have time to visit and figure out. ;)

Ancilla Domini

I'm thinking that I may like to visit the PC convent in Barhamsville, Virginia. The Poor Clares order have always been very dear to me, and I discerned with them for a while. I know Phoenix, who is a postulant there, and I also know a couple of girls who have gone on retreats there. They said it was a wonderful convent, and their time there was extremely peaceful and helpful in their discernment.

I hope I'm doing the right thing! :)

In Corde Matris,

– Cilla

Ancilla Domini

It seems I'm more active in VS now that I'm having doubts about my vocation than when I was sure of it...

Maybe I was taking it too much for granted... :unsure:

Credo in Deum

It seems I'm more active in VS now that I'm having doubts about my vocation than when I was sure of it...
Maybe I was taking it too much for granted... :unsure:

Don't despair, AD. When we pray God can respond in three ways: "Yes", "No" and "Wait". I think most of us miss the third one. I know I do. :)

ChristinaTherese

Let us know how it is! I've been thinking that whenever I get to discerning in earnest I might want to take a look at them....

The Poor Clares in Barhamsville said that I could visit! :)

This is lovely news AD..................many prayers are coming your way.!!

Ancilla Domini

Those poor poor Clares! Jk

Great news!

:evil:

Let us know how it is! I've been thinking that whenever I get to discerning in earnest I might want to take a look at them....

I'll post a description of my visit, after I go. :)

This is lovely news AD..................many prayers are coming your way.!!

Thanks, Jennirom! :)

PhuturePriest

Being eighteen and having discerned since I was fourteen, I can tell you there's absolutely no reason to rush. Teens such as myself get really excited about things they're passionate about, and they demand to do what they feel called to faster than the speed of light. Now that I'm allegedly an adult, I see that all of that rushing was absolutely useless. There was no need to try and figure out my vocation then, and there's no need for you to, either. The beautiful thing about discernment is that we don't have to do anything; it's when we try to do things that we screw everything up. Let God do what He wants, sit back, and just do whatever he tells you.

When I was fifteen, all I wanted to do was go and join the Franciscan Brothers Minor. I was certain that's what God wanted me to do, and I wanted it to happen right then. When I finally got to visit them last month after three years, I could barely stand ten minutes with them. It was the wise man Dumbledore who once said "...the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them." After having finally experienced religious life, I can tell you it would drain the life out of me and make me incredibly miserable, when for three years I would have bet all the money in the world it would make me fulfilled. Just sit back, trust that God has a plan and he won't let you stray from it if you stay close to him, and all will be well in the end. There's no need to rush, and there's no need to stress over it.

Edited by FuturePacker

AveMariaPurissima

From everything I've heard, the PCC's in Barhamsville are a lovely community, and I've thought about visiting them myself.  Hope your time there is filled with many blessings! :)

Being eighteen and having discerned since I was fourteen, I can tell you there's absolutely no reason to rush. Teens such as myself get really excited about things they're passionate about, and they demand to do what they feel called to faster than the speed of light. Now that I'm allegedly an adult, I see that all of that rushing was absolutely useless. There was no need to try and figure out my vocation then, and there's no need for you to, either. The beautiful thing about discernment is that we don't have to do anything; it's when we try to do things that we screw everything up. Let God do what He wants, sit back, and just do whatever he tells you.

When I was fifteen, all I wanted to do was go and join the Franciscan Brothers Minor. I was certain that's what God wanted me to do, and I wanted it to happen right then. When I finally got to visit them last month after three years, I could barely stand ten minutes with them. It was the wise man Dumbledore who once said "...the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them." After having finally experienced religious life, I can tell you it would drain the life out of me and make me incredibly miserable, when for three years I would have bet all the money in the world it would make me fulfilled. Just sit back, trust that God has a plan and he won't let you stray from it if you stay close to him, and all will be well in the end. There's no need to rush, and there's no need to stress over it.

Ah, I remember those heady FFM days of yore! We couldn't shut you up if we tried. And we did try  :hehe:

[edited to correct the abbreviation...]

Edited by marigold