An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's A Shocking Thing... But We've Known It Would Happen....

AnneLine

PhuturePriest

As you know, there are a lot of karate myths with zero basis in reality. Especially with English sources.

Indeed. Unfortunately, even trusted sources can be wrong.

Nihil Obstat

Indeed. Unfortunately, even trusted sources can be wrong.

Very true. Even the most famous people in the karate world are known to have seriously exaggerated. It is a cultural thing, in their cases.

PhuturePriest

Very true. Even the most famous people in the karate world are known to have seriously exaggerated. It is a cultural thing, in their cases.

This is why I like Catholicism. There is of course a chance Cardinal Ratzinger said something wrong in his hundreds of books, but it is highly unlikely, whereas even revered authorities on karate like Peter Urban have been known to say things which are wrong, even in their books.

Nihil Obstat

This is why I like Catholicism. There is of course a chance Cardinal Ratzinger said something wrong in his hundreds of books, but it is highly unlikely, whereas even revered authorities on karate like Peter Urban have been known to say things which are wrong, even in their books.

Even someone as pre-eminent as Funakoshi. And especially when you have taken it out of its cultural context and translated it to a very dissimilar language.

PhuturePriest

Even someone as pre-eminent as Funakoshi. And especially when you have taken it out of its cultural context and translated it to a very dissimilar language.

One unfortunate aspect of karate: Uncatechized Catholics getting into the mix and eating up all the spirituality like it's no big deal. I have a master in my school up in New York who is Catholic and sometimes posts Catholic stuff, but I saw him just recently speaking about using "good chi/prana energy". It's also worth noting that he is unfortunately a Mason.

PhuturePriest

I'm surprised he actually waited, I never paid attention to the age limit thing. 

I went in there before once. I looked at all the threads, but didn't post or like any of the posts. I told MIkolbe about it (he was still a moderator at the time) and I think he said something like he would look past it if I sent him a bucket of chicken in recompense.

veritasluxmea

I went in there before once. I looked at all the threads, but didn't post or like any of the posts. I told MIkolbe about it (he was still a moderator at the time) and I think he said something like he would look past it if I sent him a bucket of chicken in recompense.

That's so cute.  :hehe2: Guilty conscience eh