An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woman, 29, Will End Her Life In Nov. 1

Ice_nine

Credo in Deum

I will be honest and tell you a couple hours earlier while arguing on here I hit like on the Brittany die with dignity Facebook page. The first post I went to was a post defending laws being passed for this and why they should be passed. I looked at the likes on the post I was reading right in plain sight it showed exactly 666. I then went and hit unlike on the page and took it as a direct sign from the Holy Spirit. So I'm not saying I'm for laws or anything like that. But I spent all morning on Facebook reading hateful post from Catholics calling this young woman a coward over and over again. I was really in amazement to read so much of it over and over. There was very little love or compassion for her. I know believe the girl is not in hell. Purgatory mabey. I understand you crusaders Catholics who hold to the doctrines of the Church have to leave the hell option open but it's just ridiculous and that this is in keeping with the Catholic Faith. It really is. Anyhow sorry for losing my temper. This was really sad and the sadness turned into anger from a bunch of pharisees throwing stones at a girls who's dead. A girl with terminal brain cancer who had two really sh***y options to choose from. I remember the gospel from over a month ago where Jesus are kind loving merciful Lord said the PROSTITUTES and tax collectors are getting into heaven before the self righteous hypocrites. So I'm pretty sure Brittany will get into heaven and probably a hell of alot quicker then all the Catholics who call her a coward and bash her in their vain glory and deceit. Lord have mercy on them for they know not what they do.

Fixed.

First of all I doubt that any of Brittany's family or friends will stumble upon this phatmass discussion. Probably gonna be like the tenth page on a google search. But In any case I offer prayers for the repose of her soul and for her family.

Now, no one here is saying the girl is in hell. We're just saying we don't know. I have hopes that, perhaps in her final moments before her death, she made peace with God. There was a documentary once about people who jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge. One of the jumpers was a survivor. He said the moment he let go of the railing, he regretted his decision, he knew he made a mistake. Fortunately he was able to live with rather severe injuries. I'm sure there are other people who are "saved" from their suicide attempt that are bitter about being rescued, but I imagine many people feel the way that man did, regret, remorse. Unfortunately for most  it's too late.

I believe God is most merciful, but I also believe He won't force anyone to choose Him. There are many things that are more enticing than taking up a cross, and repenting when we abandon our crosses for an easier option. I don't think God gives us more than we can bear without his assistance. In any case I don't presume to know the status of anyone's soul, which is why I continue to pray for deceased loved ones years after they pass. You never know.

Also, I can say for myself that the Church's teaching on suicide, ingrained in me from a young age, was probably a significant reason why I didn't choose to off myself during my own deep depression. No one ever talks about that really. Hell is a fearful thing, perhaps enough so to keep on surviving when all other reasons to live fail. Staying silent on the possibility of Hell is a disservice to everyone.

it is a bit presumptious on anyones part to claim to know where this poor girl has or will end up, let alone to start quoting scripture or dogma and thusly claim to know exactly what God is going to do.  The best anyone can do is to pray for her soul, and to work towards and pray for the end of these legalized suicide operations that are out there.

but obviously this isn't a thread to pray for her and her family, and to discuss how to end such suicide places in our country, it is now spun into who can flash their badges and claim that they absolutely know for sure how God judges people.

KnightofChrist

I'd like to see actual specifics from the accusers (judges) of Catholics who have spoken out against this woman's suicide. Name names give detailed or specific offenses.

Edited by KnightofChrist

It was on the Facebook page of the Priest who's on Fox. Morris. He made a post and they came out of the woodwork. She was called a coward probably at least a 100 times if not more.

KnightofChrist

It was on the Facebook page of the Priest who's on Fox. Morris. He made a post and they came out of the woodwork. She was called a coward probably at least a 100 times if not more.

I thought we were talking about people here, Catholics, here. I see a lot of jackholes from all sides of every issue act like jackholes on Facebook. I just hate generalized vague accusations of certain groups, even more so when it's I heard so-in-so over at this other place talk smack about something. Eh..

KnightofChrist

No I wasn't talking here.

No, I suppose you were not, I'm not sure about the other people who also made accusations.

Well I guess I could just be lying if that's want you want to believe go for it. Or go look at Morris'so thread. Either one is an option.

Edited by Guest

It wasn't a generalized vague accusation. It was quite specific. They were calling her a coward and some insinuating she would be in hell. Hence my anger.

Edited by Guest

Josh, the teaching on unconditional love and Jesus' instruction to "Judge not, lest you be judged" applies to all of us. It is judgmental to write that people you don't know are self-righteous and hate-filled and to talk about them as "these people". That is not a compassionate way to speak. Jesus did not say that non-judgmental attitudes are just for the people you like and find easy not to judge. We're meant to show this patience and kindness to people who have made us angry. Euthanasia is a topic that provokes strong reactions from a lot of people, for various reasons. Some people may respond in a callous way, but who knows the reasons for that? Perhaps they have a terminally ill family member or friend themselves and the idea of euthanasia is so painful to them that they lash out. As Christians, we need to remember that we can't read hearts or minds and we don't know the reasons why people behave as they do. Only God knows. We should encourage people to be compassionate, yes, but this can only be done through our example - we need to show that kindness to everyone we come across, and not go leaping to judge their feelings and motives.

No one here is treating Brittany as a damned sinner and neither was Fr. Brian.  We do not know the state of Brittany's soul and so we can have the hope of praying for her.   Yet, we cannot be silent about the truth that those who know better will an do go to Hell for committing suicide.   And we are called to wield the truth of the moral law because this Truth is Christ!  While Brittany could have been saved due to her ignorance, the guilt of what she did then passes to those who knew better but were silent.   If a man denied the law of gravity because he truly did not believe in it and walked off a cliff then we can hope that he was saved.   However, for those who knew better and knew the laws of gravity existed but were silent and did not help the man by telling him a truth hard for his ears and did not want to say it to him out of motives of false compassion and human respect.  Well those people are now guilty of his death and will answer for it on the last day.   And what will be your defense?  Will you say like Cain "am I my brothers keeper?" and do you think you will be justified with that reply?

Christ is more Love and compassion, understanding, than He is wielding the truth of the moral law like a flaming sword.  Suicide is grave matter - mortal sin is something completely different and two other concurrent conditions are required with grave matter for mortal sin.  Truth without Love and compassion can only be a half truth.  The CCC tells us that exterior pressure which serious and terminal illness would be would be a mitigating factor on "full consent".  This too is the law.

My point was not to withhold the gravity of suicide, rather to speak of it but with love and compassion for those who suffer deeply and far more than probably the most of us can insight let alone understand.

What will be the defense of some on the last day? "To me the law was far more important than mercy with compassion and concern"?

The fire that Jesus came to cast on the earth was the fire of Love.

Matthew 5:7
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Matthew 9:13
Go then and learn what this meaneth, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I am not come to call the just, but sinners.

Edited by BarbaraTherese