An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Postulant!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

AveMariaPurissima

I saw this on fb and wondered who would be the first to post it on PM - Sr. MC, or Iggy? ;)

Actually, I saw it on fb too, and I thought about posting it, but I figured it would be more appropriate to let Sr. MC make the announcement. ;)

Congratulations to Sr. Emily!  May God bless her!

IgnatiusofLoyola

I saw this on fb and wondered who would be the first to post it on PM - Sr. MC, or Iggy? ;)

I thought that I'd let Sister Mary Catharine spread the good news. A new "bluebird" for the Community!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sister Mary Catharine--For those of us not on Facebook, would it be possible to post the pictures on the Summit blog? Thanks!

What a perfect day for a new postulant to enter!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Thanks! I was on the Summit blog just a couple of hours ago and I couldn't see the extra pictures or a link to the pictures. However, I don't know whether these pictures were just added now to the blog, or (more likely) I simply couldn't see the pictures because of quirks in my computer connection/browser. The reason doesn't matter now--I could see the pictures when I used your link.

I love all the pictures! I'm surprised the nuns gave the babies back to their parents! After all, in the past, we've kiddingly called young-looking postulants "baby nuns." With such cute babies, it must have been very hard for the nuns not to take this literally!! However, the religious life DOES call for sacrifice....

It's so wonderful when we get to see whole families there to support a postulant as she enters!

Thanks! I was on the Summit blog just a couple of hours ago and I couldn't see the extra pictures or a link to the pictures. However, I don't know whether these pictures were just added now to the blog, or (more likely) I simply couldn't see the pictures because of quirks in my computer connection/browser. The reason doesn't matter now--I could see the pictures when I used your link.

I love all the pictures! I'm surprised the nuns gave the babies back to their parents! After all, in the past, we've kiddingly called young-looking postulants "baby nuns." With such cute babies, it must have been very hard for the nuns not to take this literally!! However, the religious life DOES call for sacrifice....

It's so wonderful when we get to see whole families there to support a postulant as she enters!

Oh the baby pics are the best, and I learned that the rules of enclosure dont apply to cute babies.  It probably reads something like "and the nuns shall be strictly enclosed, going out only for very serious, very necessary things, and only with super special permission shall tradesmen enter the cloister for work purposes, or the bishop or a priest may enter with permission HOWEVER all cute and adorable babies may be passed into the cloister to be hugged and cooed over endlessly with the only stipulation being that the baby MUST be returned to its parents at an appropriate time.  The baby shall not be kept no matter how cute and cuddly.   

IgnatiusofLoyola

Oh the baby pics are the best, and I learned that the rules of enclosure dont apply to cute babies.  It probably reads something like "and the nuns shall be strictly enclosed, going out only for very serious, very necessary things, and only with super special permission shall tradesmen enter the cloister for work purposes, or the bishop or a priest may enter with permission HOWEVER all cute and adorable babies may be passed into the cloister to be hugged and cooed over endlessly with the only stipulation being that the baby MUST be returned to its parents at an appropriate time.  The baby shall not be kept no matter how cute and cuddly.   

These pictures made me wonder how other Communities/Orders handle the issue of whether the rules of enclosure apply to infants, especially if the monastery has a grille or screen in the visiting parlor. (Based on pictures of the Summit Dominicans' visiting parlor, it appears that the grille in the visiting parlor can be either open or closed, depending on the circumstances.)

I got a very silly image in my head of a baby being passed through the turn! (I'd LOVE to see a picture of that!) More realistically, perhaps one of the extern nuns would be allowed to bring an infant into the cloister.

Then I thought of the very poignant passage in "In This House of Brede," where a visitor brings her new baby to the visiting parlor, and, because of the grille, Sister Cecily is only able to reach far enough for the baby to grasp her finger. However, that novel is about a pre-Vatican II community, and it made me wonder to what extent things had changed. As is so often the case in VS, the answer almost certainly is that it varies by Order and Community.

Sorry for getting off-topic....

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Iggy, they are there on the blog. It's not an external link. I'm not sure why you couldn't see them. Hmmm.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Here they used to pass babies through the turn! It was a "thing" to be able to tell someone that as a baby they came in on the turn! :saint2:  I like to carry them to the window and show them the garden so that when they get big I can embarrass them and tell them I did that!